Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chain on my 05' Bonnie is DISGUSTING. It seemd the dealer was able to clean it pretty good a while back when I took it in for service, but I can't seem to get it REALLY clean like some I've seen.....What's the trick? I bought one of those three-sided chain scrub brushes and went to work on it with the lncluded oil they provided, and it cleaned it up a bit, but it still doesn't *shine*....Tricks? Tips? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I use WD40 to clean the chain and sprocket - spritz it up good and wipe off with a rag. Comes out pretty clean.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I use a PJ chain cleaner, but it ain't cheap. I also bought a gallon of Kerosene and it does the job pretty good.

As a side I come across this to oil the chain. No messy stuff and some people swears by it. My Tiger has a short chain-guard so was flicking over all the gunky stuff. I hope this will resolved. Available for less that $5 on most Lowe's (i had to visit 3 before I found them). http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101&lpage=none&cm_mmc=search_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-DuPont%20Teflon%20Dry%20Film%20Lubricant

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I use WD40 to clean the chain and sprocket - spritz it up good and wipe off with a rag. Comes out pretty clean.

+ 1 on the WD40.

You may want to check chain and sprockets for excessive wear. It can happen quickly to a chain that is not kept clean.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I use a PJ chain cleaner, but it ain't cheap. I also bought a gallon of Kerosene and it does the job pretty good.

As a side I come across this to oil the chain. No messy stuff and some people swears by it. My Tiger has a short chain-guard so was flicking over all the gunky stuff. I hope this will resolved. Available for less that $5 on most Lowe's (i had to visit 3 before I found them). http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101&lpage=none&cm_mmc=search_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-DuPont%20Teflon%20Dry%20Film%20Lubricant
I read a review on that stuff [maybe cycle world?]. Said it's pretty good - little fling off but good lubricating properties.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Info

Inquiring minds want to know:
what is the mileage on that chain?
Have you measured it up yet to see how much stretch is on it?
Could it be that it's just an ancient chain, left to a previous owner and neglected and thus has rusted or discolored.
If in fact your dealer has tried to clean it, have they measured up to see if it's needing a change? If you still have your work/service order it might clear some of that up.
If it's that much of an issue in any event, get another chain!! Some of those new colored ones are interesting.

·
30,525 Posts
Yep, home depot, menards whatever hardware stores you have should sell it in gallon containers, sometimes 5 gallon containers. A gallon should do you for a while.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Same thing, light dose of WD40 with a brush/rag, and a shot of chain lube.

You can also buy WD40 in a can. Just as easy to find. You can make a ritual out of cleaning your chain. Cleaning and lubrication every 400 miles is a typical interval, and while you have the wheel up you can check the spokes, clean off the built up crud on sprocket/rims, have a look at your brake pads and check the tire for road damage.

I wouldn't go so far as to say shiny, but sporting a chain caked in sludge can be a sign these other things need to be checked.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Diesel Fuel or Kerosene for sure. WD40 will dry out the o-rings on the chains. "WD" stands for Water Displacement (that is the truth).

Kerosene is in the camping section at Walmart or a camping supply store. I think NAPA sells it too.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Gentlemen, start your engines. Let the WD40 debate BEGIN!
OK, since this is my first time around with the WD 40 debate I'll be the first in.

I agree that it will likely clean everything it hits, including removing the lube around the o-rings. But wouldn't that be remedied by simply applying a fresh dose of chain lube after the chain is cleaned?

·
30,525 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wasn't going to, but.......

OK. Yes Easy, I think that is true. However, the worry is the penetrant part. If it gets behind the O rings and dilutes the grease / lube there, it could potentially cause problems.

That said, though I prefer kerosene or similar, I have used WD40 before, and seen no ill effects. I think I only did it the one time though because I was out of kerosene. Kerosene used to be a lot cheaper than WD40, I'm not sure there's much in that now. Except for WD40 in spray cans - those are probably more expensive than just kerosene in a jug.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Youhave to read your history on WD40. It was made specifically to displace moisture. That means when you put it on rubber/nitrile it eventually will pull the moisture out of the o-ring and make it dry, not lubricated. It won't do it one time you use it but it will eventually and shorten the life of your chain.

Over time people have used it for a pentratent and a lubricant so the manufacturers of WD added an oil to it and it became the "do all" in a can.

There isn't much to debate.

·
30,525 Posts
Indeed.

It also smells better than most aerosol deodorants, adding to its ever growing list of uses.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't spray down the chain with WD-40. I spray some on a rag and wipe down the chain. I have read many treads pro and con about using it on a chain. Don't want to even chance it.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts