Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 1969 bonneville that I recently bought and it ran great for two or three months, then the problems started after I neglected it for about a month. I was out of the country and we had several bad rain storms. The bike was covered with a standard nylon bike cover but those are pretty crappy anyways. Well I returned and jumped on it to go for a spin, the battery was dead as expected. I charged it up and it still wouldn't kick start. After going through all the standard checklist spark, fuel and air. I found some water in the tank. I removed the tank and let it sit empty for a couple days to make sure all the water was evaporated. Put the tank back on. Tore the Amal carbs apart did a thorough cleaning and cleaned all the fuel lines. Also replaced the spark plugs, Went from a NGK B7ES to a NGK B8ES plug. After everything was put back together and new fuel was put in I got it running but its misfiring sputtering and wont idle properly. Ive messed with the idle on both carbs along with the fuel air ratio screw. No matter what I do it just wont stay idleing unless Im giving it gas or have it idled up higher than it should be.. Im thinking timing but I never messed with anything that would change it from when I first got it. Im going on 8 days of working on it and at a loss PLEASE HELP me!!! Also Ive found a small crack in my Clutch cover. Does anyone know where i can replace this at?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Did you take off the points cover? It's very easy to get water or condensation in there. If it's wet just let it either dry out in the sun or use a little compressed air. If one set happens to be closed, spread it open a bit with your fingernail to dry the contacts.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Also those Amals have some very tiny drillings and jets in the idle circuit. A bit of corrosion there can block them and they will never idle untill those passages are clear. Was there any water in the bowls?

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
Points or E.I.? When you say "clutch cover" do you mean primary cover or clutch plate? Does your battery hold a charge? How confident are you that you have cleaned and assmbled the carbs properly? Throttle Cables free and lubed properly? You will get more response/help if you post in the Classic and Vintage section of the forum. Maybe a mod can send this thread there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have clarified a little more but its points. Battery does hold a charge but I will take it in to get tested. Yes I mean Primary cover and I know the carbs are clean and reassembled correctly. Thank you for the response I will try and get this thread to the correct place. I am new to the site and to triumphs in general. Would you know a good video on timing and setting the points. Ive done it on cars but never on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I should have clarified a little more but its points. Battery does hold a charge but I will take it in to get tested. Yes I mean Primary cover and I know the carbs are clean and reassembled correctly. Thank you for the response I will try and get this thread to the correct place. I am new to the site and to triumphs in general. Would you know a good video on timing and setting the points. Ive done it on cars but never on a motorcycle.
Plewsy (lunmad) has covered just about everything in his videos.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lunmad+triumph&oq=lunmad&gs_l=youtube.1.2.35i39j0l4.5850.8885.0.16403.6.6.0.0.0.0.343.1352.1j1j3j1.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.tB7qx34Lm34

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Clean the points with emery paper,then clean off any grit.If they are original Lucas points,don't replace them with modern aftermarket junk unless they are in very bad condition.

There is timing mark on the rotor,under the circular cover on the primary case.It should be 38 degrees BTDC,but you can check it with the timing plug behind the cylinder barrel.When you use a timing light,the mark should line up with the pointer when the AAU is fully advanced.3000 rpm should be enough to reach full advance.Check timing on both cylinders.

Do a search in my name "AAU gap",and you'll find more useful information.

Are the pilot jets REALLY clean,and the idle discharge holes either side of the front edge of the slide?If the pilots are clear,you should be able to push a small wire or #78 drill 1-1/2" into the carb body.It does sound like a carb problem.

A bad condensor will cause misfiring under load,but it will usually idle OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts