Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a short ride today back to Cascade Moto Classics in Beaverton, Oregon to say hi to some great folks. It's my first visit since riding off on my new R3T December 30, 2008. I now have 575 miles on the Beast & needed to make an appointment to get my break-in service at 800 miles. Bike shops are all closed on Mondays around here so next Tuesday was my next free day off. The service manager actually asked me when I'd like to bring the bike in for the service. That may not mean much to you but in 23 years of riding BMWs I've always been TOLD when I could bring in a bike, not asked what would be convenient for me.

I need to get a custom solo saddle made. I need a higher windshield, possibly 4-6 inches higher. I need a throttle lock, most likely a brakeman model. I need a trunk & have settled on the bedroll style classic touring bag by Kuryakyn. I'm also looking into louder horns.

I find the R3T enormously attractive, potentially extremely comfortable & a true touring motorcycle. The engine runs smooth & quiet, has little or no vibration & pulls like a mule. I like the heel/toe shifter, my first. The transmission chunks into each gear with a no doubt feel & sound. The front brakes could be better compared to the Brembo brake systems on my last two BMWs. I miss anti-lock brakes(my own personal opinion).

I look forward to many fun miles on my bike and hope to continue becoming more comfortable with the R3T's handling characteristics. I can't wait for better weather & longer rides. My longest to date was 181 miles.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
So, sitting upright or canted back a little bit hurts the tail ol' bone does it? Where do you go for a custom seat? A local artisan or somebody like Corbin? I'd like to see your bike when you've got it the way you want it. And when you get it the way you want it, let us know how it compares to your previous German long distance demons.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Bob..Glad to see your enjoying the new ride. Care to elaborate the reason for the custom solo seat..lol. I get about 300 milles out of the standard seat before it becomes uncompfortable and bought a gel seat which is a little better but not much. Believe it or not a cut out piece of sheep skin on the seat made a big difference. This seems to be a sensative topic on the Triumph forums these days, but like my chiorprator said there are two types of people with bad backs those that have them and those that will get one. This is a zombie thread that might help you ... Ride Safe..Rick http://www.triumphrat.net/the-rocket-science-forum/84588-search-for-the-compfortable-seat.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, sitting upright or canted back a little bit hurts the tail ol' bone does it? Where do you go for a custom seat? A local artisan or somebody like Corbin? I'd like to see your bike when you've got it the way you want it. And when you get it the way you want it, let us know how it compares to your previous German long distance demons.
I had my custom seat on my 2005 R1200RT made by a guy named Don Weber in Albany, OR. He's retired and does custom saddles, one each day in his garage workshop. He's got a huge comfy living room chair out there for the customer while he talks & works. I loved the seat he did for me & want to get a new one for the R3T while it's in the off riding season. I'll let you know how it turns out. He charges $400 for a solo saddle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob..Glad to see your enjoying the new ride. Care to elaborate the reason for the custom solo seat..lol. I get about 300 milles out of the standard seat before it becomes uncompfortable and bought a gel seat which is a little better but not much. Believe it or not a cut out piece of sheep skin on the seat made a big difference. This seems to be a sensative topic on the Triumph forums these days, but like my chiorprator said there are two types of people with bad backs those that have them and those that will get one. This is a zombie thread that might help you ... Ride Safe..Rick http://www.triumphrat.net/the-rocket-science-forum/84588-search-for-the-compfortable-seat.html
I am a Type II diabetic with circulation issues that require a really specialized seat. I've never found a stock seat that worked. I own an Alaska Buttpad sheepskin & may add it on top. I found my last custom seat worked so well I didn't need it.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I am a Type II diabetic with circulation issues that require a really specialized seat. I've never found a stock seat that worked. I own an Alaska Buttpad sheepskin & may add it on top. I found my last custom seat worked so well I didn't need it.
I agree with the stock seat issues, my mother is a diabetic also so i can sympathize with the circulation problem. I'll stick with the sheep skin for now experimenting with seats can get a little pricey. I wasn't trying to be a wise a$$ about the seat,it just seems the general consensus that stock seats are rough on the rider.Let us know if you find a better alternative..ride safe..Rick

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with the stock seat issues, my mother is a diabetic also so i can sympathize with the circulation problem. I'll stick with the sheep skin for now experimenting with seats can get a little pricey. I wasn't trying to be a wise a$$ about the seat,it just seems the general consensus that stock seats are rough on the rider.Let us know if you find a better alternative..ride safe..Rick

Just ran into something worse. My employer, Intel Corp., is shutting down the fab where I work. 1,000 people will lose their job by the 4th quarter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just ran into something worse. My employer, Intel Corp., is shutting down the fab where I work. 1,000 people will lose their job by the 4th quarter

Good luck Bob. Hope it all works out OK for you. We haven't seen the big shutdowns out here as yet, but they're coming.

Do everything you can to hang on to that Rocket ! It's amazing how much of an escape it can be from the worries of the world.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just ran into something worse. My employer, Intel Corp., is shutting down the fab where I work. 1,000 people will lose their job by the 4th quarter.
that is sad news but not the end...You will get a severance package offer with extended health benefits(check with the HR department so that they know you know your rights!)When you get the warn notice sign up for unemployment,ask about schooling/re-training for future employment,go to Community college for 2 years and then you will be 62 and old enough for collecting early ssi..not a bad route to take...I was ready to do the same thing and than they decided that I was not replaceable and had to work those last 2 years!Lots of times the things we worry about never happen!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Intel is doing everything they can to place every last one of us in house. There is a nice severance pckage available for those they can't place. They are the only employer that Has treated me as a valuable asset instead of an ass. I'm sure it will all work out & I'll be well cared for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
....The service manager actually asked me when I'd like to bring the bike in for the service. That may not mean much to you but in 23 years of riding BMWs I've always been TOLD when I could bring in a bike, not asked what would be convenient for me.
Funny...My BMW dealer ALWAYS asks me when I can come in and ALWAYS provides me a loner Bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts