Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pulled into the local coffee shop and was about to set my bike down on the kickstand...oh fudge, where'd that kickstand go? down she goes....BUT, i laid her down nice and ez. got away with very minimal scratching to the alternator cover, a slightly scratched clutch lever tip, slightly scratched gear shifter lever, and a slightly scratched left footpeg. everything else is perfectly fine.

man that was dumb. first time ever to have that happen...and i've been riding motorcycles for eight freaking years. today was not my day. bad day at work and coming down with a cold. probably should not have been riding in the first place.

ah well, i got away pretty lucky i'd say. i'm gonna go find some paint to touch up the scratches this weekend.

how much is a new alternator cover anyway? $150?

·
Registered
828 Posts
no it shouldnt cost more than 70-90 i would think. my pal just replaces a scrached 675 alt cover. i want to say it was like 40 bucks... my 955 04 daytona was 50 if i remember...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Nikko pen.Did something similar to mine first day home,right hand side though,gives you the s*#ts though don't it. :hammer:

·
Registered
583 Posts
this guy i know,, 3 days after he bought a speedy, dropped it when he made a turn and someone was coming the wrong way down tthe street and he braked to hard with the wheel turned, anyway,, this dude got lucky cause he got a warranty engine replacement so that scratch dissapeared.

[ This message was edited by: jrussell6 on 2006-12-14 23:11 ]

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Yeah, and this guy I know, he did the same thing Tekmoe did, two days after buying his speedy. BTW, he is a really cool, smart, and ..., uh, did I mention cool?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Was this before or after only
two to three beers and a totally rad power slide?

:)

Next time, just take it off a rad jump. :-D

[ This message was edited by: MrZed on 2006-12-14 23:54 ]

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-12-15 03:25, StuckInKansas wrote:
I priced one a while back and it only like 35 bucks, not bad. :upthumb:
nice! i will stop by my local dealer on the way home after work and see what he can do for me!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey asshol....oops i mean, mrzed. take a hike man. your really ruining the vibe here. get lost.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Easy big fellow. That IS the vibe here!!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've done the same thing on my nighthawk. It was very uncomfortable doing more than 150 miles. Ended up doing a 350 mile day and when I pulled into a gas station I was completely out of it and just laid the bike on its side without the kickstard. Only thing that happened was that I broke the clutch lever and just had to readjust the mirror. It sucked only being able to use one finger to shift on the way home though.

·
Registered
337 Posts
On 2006-12-14 21:37, tekmoe wrote:
pulled into the local coffee shop and was about to set my bike down on the kickstand...oh fudge, where'd that kickstand go? down she goes....BUT, i laid her down nice and ez. got away with very minimal scratching to the alternator cover, a slightly scratched clutch lever tip, slightly scratched gear shifter lever, and a slightly scratched left footpeg. everything else is perfectly fine.

man that was dumb. first time ever to have that happen...and i've been riding motorcycles for eight freaking years. today was not my day. bad day at work and coming down with a cold. probably should not have been riding in the first place.

ah well, i got away pretty lucky i'd say. i'm gonna go find some paint to touch up the scratches this weekend.

thank God I've never done that shi* before! welcome to the club Its called *****8&&^%^%^^&its goin over**&*&^^%^* lay it down easyyyyyyy*****^%$#@@#$$ah that wasn't so bad club! Sean...

·
Registered
178 Posts
*****8&&^%^%^^&its goin over**&*&^^%^* lay it down easyyyyyyy*****^%$#@@#$$ah that wasn't so bad club
Putting this club name on a hat or Tshirt may prove challenging :-D

XXXL shirts only ... for the hats I dont know...

I purchased my bike with left side scratches on the covers, swirly like scratches due to a in the driveway drop by the previous owner. Still havent bought new covers. But at $50 or so that must be one of the cheaper Triumph parts I have seen!! :razz:

[ This message was edited by: Prestimp on 2006-12-15 11:59 ]

·
Registered
431 Posts
I didn't want to admit it,but I did the same thing. Set it down easy and only scratched the alternator cover. I threw my body under the rest of the touching parts. Been riding 24 years and have never done anything so retarded. For me, the kickstand went down, but not all the way, so it folded back up when I let the weight go. Your sharing made me feel comfortable exposing my own dirtly little secret.

ah, I feel much better now. Just $40 away from being able to forget it ever happened. :)

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
well dwarf, atleast you have a good excuse fer drop'n her, I mean with those short legs and all, how do you do it being a dwarf? :wink: :-D Orrrrrrrrrr..... is that just the name you could type with one hand while holding a beer in the other? :wink: :-D

·
Registered
178 Posts
On 2006-12-15 12:12, cheapbastard wrote:
well dwarf, atleast you have a good excuse fer drop'n her, I mean with those short legs and all, how do you do it being a dwarf? :wink: :-D Orrrrrrrrrr..... is that just the name you could type with one hand while holding a beer in the other? :wink: :-D
:-D :-D :razz: :-D :-D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On 2006-12-15 12:07, DwarF wrote:
I didn't want to admit it,but I did the same thing. Set it down easy and only scratched the alternator cover. I threw my body under the rest of the touching parts. Been riding 24 years and have never done anything so retarded. For me, the kickstand went down, but not all the way, so it folded back up when I let the weight go. Your sharing made me feel comfortable exposing my own dirtly little secret.

ah, I feel much better now. Just $40 away from being able to forget it ever happened. :)
lol! i feel your pain brother! 18 hours into it and i'm not feeling nearly as bad as i did right after it happened. hehe. thanks for the guilty yet honest words. makes me feel better about the whole incident.

:upthumb:

·
Registered
157 Posts
On 2006-12-14 21:37, tekmoe wrote:

***** Tek that sucks. I have to replace mine eventually. Eurocycle quoted me about $130 and $11 for the gasket, and a dealership out in Dallas quoted me like $125 and $11 for the gasket.

The guy at Eurocycle told me to check the alternator with a voltmeter to make sure it was not damaged, other than that he recommended just sanding and repainting.

Good luck man

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You're not the only one.

I was taking my bike off the lift the other day and as it was rolling backwards down the ramp from the left side it started tiiiipppping NONONONONOOOOO, let out the clutch! NOT IN 1ST!?!?! SHHIIIIIIIII and its down. The entire time I was trying my hardest to hold it up by the left grip and my fuel tank but it was already leaning too far and I couldn't get enough leverage with it already almost a foot off the ground.

Long story short, all that happened was I got a few minor scratches in my Rizoma bar-end, the screw that holds the bar-end on got bent, which saved the mirror, a minor ding in the bellypan, and a few other minor scratches here and there. I was amazed for how far it fell. It was literally horizontal with the wheels up on the lift and the sliders and handlebar touching the floor. The second time I hefted it back up and rolled it down safely from the right side using the front brake and the kickstand out.

Lesson learned?

-Always roll the bike off the lift with either a partner or with the kickstand down from the right-hand side and ride the brake, not the clutch.

Glad I learned that before I buy my next bike which will definitely be some exotic like the 1098 if the new Big Daytona isn't out by then or is sub-par.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
On 2006-12-14 23:53, MrZed wrote:
Next time, just take it off a rad jump. :-D
I've done this before. Its a WHOOOOLE LOTTA FUN!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts