Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm about to get a bike after a few years off (actually I had a very pretty 77 Bonny for a bit, but now going modern).

I've narrowed my choices down to a Sprint, Ducati ST3 or VFR, and from what I've read the Sprint is the best choice (sure I'll get no argument on this board :p). My use is for fun in the twisties and touring, plus commuting to work in the summer.

1050's are a still a fair bit more than I want to spend, so I'm looking at a late 955.

The first question is: are the two models comparable as machines to ride / live with, or is there a world of difference? Am I better saving and going for the 1050?

Second question is, assuming 955 isn't a no-go, are there any significant things to look out for specific to the Sprint? I've done my own spannering on bikes for years, so know all the obvious stuff, but are there any known weaknesses or big expense at certain miles (eg. cam belts, heads, valves etc)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brittager

The main thing to watch out for is (if you get one) that you don't talk Triumph gibberish and the other is the stupid grin that you will always have on your face.:D

Seriously, the Gen 2 (02-04) 955i is the pick of the bunch motor/hp wise in the earlier models. The Gen 1 99-01 are still a good mill but the later years are that much quieter and have a few extra ponies thrown in for good luck.

The ST is more common and (if you don't know) there is a half faired RS model that has the same motor. If you don't want the fairing the Speed Triple is a great hooligan machine with some more ponies to boot.

The 955i is really a fairly bulletproof motor but they do need regular oil changes to operate smoothly. The gear changes get clunky and it just doesn't run as sweet IMO.

I have an 03 RS and it runs like a top. Never had to put a spanner to it and they have a great capability (greater than I do) and they are the perfect bike in the real world. Excellent for the twisties, two up and for touring. Again just my opinion.

I have a Triumph TOR exhaust (Carbon) and it makes it purr plus adds another few HP!!

No problem areas in particular especially if they are maintained. The 20,000 K services are expensive to check valves but otherwise have no major inherent problems. As I said, just the stupid smile and talking Triumph gibberish! :)

The 1050's are a very good mill but as you say you will pay more $ for one.

Introduce yourself and tell us where you are. There are probably some locals on the forum to point you in the right direction in your area..

Good luck on your choice. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Steven.

I actually live in orginal Brit bike country - West Midlands, UK. (So it had to be a Triumph really ;))

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello from 'sunny' ;) Halifax! Welcome to the site, you'll find loads of good information and advice here as I have since I bought the 1050ST. Sorry I can't advise you on the earlier models but there will plenty coming along who will be able to help. The search function is pretty good too should you need it anytime.

Hope you enjoy the site :) and the bike :D. It'll have to be a Triumph of some sort, surely? ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Definitely the site to hang if you get a Triumph, the knowledge between these guys and gals is second to none and you will find that whatever you want to know or do someone here have done it or can give advice, there's even the odd one or two that rebuilds anything. In short, a great bunch of people.
Oh, and welcome in. :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hello Brit,

Hard to go wrong with either of your three choices there. Obviously we all love our STs here. I have an `01 and can without a reservation say it it the best bike I have ever owned. Not the fastest, not most adjustable not the most torque and not the most nimble, but in the motorcycle world it is all about balance. The perfect bike myth is still alive and as far as I can tell as yet unachieved. However there are several bikes that have a wonderful collection of power, stability, comfort etc that you can do very well on either the track or an iron butt ride (the latter I don't favor myself but several here have done on their STs).

The ST leans more on the sport side of Sport Touring, but does everything very well and will serve you in pretty much any aspect of riding.

Steven is right on with his assessment of the 955i, but if one can't be had you will not be disappointed with a well cared for `00 or `01. I have a PDF file that Megariders in NZ put together that has a very comprehensive list of check points for new bike buyers that I would be happy to send you if it is of interest.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The '00 Sprint RS in the 'Look-The-Eff-Out-Yellow' color scheme is the best bike ever made. Other Triumphs are still good. I've ridden 1050 Tigers, Sprints, and Speed Triples and still prefer my old 955. Maybe I'm biased though...

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the clan Brittager:)

I won't dribble on about Sprint's too much, other than to say they are brilliant all rounders and they handle very well once set up to suit the rider and the engines are just a Gem.

The 1050 is a stroked 955 engine with a new ECU, the 955's had a Sagem unit and the newer 1050's have a Keihin ECU which has more variability to it than the Sagem. The Keihin unit is smoother in it's power delivery although the 955 Sagem equiped machines are all ready more smooth in power delivery than most other bikes around anyway.

Oops did I say all that?:p

Well I love my '04 955 Sprint, I can't help it.

When you get a chance please read our forum stickies as Don & I ask all noobs to this forum to do so.

Enjoy..................:)

DaveM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your replies & advice so far.

I've been sitting on the fence a bit, and also waiting for the right bike to come along at the right price.

I've seen a 2000 model 955 come up for reasonable money, with Triumph luggage etc, but the mileage is almost 40,000. Should I be getting concerned at this sort of mileage? Obviously depends on how the bike's been looked after, and I would do all usual checks etc, but something in the back of mind says 40k is a lot on any bike, especially a non-Jap one :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a PDF file that Megariders in NZ put together that has a very comprehensive list of check points for new bike buyers that I would be happy to send you if it is of interest.
Yes please MVP44, that would be v.useful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts