Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 532 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the tradition of other threads where I document the changes... Here it goes.

Details on the bike: 2016 Triumph Thruxton R in Silver Ice
Purchased date: November 12, 2016
Miles on odometer: 8

Photo the day I bought it (if I can get one before the post disables updates... ) : Generic photo for now

Parts bought with the purchase of the bike:
  • ALUMINIUM SUMP PLATE - BLACK ANODISED - PART NUMBER: A9708380
  • CNC MACHINED FORK PROTECTORS - PART NUMBER: A9640107
  • ENGINE PROTECTOR KIT - PART NUMBER: A9618149
  • KNEE PADS - PART NUMBER: A9798017
  • CAFÉ RACER FAIRING - PART NUMBER: A9708412
  • DRESSER BAR - BLACK - PART NUMBER: A9788022
  • LEATHER TANK STRAP - BLACK - PART NUMBER: A9798010
  • MACHINED OIL FILLER CAP - GUNMETAL ANODISED - PART NUMBER: A9610240
  • PADDOCK STAND BOBBINS - BLACK - PART NUMBER: A9640048
  • VALVE CAPS - LASER ETCHED CHROME - PART NUMBER: A2009006

Ordered:
  • Short Clutch Brake Levers -Black with gold adjuster - eBay
  • Triumph CHAIN GUARD, ALLOY, CLR Part Number A2054007
  • FRONT LED INDICATOR KIT - SHORT STEM - PART NUMBER: A9838023
  • REAR LED INDICATOR KIT - SHORT STEM - PART NUMBER: A9838039
  • Solution for mounting a phone - Ram Mount Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base - will do the same as in this thread. Since I will have the fairing, installing on the bar clamp is not an option. I will have to drill the steering head nut and install it there... Just in case, a new is upper yoke nut is cheap Part Number T2049880. I will get one, drill it and install this in the center to see how it works out. Or go with the solution from Triumph Phone Holder Kit Yoke - Part Number A9510324

Planned mods:
  • Triumph RESERVOIR, FRONT, MACHINED, Part Number A9628041
  • SW-MOTECH Blaze Sport Saddlebag System - thanks to the feedback of the forum, I cancelled the Triumph bags and will order these instead. Twisted Throttle
  • Euro Spec LH Control - Part Number T2041822 - For same daylight running light setup as Europe
  • Euro Spec Headlight with DLR - Part Number T2706522 - For same daylight running light setup as Europe
  • Helmet Lock Shock Right - eBay
  • Wrap cowl with 3M clear film. If not, pretty sure that at some point it will be scratched by my boot as I swing my leg over it...

Useful videos and links:

Found a video of the process to install the fairing. Since I am staying with the stock bars setup, I should be able to skip some of the steps.

And installation pdf: http://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9708412-EN.pdf

Also - Link to all installation instructions for Triumph accessories

http://www.triumphinstructions.com/default.aspx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice post, but have you already purchased the bike or are you planning on doing it? Your purchase date is 4 days after your actual post.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice post, but have you already purchased the bike or are you planning on doing it? Your purchase date is 4 days after your actual post.
I pick it up on Saturday. :wink2: Used to have a local dealer a few minutes away, Magic Cycles, but they dropped the brand. So had to buy it in Tampa (2 hours away) and can't go pick it up until Saturday. Everything is done and Mark (Sales guy @ Triumph of Tampa) is following up with the parts department to make sure all parts are available for pick up when I get the bike.

I am doing the install of the parts... so all boxes go in the car and wife drives the car back while I ride the motorcycle. It will be a nice break-in ride home.

Which reminds me... need to get a few oil and air filters while I am at the dealer...and see if a workshop manual is already available to purchase.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added a few things to the list...

Ram mount for the phone/gps

Helmet lock. I like this design... will need to validate if it works with the new bikes.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Those saddle bags you ordered are not for the TTR. The R has no rear seat, CafÉ style - solo saddle.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Those saddle bags you ordered are not for the TTR. The R has no rear seat, CafÉ style - solo saddle.
Fellow forum member @Tx_Thruxton, has them and he mentioned these working on the TTR. He was able to install them under the seat. Leaving stock seat with cowl in place.

I ended up going with the SW-Motech Blaze due to the ability to remove everything quickly when needed. They fit well and you can run the strap under our seats for a little more security. Have not rode with them yet but they seem very sturdy. Love the included waterproof liners and expansion joint.
http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/743866-thuxton-saddlebags-4.html#post8515802

I have not order them. They are in my future mods list but I cancelled the Triumph bags based on the above.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Have a look at the yoke mounted A9510325 iPhone holder for the Thruxton R.
(Thank you Andy).

The handlebar mounted item won't fit with the fairing.
Do you have photo of it mounted on the yoke? Can't figure out how it mounts.

My plan was to drill the yoke nut and install this (10.00 from Amazon). And just move what I use on the other bike to this one.

This is what I have in my other bike... it would be just to remove the phone clamp and mount on the ball in the Thruxton yoke.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fellow forum member @Tx_Thruxton, has them and he mentioned these working on the TTR. He was able to install them under the seat. Leaving stock seat with cowl in place.

http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/743866-thuxton-saddlebags-4.html#post8515802

I have not order them. They are in my future mods list but I cancelled the Triumph bags based on the above.
I will try and snap a pic today with the Solo seat over the saddlebag strap to give you an idea of that configuration. Also the saddle bag kit includes 2 large Paint Protection Film sheets for installation on bikes where they may touch a painted fairing or cowl. That company really does try to cover everything.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is how my triumph yoke mount looks. Using the part number is A9510325 (That is for the smaller phone holder), the triumph website shows a bar mount clamp but the photo is incorrect.

Thank you! Makes sense now. Wrong photo listed for it. Can you share what phone you have? I have an iPhone 7 Plus... just making sure I order the correct one. Edit: iPhone 7 Plus dimensions: 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm (6.23 x 3.07 x 0.29 in), so I will have to order the larger one...

That setup looks trick!

I was able to find the install instructions: http://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9510325-EN.pdf

That cleared things up! Thank you again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the 5c, the case has elastic/velcro straps and a foam pad which hold the phone in place and up against the clear window. I assume the larger 140x90mm phone holder which you will need for the iPhone 7 will have the same set up.

Not sure if that one has the cable port on the short edge as well as the long edge shown in the image in the Triumph website. You might need to check that if you want to charge the phone. I'm not really familiar with that phone.

I can say that the one i have is really great quality though and the metal mount looks pretty trick as fas as phone holders go.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will try and snap a pic today with the Solo seat over the saddlebag strap to give you an idea of that configuration. Also the saddle bag kit includes 2 large Paint Protection Film sheets for installation on bikes where they may touch a painted fairing or cowl. That company really does try to cover everything.
That would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Tx_Thruxton you rock! Thank you!

Not sure if it is the camera angle in addition to the bike leaning on the stand, but they look weird on this photo...

Love the fact that this setup can be easily removed and only the bottom bracket is left behind. Sweet setup.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
@Tx_Thruxton you rock! Thank you!

Not sure if it is the camera angle in addition to the bike leaning on the stand, but they look weird on this photo...

Love the fact that this setup can be easily removed and only the bottom bracket is left behind. Sweet setup.
Would you mind posting a pic with it removed? I'd like to see what the bracket looks like. I'm going to need something to get groceries with, but I definitely don't want to ride around with bags when not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would you mind posting a pic with it removed? I'd like to see what the bracket looks like. I'm going to need something to get groceries with, but I definitely don't want to ride around with bags when not absolutely necessary.
Not my bike, I just reposted the photos from @Tx_Thruxton since for me, it is difficult to see the attachments.

In the video you can see what is left behind on the bike... only a small black bracket where the support for the bag connects

·
Premium Member
197 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
One more question TX, you ordered the one for the Thruxton ( no R subsection) and the mounting the lower bar for the bags just attach to the subframe triangle that supports the muffler correct?

1 - 20 of 532 Posts