Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new ST has impressed the hell out of me apart from a few cheap and nasty things. One is the floppy foldback mirrors. Here is my solution:

Take the mirror out and prise off the spider washer and dissasemble the lower metal part from the plastic arm. Careful not to loose the indended washer.

Take the contact pins out of the connector block and pull into spigot on the plastic arm, do not pull too far. The wires are offset length so the pins go into the spigot one after the other. If you pull too far it will be hard to feed them round the kink again.

Take an M10 die (M10x1.5 or M10x1.25). Put a chamfer on the spigot and run the die down.

Put back together with a nice wide nut and tighten down so the foldback function is nice a stiff. Use threadlocker on it. Its far easier than trying to shim up under the spider washer and pull the whole thing back together. The nut can be tightened down so the arm actually locks up if thats what you want, but I have very stiff, just enough compliance in the spring to fold back if I need.

Put the connector block back together, reassemble and waterproof connectors with grease.

Job done, nice stiff mirrors with NO flop. Small mod but becuase the stock floppy mirroe bug me so much it has me smiling even more now!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
:goodpost:

This has been suggested in the past.

Kudos to beetos for actually doing it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excellent Post, I too have one mirror that likes to "go it's own way". Thanks, Lonnie

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Bump, because I like the fix, and because we used to get a fair amount of chatter about the mirrors and questions asking how to fix them. :D

·
Banned
177 Posts
Seriously considering doing this soon, how did you separate the lower mounting bracket from the uppper arm? Did you destroy the Spider Washer / Nut thing in the process?

--MMI

·
Registered
492 Posts
i have just done this mod on my 06 and its a complete balls up the wall thickness is not enough after you use the 10mm die and the stud just snaps off when you fold the mirror back , DONT DO IT , this has now cost me a new mirror £80 ,, so what seemed like a good idea is NOT, please don't make the same mistake and try this fix it will not work on a 06 , now i don't know if its thicker stuff on the latter models , so you might want to take a chance :mad:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think OND warned about the possibilty of this failure and had me wondering.....
Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune Steve but thanks for sharing the experience.
Phil

·
Registered
492 Posts
to make matters worst the mirrors are on back order from the factory so i dont know when one will turn up :mad: i am now going to get steaming drunk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts