Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
The type is not latex out well. In my opinion the type needs to be larger and there need to be wider margins. She has important things to say, and right now the type is laid out exactly like this forum. Great for Triumph RAT, but she is better that we uncivilized barbarians!

I'd also suggest she experiment with the look of other fonts. She obviously has great aesthetic taste, so her judgement will be the best. She should avoid dramatic fonts that will distract from her wonderful artwork, but a simple clean (perhaps serif font) will add class and style to the page.

Let her know that the aesthetic of the site is almost as important as her artwork. In today's world the website reflects the business, organization, or in this case artist. It is IMPORTANT.

also remind her that her prose needs to be crisp. Not one extra word or, god forbid, sentence. Ernest Hemingway ended a 10 page letter to Gertrude Stein with, "I apologize for the length of this letter, I didn't have time to write a short one."

Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks to you all for your helpful advice! I will pass it all on to she who is in charge... It's quite hard, after you've been staring at a website, looking at it in all its stages of development, to then look at it objectively! So yeah, thanks!

Now I just have to get Goldman Sachs to invest a couple billion dollars, and we'll be set!

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Nice site. Personally, I much prefer an uncluttered layout over the usual cluttered, flashing mess, and hers is good in that regard. Lack of color doesn't bother me.

I agree that the fonts could possibly be better.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Just a question for the moderators on the forum. When I put a link to my photographic website in a thread for people to look my bike pics I got asked by a moderator to remove it and got told I was advertising. Sorry if it sounds like sour grapes, but isn't this the same thing?! And yet HiDesert you're giving design advice! Seems like there's some inconsistancy going on here!
Good question; I can certainly see how you'd feel that way. I'll consult with my fellow mods.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Less is more

I'm a professional graphic designer my advise would be to loose all button graphics, make the illustrations larger and use small text for your navigation - maybe a light gray bar or something behind the text/nav. You do not want anything taking away from the work. The site will be more respected if simple then if over-done.

good example: www.tankdesign.com

21 - 26 of 26 Posts