Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12,000 miles for you imperialists (but that's another thread).

So I've had my T100 for 18 months and its coming up to its 20,000km service. I've never had any mechnical issues and its been a great bike. But now I'm starting to look at greener pastures. Is 20,000km a good time to trade in or should I keep what's been a terrific ride (and lots of $$$ in mods)?
If I go down the cruiser path, I won't be using it as a daily ride in the city traffic like I do with this bike. I bought this one as a weekender but I've found its great as a commuter bike too.

·
30,523 Posts
No it isn't too much - it is what it is. You must choose the bike you like at any given time. I am surprised that you would be looking around, given that you obviously like to ride that bike so much, but only you know what you want.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Regardless of the kilometers, which won't help, you can expect to take a sizeable loss when selling an 18 month old bike and all of the money you spent on mods will mean zero when it comes to a trade but might account for something if it was a private sale.

I've just been shopping for insurance for my 2008 T100 and found that its current resale value is AU$12,700, down from the AU$15,000 OTD I paid 12 months ago, and the AU$2,000 I've spent on accessories does not alter that resale valuation.

The odd thing is that if you go searching in Australia for used New Bonnevilles, regardless of model, you will find that the asking price rarely falls below AU$10,000 regardless of the age or kilometers. So it would appear that they hold their value very well over the longer term despite taking a hit in the first 12 months or so.

You can get a good idea of used values here:-

http://www.bikesales.com.au/

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have 30 thousand k's on my 07 bonnie....it is just getting run in.
I have not seen a bonnie advertised under $10k.

·
Registered
181 Posts
20,000 KM too much! Heck no! I'm planning on 200,000KM on my bike. I've got the same miles on mine and same year 2007. Like smac said, "just getting run in". Of course mine is a keeper. Can't wait to give it to one of my son's and have him ride it as a true modern classic. I wonder how much gas will cost in 2027???

·
Registered
76 Posts
i know where your at bro went thru the same thing myself when mine was around 20000 km ,i do like the look of the speedmasters,the grass always looks greener over there ,what stopped me trading on apart from taking a big hit ,was realizing that ive very rarely found a bike/ car that really fitted me that makes me grin like a kid again every time i take her out i still look back now and then and regret selling them, would be great to be able to afford both maybe when i win the lotteries,my t100 has 30000 kms now and still going great,and i feel ok riding it around town as well as on the open road i dont have any plans to sell it any time soon.brent

·
Registered
585 Posts
Different engine, different bike, I know, but my Thunderbird had 27,500 miles (44,000km) when I sold it in 2007 and it was still going strong!

Now, if you're just getting itchy for another bike, that's a different story but 12k/20k on a bike like this is just getting started.

If you do decide to sell your bike, I'd recommend you pull all the accessories you installed off the bike and sell them separately (assuming you have the original parts to restore the bike to its original condition.) I didn't do that with my T-bird and it probably cost me several hundred buck since many of the accessories for that bike are getting harder to find. You will rarely get a private buyer (and you will never get a dealer) to give you even a fraction of the value of your bolt on accessories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts