Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, just joined the forum. For my first street motorcycle (grew up on 2 strokes), I purchased a '95 Trident 900 with 12K miles from an older gentleman who took great care of her but couldn't balance a two-wheeler anymore. I've already put 500 miles on her!

The bike had been stored undisturbed for 9 years, so here's what I've done to get her back on the road:
-Mikuni carbs reseal
-Dynojet Stage 1 jet kit
-Replaced OEM fuel tap and all fuel lines
-New tires (Pirelli Angel GT)
-F+R brake pads
-All fluids flushed (oil, gas, brake fluid, coolant)
-Spark plugs
-OEM airbox/filter assy.
-Battery
-Aftermarket rear turn signals
-Added extra bar-end mirror for visibility

The bodywork and mechanicals are perfect, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm in love- there is no other word. The gutteral growl of the Hinckley triple is sonorous. The cornering is confident. The rush when you crack open the throttle and feel the wave of Triple torque shoving you forward- awesome. I couldn't have found a more perfect bike.

I like unique vehicles and this bike was a rare find- I haven't yet seen another Triumph on the roads where I live, let alone a Hinckley triple. I've been a connoisseur of antiques since I began driving and currently own a BMW E24 6-series "Shark" and a VW Super Beetle convertible- can you believe that in the US this Trident is now legally an antique at 25 years old!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Nice find!

I put a hundred thousand miles on my '95 885.

Be sure to keep the battery fresh. The starter clutch doesn't like less than a full charge.

Enjoy!

Keith

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome to the forum and what a great find! I have only seen one other Trident 900 and that was at the dealer in 1997 when I bought my Thunderbird. I wonder what ever happened to that one...maybe I should search for it. :D

Enjoy your new ride!

Noel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be sure to keep the battery fresh. The starter clutch doesn't like less than a full charge.
I've done some reading on this and it's a bit scary. My engine case does not have the convenient access plates that the earlier 900 production cases do.

As a result, I treat it very gingerly. Always start the bike in neutral, clutch-in, and roll back to ensure the clutch packs aren't stuck together before cranking. I'm so paranoid about it, I put the bike on the battery tender even if it is just sitting overnight!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the find! The Pirelli Angel GT tire is a great choice for that bike. I bought my Trident new in '97 and have tried just about everything over the years. It definitely likes the Pirellis best.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Regarding the access plates on engine, I think that by 1995--the first year the Colonies officially saw the T3 lineup for sale here--the engines had been redesigned without the plates.

I imagine there may be a few of the older ones running around, but not many, I bet. Congrats! I'd love to find a Trident.

·
Registered
107 Posts
well done . I had a Trident Sprint for ~20 years great bikes.
got to echo brgsprint ... . get a battery charger / tender.
generally trouble free bikes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts