Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys you know that little black plastic reset knob that tells you when its time to put the go juice in the tank,with being carefull and only approaching with ungloved hands,treating it as a frail little after thought,the F#cker still disappeared,just when I hit 260ks on a tank w/out hitting reserve,there is a joker out there-he has a plan,I hope Triumph has one 2:)J.B.

·
Registered
306 Posts
temporary/permanent fix

Hello Johnny B.,

The guy that had my Bonnie before had the knob come off as well. He said that the plastic shaft broke on the inside where it comes out of the counter dial. Luckily he found it and was able to stick it back together with superglue. The bike has gone about 3000 miles with it that way and it has not come off again as yet. I would think if you could find a small piece of plastic rod you could rig up a replacement as it seems to be a straight shot into the counter dial. I was thinking of the plastic pieces that come in model car kits. This seems to be a case of poor material application. They should have used something a little more substantial.

Pops

·
Registered
413 Posts
This topic has come up before and it appears that their are several variations of knob to fit the Triumph speedometer.
So check carefully when you order one to be sure that it will actually do the job.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I pulled my instrument off w/o removing the trip knob, snapped off
inside speedo I JB welded it on, works so far. Bike Bandit sells the knob cheap.:D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Ok is there something going on here? Mine fell off 2 weeks ago and I just got the replacement last week and screwed it on.....

2007 BBlack weird heh? I went to reset it after filling up and to my dismay it was gone.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine fell off earlier this year and part of it disappeared so I couldn't just screw a new one in. My dealer warrantied it for me, but Triumph sent a whole new speedo. Kind of bummed me out. I was looking forward to watching it roll 10,000m this summer and had to go back to zero.

·
29,948 Posts
Couldn't you have just taken the knob off the new speedo and put it on the old one?

Then you could have sold the speedon on ebay and made 50 bucks or whatever.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey cuz. Sorry to hear your knob fell off! Mine did too last year. Painful. Mine snapped off right at the brass screw, so I had a terrible time trying to fix it. Finally fixed it with some small diameter plastic tubing and epoxy resin. Now it wobbles a bit off axis but still trips the dial well enough to be functional. I've read some people have had whole speedos replaced under warranty. No such offer from my dealer though. Good luck.

The next question is, if I put a harley replacement on, will I have to rejet the carbs ?
No, but you'll have to fit forward controls and dress like a gay pirate!:jimlad:

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
What trip reset knob. And.... I just go to reserve and sweat it out till the next GoJuice store pops up on the horizon.:Dance02:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Couldn't you have just taken the knob off the new speedo and put it on the old one?

Then you could have sold the speedon on ebay and made 50 bucks or whatever.
Because my dealership warantied it they kept the old one to send to Triumph. Doing it this way cost me nothing.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Falling Speedo knob epidemic

Word has it that Triumph has outsourced the speedo's to an oriental firm and that the shaft is made of a rice paste hardened with soy sauce. Replacement parts can be found mychopsticks.com and are actually made from recycled chopsticks.
Ever notice your speedo knob smells slightly of moo goo gai pan?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Godammit my knob has also dropped off. Happened at about 60 mph on the m40. I saw something fly by my head as I was riding along and at the time thought it was a stone. Filled up the tank today and went to set the trip and oh dear it wasn't there. Are these things unscrewing themselves as well as breaking? Mine appears to have fallen off due to a stiff breeze. Surely a bit of wind can't have broken it off?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts