Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

My Father's Bike - '66 Trophy

418 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mikerunsjax 
#1 ·
My father has owned his maroon 1966 Triumph Trophy since I can remember. He has fractured vertebrae and hasn't been able to ride for years. We have stored it for him in our garage and fire it up on occasion. Fresh plugs and gas yesterday, popped right off for a quick lap through our area.

He has decided it's time to part with his bike... 'aging ain't for wussies' as he says. He has so many memories with his travels on this old bike and I know this has been a tough decision for him. He has asked me to help him sell it as he does not drive anymore or use any computer technology. I have tried to research, but am not having any luck finding value or a venue to list it (we live in Wisconsin). It seems like the Trophy isn't as common as other models around that time frame. I do not want him to be taken advantage of because of my lack of knowledge. It's had some work done on it in recent years (new wiring, tires, tune up), but is not a restored show bike by any means (taped area on seat, missing tank emblems/knee pads, basically looks like it's been loved and ridden through the years). It has about 11,700 miles and clear title. I just want to do right by him, so if anyone has an insight, advice, or can point me the right direction, I would be truly grateful!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

The Classic, Vintage, and Veteran forum is where you can connect with classic Triumph riders and rebuilders. The folks there will have the knowledge and experience you seek. Introduce yourself there, post photos of your father's classic Trophy, and engage the members.

http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/

There is much to our forum, so please make yourself at home, browse the forums, and join the conversation where ever it may interest you. We are happy to have you here.

Cheers!

#3 ·
I’m sure this was a tough decision for your dad.
Rather than look for bikes that people are selling, I like to look at what they actually sold for. People tend to ask a lot more then they can get for their bikes, especially older bikes.
Here’s a link to a 66 that sold recently on EBay. You’ll know if yours is in better or worse shape, so it should give you an idea.
Good luck, I hope t goes to somebody that will bring it back to its original condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Triumph-Trophy/192921601917?hash=item2ceb06077d:g:z5oAAOSwFIBc4WOA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.