Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went for a ride. Everything started out well. I rode to Fredericksburg...then to Bandera....filled up with gas....bike wouldn't start.

I couldn't get it push started. I found a guy to jump start it. It runs great when it's running, so I think the charging system is fine. I've got lots of spark. So I rode it to the local dealer and left it there. This time when I stopped it, I couldn't even get the lights to come on to attempt a restart.

My guess is that it's just a battery (getting a new Yuasa), but I'm having them check out the wiring and charging system too. I hate the uncertainty, because I ride in some pretty remote places here in Texas. I like getting on it and knowing it will start.

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,544 Posts
Sounds like the battery, and they all go at some point. No matter what bike you have, or how well you take care of it. They won't last forever.

·
Administrator
19,458 Posts
Sorry to read this! I hope it is simply the battery getting old. I have been lucky and have not had to deal with the battery gremlins yet.

Get back to riding soon!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
A lot of posts start off with "Same thing happened to me" and literally, the same thing did happen to me around 2006, gas station stop and all. Difference was I was only a couple hundred yards from my house and my Norton battery was the same style. Started right up with that battery installed and charged fine. Most of the time bats give a bit of "I'm tired" warning. Some times they just have heart attacks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It will be good to hear if its just a tired battery.
You have at least another 50k miles to go on that bike for sure.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was just a tired, old battery.....nothing more....nothing less. Fixed and done with a new Yuasa installed.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Per the question in your other thread, and you probably noticed by now, but the Yuasa is indeed the stock battery as mentioned.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't looked. He told me the part number, but I can't remember it now. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
....and....again. I got the bike back Thursday. New battery. I rode it home. I got on it this morning and rode it about 30 miles. Stopped for gas.

Won't start. It has the exact same symptoms. I had to get it jump started again. I rode it to the shop and left it. They claimed they checked the charging system last time and it was good, but it's obviously not charging the battery. I'll see what happens this time. A corroded or loose ground somewhere? I don't know.

Interesting side story:

I pushed the bike from the pump to the store. I needed a jump. I asked a couple of guys if they had jumper cables and they didn't.

So this ten(ish) year old kid comes out of the store, sees the bike, gives me two thumbs up...his face lights up in a big smile... "Nice bike!" I say, thank you. I see his mom in a pickup a couple of cars away loading ice 'n stuff into the truck.

The kid peppers me with questions about the bike....engine, is it fast, do I do wheelies on the highway...stuff like that. We have us a cute little conversation going. So I ask, "Does your mom have jumper cables?" He runs over to ask, and it turns out she does!

So she drives over, we hook up the bike and it starts right up. I express my deep and profound gratitude as I'm putting the seat back on the bike. So before they can get back in their truck.... I ask Carter (kid's name) if he wants to sit on the bike.

Another huge grin... So he jumps on the bike and I go over all the controls with him and mom is taking pictures of the whole thing. I tell him to grab the throttle and give it a few big blips.

He likes that a lot!

We said goodbye. I shook Carter's hand and said thanks to his mom again.....and we went our separate ways. But I managed to salvage a feel-good moment from a pretty feel-bad episode.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Seems odd that it would be running ok if it wasn't charging the battery. Eventually the bike would die, or youd feel a loss of power in the upper rpms as it struggles to fire the plugs if it wasn't charging at all, but could be a weak charge.

You can check the charging system pretty easily with tune ecu to get a basic idea. Could be something in the starting circuit. Also check the wiring around the headstock, not too many issues on newer models but one guy reported it recently.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had the exact same symptoms on my 2012....only if I let it sit 10 minutes it would start fine. All wiring looked good as far as I could tell but for whatever reason when I tried to restart it after a short time, ie getting gas, it wouldn't start. It would try & crank & then act like battery was dead. Again letting it sit 10 minutes & it would start. Did it the first day of ownership & continued randomly until 5 months ago when I chucked the Yausa & installed a Shorai. Cranks hard & fast even after a quick stop for gas. I think in my case as I bought a leftover 2012 in 2013 I had an old battery & the fact I used a tender often helped it but when it & the bike were hot it didn't have enough juice. It could be something else but so far I can't get it to do it with the Shorai....even when it's hot & I shut it off while the fan is running. It just starts every time now thankfully! It was so embarrassing when I would stop on my new bike with new plates & it wouldn't start!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No amount of waiting cured this. The only thing I can think of is that I was getting enough charge to fire a spark plug, but not enough to recharge the battery. After a certain number of miles the battery wore down to a point that it wouldn't turn it over.

I'm speculating that my power out was just more than my charge in and, had I ridden far enough, eventually I'd have died on the side of the road.

I'll see what the shop says.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Bikes aren't like cars for sure and if the shop didn't do a complete charge the bike would take hundreds of miles to charge. Remember the lucas triumphs? Riding at night the lights would dim at stop signs when engine rpm's would go down. If you have a multimeter check the new battery charge it needs to be over 14v to crank a bike.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The bike with a new battery shouldn't dischare like that, and the bike won't take hundreds of miles to charge either or people would be constantly stranded since most don't ride hundreds of miles a year let a lone at one sitting, sure you can't drive down the street for gas a turn it back off if you just jumped it, but it'll be charged enough after a relatively short trip.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
A very simple test of the overall charging system condition, but not specific components, can be done with just a multimeter. At rest, a good battery will read 12.45 + volts. at idle you should see around 13 + volts, and with higher RPM expect 14.5 - 15 volts. These readings will vary but what you don't want is a fully charged battery reading lower at idle than what it reads at rest. Or a reading just a few 10th's over at rest reading with higher RPM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts