Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my new Pirelli Sport Demons put on my new to me 2010 Thruxton with stock suspension. 150/70 17 110/80 18

Took them out for a 50 kilometer spin and more than a few laps in an empty parking lot.

I'm trying to figure out this bike. Because of the 'chicken strips' still visible I'm guessing I can lean this bike over more than I am.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
With those tires you can ride to the edge. You may touchdown something else first, pegs or sidestand have been my ultimate indicators.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
With those tires you can ride to the edge. You may touchdown something else first, pegs or sidestand have been my ultimate indicators.
Depends a bit on riding style too somehow. Mine aren't ever scuffed to the last 1/2" - 1/4". My style isn't "hanging off" though, more Hailwood.

If the OP is self-conscious, he should sand the edges or drive through deep gravel. :D

Reactions: Hedgepig

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did rub my foot a couple of times in the parking lot figure eights but I think I was getting a little lazy with my foot position.

I've only ridden dirt bikes and dual sports with knobbies so a street bike with street tires is a brand new thing for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends a bit on riding style too somehow. Mine aren't ever scuffed to the last 1/2" - 1/4". My style isn't "hanging off" though, more Hailwood.

If the OP is self-conscious, he should sand the edges or drive through deep gravel. :D
I'm anything but self-conscious and wear my un-scrubbed rubber strip as a testament to my good judgement :wink2:

This youtube guy has an interesting perspective on sanding off the strips. His point is when you find yourself needing to lean it over farther than you ever have before to make a corner you should not be accessing un-scubbed rubber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qPHOQ7elPo

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wear all the strips off bar the very outside ones. Only able to remove a few of them. I scrape the pegs every now and then but would not consider my riding aggressive. :nerd:

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,830 Posts

A belt sander is your friend , with either wheel up in the air apply said sander at a slight angle and its action will give a uniform freshly scrubbed look for those who don't want to lean any further . Just for interest my Conti Road Attack 2 radials are scrubbed all the way no belt sander required .

·
Registered
6,139 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just had my new Pirelli Sport Demons put on my new to me 2010 Thruxton with stock suspension. 150/70 17 110/80 18

Took them out for a 50 kilometer spin and more than a few laps in an empty parking lot.

I'm trying to figure out this bike. Because of the 'chicken strips' still visible I'm guessing I can lean this bike over more than I am.
It's the 150 rear tire you've got spooned on there. I have stock tires on my T100 and a 150 on the rear of the Thruxton. The chicken strips are narrow on the T100, wide on the Thruxton and I ride the Thruxton more aggressively. It's an overly wide tire on a narrow rim, I don't think you'll ever safely get rid of the chicken strips with that tire/rim combo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the 150 rear tire you've got spooned on there. I have stock tires on my T100 and a 150 on the rear of the Thruxton. The chicken strips are narrow on the T100, wide on the Thruxton and I ride the Thruxton more aggressively. It's an overly wide tire on a narrow rim, I don't think you'll ever safely get rid of the chicken strips with that tire/rim combo.
Excellent information Motley!

I thought that 150 rear tire would matter and hoped somebody with experience with it would post.

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,982 Posts
Maybe you should just ignore looking at the sides of the tires and only how they look at the bottom where they meet the road.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Here is my take on the tire wear pattern versus body position question.

First a caveat or two. There may be some differences between your '10 EFI Thrux and my '06 carbed Thrux. Second, I am embarrassingly slow so your abilities are probably superior to mine.

But, I find these bikes to be limited on ground clearance. Mine tends to drag things starting with a toe, progressing to a peg, and finally to hard parts.

I spend most of my attention trying to improve my body position (hanging off) so that I can get the bike a little more up right and up off the parts that drag. I get confirmation from the better riders that doing that will get the tire contact point up a little farther toward the center and away from the edge so that the tire will perform better.

As my turn rate has improved I have had to continually try to get the CG farther to the inside with body position. First by getting my shoulders farther over, then down more, and finally working on my inside elbow to get it lower. Turn rate will force that because as you continue to lean you will drag stuff eventually and will have no were else to go.

Something that you can do if you want to see just what you are doing is to try to remove your left hand from the grip and make the bike turn with out using the bars (something to try in a safe place). That is something that I always do as I signal that I am pitting. I already have my left hand up so steering with my shoulders quickly gives me an indication of how much I can do with my weight. It also helps you learn to relax your grip on the bars so the front end can do it's job with out interference from the rider, something I continue to try to improve on with limited success.

Body position first and don't spend too much time worrying about the chicken strips.

My $.02 worth, Art.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts