Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I used sheet metal, folded it a few times then bent the end in for the turn signals. Used the stock metal bracket that bolts to the frame and just attached the sheet metal to that. The license plate lights are actually the bolts themselves that hold the plate on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I really like it..

What would make it perfect for me:

1- have the bracket on an angle
2- have it painted black like mentionned above
3- Add a second, shorter row of Brake LED on the of the one you have
4- Cut the corners of the bracket on an angle or round, so you dont hurt yourself on it and looks more like a finished product...

But like I said, really like it.

Keep up the good work !

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
+1 all that was said above. It might also help the look to cut the sides so that all that's left is a tab where the signals mount. But definitely paint or powdercoat it black quickly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the kudos guys, but most importantly, your input on design change. This was my prototype, so to speak. Very "rough" around the edges. Wanted to get one put on the bike and then sit back and see how it really looks. Things never really turn out how you first envision them.

I like that.. what lights are on there.. Also you might want to take it apart and paint it black just so it will not rust.
Definitely will paint the final product. This is just a mock-up to see how it will look and sit on the bike. Final draft will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

This is the light bar I used for the brake light. http://www.customdynamics.com/Light_bars.htm The license plate bolts/lights came from the same site.

I ordered the turn signals off of fleabay.

The only modifying I had to do to the actual bike was drill the holes of that metal bracket, the holes with the threading, and then bend the bracket straight where those same tabs are placed.

I will post up some pics when I take it apart next, and show everything that I did.

As far as making them for people, I don't know about right now. Let me get the final product out, and then we'll see.

Thanks again everyone.

D

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Nice work, Drastion. The other posters' suggestions were good also.

Hope you take these suggestions in the spirit they are offered.

First, I suggest that you consider making the final product out of Aluminum sheet. For an application such as this, .090" material would be appropriate. 6061 is preferable but 5052 would be suitable also.

For the turn signal mounting, Al angle clips riveted to the backer plate will be more rigid than bent tabs.

Most brands of LEDs are directional. That is why the tail light is angled on the stock installation. If you sit in a car/truck two car lengths behind your bike, with someone sitting on the bike, I think you will see that their max intensity is aimed lower than optimal. You want the max intensity aimed higher than what is provided by a 90 degree mount.

You also need some sort of reflector. I have found that the red DOT reflector tape works excellently for that and it is easily cut to any shape.

I know that there are a lot of bikes running that same light bar. But you can never have too much brake light. You might consider supplementing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts