Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good zen comes from keeping accurate track of what you've done.

A few years ago, I made this excel maintenance log. If anyone is interested, here it is. It is made in office '07, but it will work just fine when opened in '03 with the conversion pack.

There's one sheet with instructions, read it first.

If you have any questions, ask away.

(And I'll take any suggestions too) :)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
This is too funny :jestera

·
Registered
187 Posts
WOW--I have a piece of paper and it is 1 page front and 1/2 way down the back for my 2001. This scores a 10 out of 10 on the anal retentive scale.
That being said I would buy your bike in a heart beat! Nice job. Not sure I would need all 7 interactive sheets together for my needs--a bit to much for my small brain.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
WOW--I have a piece of paper and it is 1 page front and 1/2 way down the back for my 2001. This scores a 10 out of 10 on the anal retentive scale.
That being said I would buy your bike in a heart beat! Nice job. Not sure I would need all 7 interactive sheets together for my needs--a bit to much for my small brain.
I'm hoping that you did not intend to be insulting, because part of your comment does come across that way.

Personally, I think it ought to be made a sticky. I've seen similar offerings and have to say this is probably one of the better, if not the best I've come across.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's really only 5 ;)

I used to just keep a piece of paper, but it would get lost, or get illegible. Besides, sometimes a piece of paper just won't hold the info you need.

I'm happy you guys think it's useful.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
uraberg

That is excellent :welldone

We have too many stickies already but I will move this later to the Maintenance Tips and Tricks subforum.

Well done mate.

DaveM:)
Thanks Dave, I initially tried to post it there. Don't really know how it ended up here.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Uraberg, that is a brilliant piece of work. I design stuff like this for work, and I know how much time and effort has gone into it.

I use Office 2003 and it warned me that some functionality would be lost, mainly around conditional formats, but I doubt if it will affect the useability of the program.

Top man.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm hoping that you did not intend to be insulting, because part of your comment does come across that way.

Personally, I think it ought to be made a sticky. I've seen similar offerings and have to say this is probably one of the better, if not the best I've come across.
Not meant to be insulting at all. Seven generation spreadsheets aren't everyone's path to bliss. Like I said I would buy a bike that had records that accurate anytime.
Record keeping is a thing that you have to do what works for you or you won't do it. I have tools left out on my work bench. For others that is a cardinal sin in the garage. To each their own.
I am not trying to step on anyone's toes here. That logbook is a work of art. I appreciate the attention to detail and would never complete a log of that sort on my own.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'd love to see the maintenance log, but I can't unzip files at home. Tried here at work, and zip says there's some wierd offset, not letting it open.
I guess I'll have to stick with my ratty old notebook.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd love to see the maintenance log, but I can't unzip files at home. Tried here at work, and zip says there's some wierd offset, not letting it open.
I guess I'll have to stick with my ratty old notebook.
google winrar
its free if you get the free version and it works really well

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uraberg, that is a brilliant piece of work. I design stuff like this for work, and I know how much time and effort has gone into it.

I use Office 2003 and it warned me that some functionality would be lost, mainly around conditional formats, but I doubt if it will affect the useability of the program.

Top man.
I just had a look at it. If I remember correctly, the only conditional formatting used is the font color and style in the "Service due" column on the "bike summary" sheet.
It still seems to work just fine either by miles on oil, or time on oil.

bikingteacher: No worries. I am not offended.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I just had a look at it. If I remember correctly, the only conditional formatting used is the font color and style in the "Service due" column on the "bike summary" sheet.
It still seems to work just fine either by miles on oil, or time on oil.
I didn't write down the error message, but it said something about functionality with formulas (I could have invented the bit about formatting, not sure), and that 2003 only supports the first iteration of a nested function. Iterations after the first would be ignored.

I know I can nest up to 7 layers within the IF function, so maybe it's not that. I'm an Excel user, not a programmer :)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Hmmn?

I'm barely able to boot up my computer on my own and usually have to threaten it with a ball peen hammer, but I got the maint. log to open using the winrar freeware. I also use Office 2003 and did get some sort of error msg, but blew by it. I just keep going so long as I do not see smoke. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts