Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys It happened the other night. I was coming back home from the store on the main road (two way highway).
About 300 feet on my left i saw this guy coming on a side road. I moved over to the right side of the lane to give me more of a buffer zone i made sure i was covering the brakes. He was slowing to come to a stop, at the stop sign, which he did.
I was 40 to 50 feet from the junction doing about 40mph when he decided to shoot out right in front of me! At the time, all i was thinking is, don't hit that flippin truck!! I swerved to the right as much as i could while trying to anchor up as fast as possible.
I just missed him then the front tire lost grip. The bike went down onto the left i hit my left shoulder first then my head (shoei i love you) then my hip. I slid for a while as did my new Thruxton. Thank god i had good gear on, a Cortech jacket complete with a loaf of Sourdough bread from the local store, two pairs of pants and Alpine star boots short one's.
When i stopped i was able to roll myself into a ditch, to get out of the road. Thankfully the kid driving the truck/suv stopped, as did many others.
He was very freaked out more than i was actually.
Now i have a seperated shoulder and a sad looking bike. Also thinking about how am i going to work?
I am writing to tell you about this guys because i am a very cautious rider and treat drivers like they don't ever see me. But this guy nearly got me he came out so fast at the last second.
Hope you all take care, ride safe.
I would post pics of bike and scene but i am not sure how to do that?
All the best John

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad you aren't injured more than what you stated. Will the dirver help with the costs?
Thanks for posting. We can all use a little dose of reality now and again to keep our senses sharp.
Mend fast.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad you aren't injured more than what you stated. Will the dirver help with the costs?
Thanks for posting. We can all use a little dose of reality now and again to keep our senses sharp.
Mend fast.
Hi MAR
Thanks for the reply.
As far as costs, that is a good question.
I work with my hands Self Employed(Antique restoration) So of course i can't work.
I'm not into really going after the kid personally, but he doe's have insurance for this as far as i know. The CHP took statemnets from me and him, DUI check etc. The officer said to my Girlfriend that it was a cut and dry case it was the kids fault and that i did everything possible to avoid hitting him. Also i have a witness that gave me his buissness card. He was the guy behind the kid at the stop sign..
I have never been involved in anything like this before and would appreciate any advice on what to do.
All the best John.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yah, they will look you right in the eye and never see you. Maybe I should say perceive you. Very fortunate you anticipated this potential. Imagine if you'd been running full on, oblivious to his mistake.

My last one was a total, and while I considered what bike to replace my Thruxton I decided I wanted to keep my bike. I'm always looking at different models and lusting, but its sure a fun bike. Hope your good to go soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash ... just curious ... did you have any reflective material on your jacket since you were riding at night ? Just wondering what else we all could do to avoid such misfortunate accidents ... hope you are coming along well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hate to say it but the best advice is to go to a lawyer. If you are out work, you are out money and the insurance companies are in business to make money, not give it out. In the end the lawyer will reduce your stress level as well.

I was hit head on last year while driving a car that was a week off the lot. I missed work and my new car wasn't fixed for months because I didn't want to deal with a lawyer even thought the other guy was 100% at fault. Big mistake on my part. A similar thing happened to my wife years ago and she got a lawyer and got to sleep nights and the car was fixed immediately and her medical bills were paid as they arrived.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Definitely consult a lawyer. You don't have to sue the kid for everything he and his insurance company got, but you should certainly make sure you get money to cover your pain & suffering, lost wages etc.

Glad you're mostly ok. Sucks about the bike.

Get well soon

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear about your crash ... just curious ... did you have any reflective material on your jacket since you were riding at night ? Just wondering what else we all could do to avoid such misfortunate accidents ... hope you are coming along well.
Hi dhisharp
Yes that night i wore a cortech jacket it has reflective white strips sew on it.
To be honest, i think what saved me is that i was not going to fast. As well as keeping a good buffer zone between me and potential hazards.
I am always moving in the lane to what ever side gives me the most room for escape. But when it happens it's fast literally a split second.
I do take the time to practice emergency stops, it helped.
I went to the scene yesterday to take pictures, what i was surprised at was that the front wheel locked and skidded approximatly15 to 20 feet before it washed out.
I guess i must have stayed upright longer than i thought.
All the best John.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys
I have made an appointment with a lawyer to make sure i do the right thing.
Thanks for all the input it really helps get an idea of how to proceed.
All the best John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.That eats.I had a close one last week when a women in a small SUV who was stopped on a side street took off when I was maybe thirty feet from her.I was doing around thirty mph.When she realized that she had pulled out in front of me she suddenly stopped right in front of me.I grabbed and stabbed the brakes hard without even thinking,it happened so fast.I know the rear locked and I think front did too.I heard a bit of squealing and the forks dove pretty hard.Surprised myself that I had braked so hard.I stopped right at her door,looking her in the face.She said she was sorry and looked it too.I said something back,you can guess what it was.That was the first time I've had something like that happen in years.It used to happen fairly often and I'd forgotten that feeling. It sucks.I was lucky and nothing happened to me or the bike.You must really be bummed.Like they always say though,it could have been worse.Good thing you were anticipating something stupid and had the brake covered or it probably would have been.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.That eats.I had a close one last week when a women in a small SUV who was stopped on a side street took off when I was maybe thirty feet from her.I was doing around thirty mph.When she realized that she had pulled out in front of me she suddenly stopped right in front of me.I grabbed and stabbed the brakes hard without even thinking,it happened so fast.I know the rear locked and I think front did too.I heard a bit of squealing and the forks dove pretty hard.Surprised myself that I had braked so hard.I stopped right at her door,looking her in the face.She said she was sorry and looked it too.I said something back,you can guess what it was.That was the first time I've had something like that happen in years.It used to happen fairly often and I'd forgotten that feeling. It sucks.I was lucky and nothing happened to me or the bike.You must really be bummed.Like they always say though,it could have been worse.Good thing you were anticipating something stupid and had the brake covered or it probably would have been.
Hi Rennfield
It sounds much the same senario as mine. I have read a few books lately about Motorcycle riding. They all say much the same thing. Left turners are one of the most common accidents. I have even had a Sheriff nearly do it to me about a month ago. Motorists are usually looking for other cars and trucks etc; but not really paying attention to bikes.
It's as though they see you, but it gets filed as spam in their heads thus gets ignored.
Glad to hear you did not go down or hit that woman.
I guess she learned a few new words that day!
All the best John.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Sorry to hear of your crash. Sounds like a series of unfortunate events converged to nail you and your bike. Better luck in the future.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey John
Sorry to hear about the crash - bad news!:mad:

Glad to hear you're OK - let us know how things go & get well soon!:)
Cheers
Steve
Thanks for your post Steve.
I tried working a bit today but it is very difficult. It's surprising how much you need your left shoulder with what i do.
I am seeing the orthopedic guy tommorow then the Attorney.
He told me not to talk to the guy's insurance company.
Hopefully we can get this resolved asap. I miss my bike.
I park it by the workshop so i can look at it all day if i want. Also i turn it on and leave it ticking over it's good for the bike and a good replacement for the rubbish on the Radio. Music to the ears!
I must admit having this small spill has got me a little unnerved about getting back on again. I love riding so much, it is my escape from the everyday. But it still has me a little worried.
I guess i'm getting old.
All the best John
Ps
maybe when i get the bike fixed i can talk them into putting predators on instead of the stock?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well I'm glad to hear you're on the mend!
Was there a lot of damage to your bike? At least it still starts!
I thought FL was the place for stupid drivers! I'm thinking of getting a rear facing camera on my helmet!:D
All the best
Steve

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Triton
It looks like the damage is minimal.
Exhaust scrapped, shifter broken off,engine casing badly scraped,handle bar end worn down and clutch lever,wing mirror busted clean off and indicator broken. That is what i noticed at first, but when i sit on the bike the speedo and rev counter are all out of whack and no longer in line with the headlight. The front mudgaurd is slightly out of line with the front tire.From the front it looks like the front left side of the bike is lower? I guess this means the forks maybe bent?
I was talking to a friend today and he said i should make sure whoever repairs the bike they should check the frame alignment.
I would guess that is standard practice, but i am not sure.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
All the best John

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi Triton
It looks like the damage is minimal.
Exhaust scrapped, shifter broken off,engine casing badly scraped,handle bar end worn down and clutch lever,wing mirror busted clean off and indicator broken. That is what i noticed at first, but when i sit on the bike the speedo and rev counter are all out of whack and no longer in line with the headlight. The front mudgaurd is slightly out of line with the front tire.From the front it looks like the front left side of the bike is lower? I guess this means the forks maybe bent?
I was talking to a friend today and he said i should make sure whoever repairs the bike they should check the frame alignment.
I would guess that is standard practice, but i am not sure.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
All the best John
Hi John
Definitely have the frame & forks checked for alignment although I'm sure after a crash that's the first thing they'll do anyway
BTW I sent you a PM
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
This is a scenario we all face day in day out.

Can I make a suggestion?

Eyeball the driver. Turn your head as you approach. Look at them in the eye, keep focused.

Human intuition dictates that they will be aware of someone looking at them.

It is a bit uncomfortable at first. But keep looking at them as you slow down, anticipating that they are going to do something stupid.

Keep looking. Then they see you. You acknowledge and drive by, then wave saying to yourself and them indirectly.....cheers mate, you did not slice me up and the reason is because you saw me, have a good day and thanks for pausing and thinking because we have both avoided an accident.

You drive by, they lose 10 seconds, all is well.

It works most of the time and given Wroding's driving style, which is similar to mine, should help with accident avoidance.

It took me a while, but being a cyclist too, I have no problem staring at drivers, whether it be junctions, roundabouts, traffic lights or any point of possible conflict.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts