Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that comming off a much faster sport bike, I shouldn't expect the tiger to launch as hard but it feels like a 700 lb pig and requires a lot of clutch to get her moving. It just seems to be geared too tall for my likes and I'm concidering a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket. I realize the rpm's are going to be higher on the highway and fuel mileage will suffer but I guess my real question here is weather or not the sprocket change is that noticable for take off purposes or is the engine just a little lazy in the lower rpm range and I'll just have to deal with it like it is. I've already installed a K&N air filter, race can and remapped but I still need more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have just changed from an Aprilia Mille 04 and whilst the Tiger isn't quite as arm wrenching(it is not run in yet though) or as beautiful, I think in real world situations, I actually make better and safer progress because I'm comfortable and can see more earlier. I certainly don't have to gun it to get away or slip the clutch excessively. It is a really pleasant ride. For your info I am on a 2006 Tiger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm just expecting too much and should except that I'm about 50 hp less and at least 2 seconds slower through the quarter mile than my Kawasaki zzr1200. I think I got spoiled with the torque of the mighty Zed. I need to go find some dirt to make up for it :razz:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
With the right setup on a twisty, bumpy road your tiger would skin the zzr, no question.
They both have their preferred enviroment, but once you get to know the tiger you'll relise it is huge fun.

I've been going out lately with a few local guys+gals of mixed ability and quite often ends up with my tiger, an R1, a 955 Daytona and a super blackbird at the front and I can more than hold my own with these bikes, on the right road obviously.

The ZZR is an excellent sport tourer, the tiger is an excellent tourer but it aint no slouch and the more you ride it the more you'll like it, stick with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no regrets on selling the zzr and going for the tiger because I was looking at a tiger two years ago and bought the ZZR instead. I should have known better because my bike before the ZZR was a KTM 640 adventure and prior to that, a BMW F650 dakar. I wanted a little more highway comfort and that's why I was interested in the tiger. As for the right enviroment, I live in one of the flatest, straightest and most boring roads in the U.S. other than kansas which is right above me. That's where the ZZR is fun! 175 mph runs are a normal thing when the road is straight and long as far as you can see. What we do have is dirt roads, fire trails and things like that, that make a tiger fun and I can't get the dirt out of my blood so that's why I'm riding a tiger.It's still a lot faster than the thumpers and I'm thankfull for that but it's also a 100 or so lbs. heavier so I'll respect that on the dirt and I'm not getting any younger at 48 so that's O.K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts