Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went buh-bye about an hour ago while i was on a busy highway!!! not fun.

any good online source for a new clutch cable (05) ? yes, i did a search and i can't seemed to find any recommendations.

if i go through a dealer, how much should i expect to pay?

thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 That is who I ordered through. I cannot recall the cost.

I would try a dealer first because they may have one sitting around. Expect to wait if not in stock.

I always have an extra cable just in case.
i will check with my dealer tomorrow... if not, how much of a turnaround time if i ordered it through bikebandit?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Triumph parts arrive usually in about 10 days to 2 weeks from the time I order from bikebandit.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
My clutch cable broke on July 3rd 2001 at 1500 miles. I was all packed for the weekend. Didn't get a new cable for almost 2 weeks. I was pissed. Now I carry an extra when I go on any 2+ day trips. Definitely get 2.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Triumph parts take a LONG time to come. At least one week and usually more. Definitely take the others advice and order two. I keep one on my bike all the time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Do these really break so often? Or is it just the matter of chance?
I've got 11k on my Speedy and started wondering if I don't push my luck... Is it about time to keep replacement handy?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got 11k on my Speedy and started wondering if I don't push my luck... Is it about time to keep replacement handy?
FYI mine went at just over 16K, so you may be okay for now. but let me tell you, trying to get home in first gear (some on a busy highway) sucked!!!

yes, i will be ordering 2.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wouldn't think so. My bike was 6 years old and over 70000 miles whenI replaced my clutch cable due to it being stretched beyond adjustability. I'd never heared of the breaking being an issue, but thats not terribly suprising.

I ordered it from dealer for $28 and got it in 6 days for my 2000.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The cables on the '01 were a bad design, and subjected to a recall. So I'd say it's not a common issue on the newer ones. I'll still carry a spare though...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I suspect the reason for relatively short life of the clutch cable on some 1050 S3's is possibly due to the misalignment of the lower cable bracket relative to the lever from the clucth housing.

This causes the clutch cable to rub on the inside of the lower cable adjuster (where the cable exits).

In order to correct this, the mounting bracket needs to be bent in order to improve the alignment of the cable such that it doesn't rub.

I'm guessing that this is a tolerance issue on the lower mounting bracket which is why clucth cable life varies from bike to bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts