Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My older brother passed away in 2004 and I inherited his old 70 Bonne. It is all original and I rode it about 4 years ago, but I just couldn't even look at it (reminded me of my brother) until this year. Now I want to get it running, get some things fixed on it, and start RIDING it. I think that my brother John woulda liked that.

My question is this; I live near Chicago, and I can't find any good, reasonably priced Brit bike mechanic around here that I can bring it to ( no Marshall jokes please!). Can anyone recommend someone???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try Morrie's in Richmond, IL. Great old Brit bike shop. The number is (815)678-3118. Ed is the man there, very knowledgeable. Good luck.
-Gary

·
Registered
79 Posts
Morrie's place seems to have a very good reputation on this board. Get it done & ride it, your Brother will be smiling with you. I go in tuesday for heart surgery(triple bypass 15 yrs ago & blocking again, hopefully only angioplasty this time) & while expecting good results you never know but my bikes are all left to my best & oldest living friend(no brothers) & id be extremly happy to know he was using them as i would. Reminding you of your brother is in the long run a good thing. Mike

·
Registered
643 Posts
All the best wishes regarding your surgery, Mike. I hope you get to keep riding your bikes for a long time to come.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to hear about you losing your brother. I know how it is to lose someone close to you. I think all of us here can agree that he would want you to enjoy something he liked very much! Post up some pictures and best of luck getting it running!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I fully understand how you feel. My father in law passed away many years ago, and my wife inherited his bike. We couldn't stand to look at it (memories), so it sat in the garage under a flannel sheet. After eight years, though, My wife said it should be ridden. SHe doesn't ride, so I take it out. I don't ride it every day, but it gets about 1000 miles a year. And I think John is glad.

Ditto

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
I can't help you with a Chcago area mechanic, but I formed up in the queue with all the other guys on the other matter - I still have 3 of the 6 bikes my late kid brother owned, I bought every bike he ever owned from him except a Honda 500 Ascot thumper; I ride them as much as possible, we had good times together and it always brings a smile.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I'm not saying any thing bad about Morries Place or Ed but if it were me I would take the bike to Harold Werth in Plainfield. He was a Triumph Dealer from 1963 to the end. He still has parts and does service on the old Triumphs. Harold is one of two of the old dealers still in business in the area and the other doesnt do anything with the old bikes.

Werth's Triumph Sales
23353 W. Lincoln Hwy (Rte 30)
Plainfield ,Illinois
815-436-6611

The location is north of the I-55/Rte 30 Offramp

For what its worth he was the original selling dealer of my RT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everybody!

Thanks to all of you guys for your responses.I really appreciate it. Not only was he my big brother, but he was my best friend, it was kind of rough for a while. I am back now and anxious to get his favorite bike back on the road. It is really nice & unmolested, just old and kinda faded. With all the race bikes and choppers he had through the years it is a miracle he didn't touch this one.

I have heard of Morries and will take it there if I can't find anywhere closer. He is about 65-70 miles away. I am amazed that there isn't really anyone in Chicago! At loeast I haven't found him yet.

Good luck Mike, and have faith. My brother had heart problems for many years and one thing he taught me was attitude means everything.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the support guys & i do have a good attitude. Spent day cleaning garage & was tempted to fire up the Bonnie & give er a rip but still lots of snow here & nearest asphalt rd is 4 miles of wet gravel/ice mix away so will have to wait till after unless i get bumped by someone more in need-That's okay, then maybe i will get a ride-LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts