Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello... This is my very first Triumph and my first motorcycle build. I I have built many Classic Cars from the ground up, but have never got into motorcycles until now.. I am very glad I ran accross this forum, and hope it is great source of knowledge and insight.

I am familar with Restoration and Fabrication, but I am not familar on what is available or been done on the Triumph's.. I have my own Custom Product lines out for the Classic Cars, and they are being sold in Major Retail Catalogs. I hope to contribute to motorcycle world also, who knows.. ha ha

I have started with a 65 Triumph 650 Tiger that had gone through a earlier Chopper build (Complete with sissy bar). I am hoping to achieve a blend of Boardtracker/Bobber in a tasteful style. There will be no Chrome or Polished aluminum on this bike, all bare metal parts will be Copper Plated. The rims/hubs/spokes will be the bike color along with the frame and motor.. The primary and engine covers, along with the cylinder jug and head with be copper plated also.

I am waiting on my custom handle bars and exhaust to get here, I am having a gentleman out of California making them for me at this time.. The bars will be something similar to what is in the pics, but will not drop down as low. I am running inverted levers with an internal throttle control, so it should all look very clean.

Here are a few pics of what I started with and where I am at up to about 2 weeks ago.. I have alot of time on the interner rounding up parts and was lucky to come up with the front forks I did... I love the style of this front end and think it makes the bike.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Welcome! What an amazing transformation! I love the front end and the boardtrack racer look.
Will you be keeping the pipes aimed at the ground? Bet those suckers are LOUD!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it looks alot better also.. I cant believe someone would actually spend the money took to do the earlier build..

I am not going to run the pipes in the pics, I cut them to make sit on the jack better..lol I am running a nicely swept 2 into 1 pipe, and will be copper coated also, maybe even wrapped for parts of it...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You know, while the copper plating will certainly add a unique look I could easily see this in a not-much-more refined state as a bit of a rad rod.

May not be much of a tourer, but would look pretty cool and be fun on short runs!

But to each his own - a lot of people equate rat rod with old junker...:(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, while the copper plating will certainly add a unique look I could easily see this in a not-much-more refined state as a bit of a rad rod.

May not be much of a tourer, but would look pretty cool and be fun on short runs!

But to each his own - a lot of people equate rat rod with old junker...:(
Rat Rods are pieced together junk that are not refined or finished out with quality paint or parts.. Right now, it looks like a rat rod...ha ha But, I have alot of high quality painting and plating to do yet, along with high quality and stylish parts..

Hopefully it doesnt look Rat Roddish when it is completed, or I have completely and miserably missed my mark... As for comfort, you are right, it will not be a 100 mile cruiser, and is not being built for that. I am hoping the Leaf-Spring seat will help out with that, I am having them tooled up to be made for other builds I am planning on doing. I am also raising the bars a bit, and beieve it or not, you can sit up or lean over when you are on the bike. The seat level is low enough, that you are actually not hunched over the tank to reach the bars. You can sit up normally or lay over the tank knee's to elbow's...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I wanna ride it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
looks awesome already. are you considering having ape hangers on it or another kind of elevated handle bar or you keeping it about the same height as it is in the picture? hows the engine running? and are you selling this or are you going to keep it for your own pleasure

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks awesome already. are you considering having ape hangers on it or another kind of elevated handle bar or you keeping it about the same height as it is in the picture? hows the engine running? and are you selling this or are you going to keep it for your own pleasure
I am going to run a low Boardtracker bar, just not quite as low as these.. They will be about half the drop of the bars in the pictures..

I am building this bike to keep and market the Leafspring Solo Seat Mount.. But, it will probably be for sale before too long. You cant keep them all, but I do plan on enjoying it awhile.. I have other projects I have to get done on my Automotive products side, so I will more than likely need the space.. The engine runs great, and I have the reciepts from the rebuild when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the MGA in the background a drophead?
It is a 59 Coupe Project I have going... It was a rolling hull and I havent done any research as to engine type.. I am make a pro-touring project out it, and will be retro-fitted with a SR20-DET Nissan Turbo engine (Fuel injected) 6-speed standard trans, Air Conditioning, and alot of other upgrades to make it a modern driver. Everything will appear factory, but will be up to modern standards.. I am even going to still run the factory steel wheels and caps.. It will be between 275-300 dependable horsepower..

I am also working on a 66 Volvo P1800 that will be recieving a Complete 2004 Corvette Rolling Chassis under it.. I will be doing my Flush Mount Glass Kits for it, and it will be a heavily modified Asto Martin looking car... Tastefully done of course..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking forward to having you produce the leaf spring .I'll be the first to order one. My buds want to see how it turns out.Let me know when it becomes available.
Thanks PT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts