Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Background….I’ll be 70 years old later this year. Started riding over 50 years ago. I did some amateur road racing for a few years 40 years ago. I’ve always been into sport bikes and still love speed. I am retired and ride +/- 35,000 miles a year (everything in U.S. measure).

My current bikes are in my sig below. I am on record as saying I’d never own an adventure bike. But the manufacturers have largely left the sport touring market except BMW and to a degree Yamaha. I’m on my second FJR. I’ve owned almost all the ST bikes the last 16 years, including two BMW 1600s two FJRs, ST1300, Concours 14…. Other notable bikes of late, a 1199 Panigale, 1290 SuperDuke GT, two Ninja 1000s, BMW s1000r, and two Goldwings only for two up riding. Those are just a few.

I started talking to a dealer several weeks ago. I was interested in the new 1200 (remember I’m a speed freak) but decided to ride a 900 in the interest of saving money (remember I’m retired). I was not able to ride it except in a very large parking lot as it was not a demo. I was very impressed, but decided it would not likely suit the long trips I take with a friend every year. Last year we did a two week, 5,500 mile trip and a few weeks ago we did a ten day 3,800 mile trip. My friend and I have done long trips every year for the past sixteen years.

The dealer said he had a Rally Pro about to arrive and be put into demo service. I’m interested in a GT Explorer, but I knew the Rally would tell me what I needed to know. So after he encouraged me to ride it as far as I wanted, I did what I’d guess was about 80 miles. I think I was gone about an hour and a half without getting off the bike. A lot of it was 65-80 mph freeway type riding with about ten traffic signals with a lot of traffic backed up at red lights.

highlights….

Easy to ride - throttle response, clutch, brakes etc all worked very smoothly.

Ergonomics- excellent. I’m not used to all the leg room. I‘d like a little narrower handle bars and may do so, but it’s something that I have no doubt I can live with as is. The seat felt quite comfortable for a factory seat. I normally have to replace seats, but this one has a chance of being okay.

Engine - I was not interested in it’s power because I know it has enough for what I’ll use it for (and I have two faster bikes) so I saw no reason to beat up a brand new bike - I was the first one to ride it. But I was interested in responsiveness, vibration and general feel.

As others have mentioned, it has what I call an agricultural feel to it. It reminded me a lot of my SuperDuke but a little smother below 4,000 than the SuperDuke. Low end torque was not very impressive, but okay. Above 4,000 it seemed pretty good.

Vibration has gotten some attention here so I was very concerned given the long trips I will do on the bike. I consciously decided to not use cruise control and see if the vibes numbed my hands. I felt vibration mainly through the pegs above 70 mph. I know I had to be getting some higher frequency vibes in the grips, but it was not really very noticeable. I do wear full gear all the time including gloves.

About 20-30 minutes out I started to feel the tingling/numbness in my hands. This is not unusual for me on four cylinder bikes as well. I found a spot to turn around and head back. I stopped on the roadside for just a couple of minutes. I also set the cruise control for maybe a mile or two at most, then had about 30 minutes more to go. Oddly my hands never got that bad again, and even the foot pegs did not seem to vibrate as much at same speeds as I felt them at earlier. The mirrors vibrate a bit, but not bad enough to be a problem. The effect is as if they were just slightly out of focus.

I reset the gas mileage when I got on the freeway. The first half of the ride was with a pretty good tail wind, and at freeways speeds I was getting up around 50 U.S. MPG. With some stop and go I averaged 48 on the first half. I turned around and was going into the wind and also had some stop and go and I got 43 on that stretch.

I was pleased with the controls except it’s easy to push the toggle button instead of the turn signal. One more thing to get use to. The TFT gauges are fabulous.

bottom line: I may own one soon….very soon. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
2,537 Posts
Nice u got to ride a 2023, great review, hope it all works out for u…FTG

Reactions: jjsc6

·
Registered
Tiger 1200 Rally Pro, 2022, khaki
488 Posts
Very nice review! Let's see what you end up with. I know the low end torque is not really impressive, but the T1200 outruns a 1250GS on the sprints....I would never have guessed that but I've seen a comparison and it actually is faster.

I do find it funny (to say it nicely) that Triumph calls it the 2023 model. When in fact it is just the first release of the bike (2022).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that when I got back to the dealer I realized there was a Rally Explorer on the showroom. I walked over to look at it and realized the stalk for the mirrors is totally different than the base and pro models. It’s obviously because of the blind spot warning lights under the mirrors. It looks like an I-Beam. It will be interesting to see if that stops the vibration of the mirrors.

You can sort of see it here

Photograph Light Product Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Tiger 1200 Rally Pro, 2022, khaki
488 Posts
Unfortunately, no it doesn't. In fact, from the various press reviews it became clear that the Explorer model mirrors have more vibration than the Pro model mirrors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deal has been made. I should have a black GT Explorer next week. No matter how many vehicles I buy, I’m still like a kid in a candy store. Now, where did I leave that checkbook? Hope I still have checks 😉

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats, JJSC6! And now the waiting starts...a week can be quite long if you're waiting for a new bike!
Thanks. I had that discussion with my salesman. Until I finalize the deal I’m in no hurry….until I am 😁

• Haha
Reactions: MichielRP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats! I'm in the same boat for a 900 RP. Made the deal last Friday. They said it would be about a week. Now they are saying next week. The waiting is torturous.
😓

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You still use a cheque (check) book? Bet when you hand it over to the dealer they go "what do we do with this?" :)
What else would I use? Unless something has changed, at least in the U.S. dealers won’t let you use a charge card. I actually very seldom write checks anymore.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
55 Posts
Have a 900 GT Pro, something to try with the vibrations is the different modes. At least in the 900, putting in sport mode kind of smooths out some of the vibrations. On the GT Pro with the automatic suspension even in sport mode you can soften the suspension for a smoother ride. I bought mine earlier this year for a long ride from the Chicago area down to Florida and it was awesome. Had the 1200 been there I would have been very tempted, but there's not much more than the 900 that I would ever need. Enjoy the new bike!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rode my new bike home yesterday about 100 miles, and put another 165 on it today. To make my own life easier I’m going to cut and paste my post on the FJR1300 forum I posted after my ride today….

There were several factors that led me to the decision to trade my FJR for the Tiger 1200 GT Explorer , and I would be lying if I didn’t admit that it was just time to do something different wasn’t a factor. But like many of us on this forum, I’m at an age (nearly 70) that I want something lighter. I assume I don’t have to explain that. I also wanted more current technology.

What are the “must haves”? I own three bikes, and when you look at my signature you can see that the others are not suited for long trips. So this bike has to be well suited for long trips. In the past nine months my friend and I have done a two week/5,500 mile trip and a nine day/3,800 mile trip. So it has to be comfortable, carry lots of luggage and have the features that make long days as comfortable as possible.

Performance means a lot to me. I road raced motorcycles competitively 40 years ago and my passion for all things speed and handling wise has not diminished at all. The Tiger has 148 Hp and weighs around 50-60 lbs less than the FJR and it feels like the difference is more than that. I should point out the it has two versions that have 5.3 gallon tanks and the Explorer version that I have is 7.9. The weight rating is wet, so about 20 lbs are the extra fuel this version carries full.

I was always been very satisfied the the FJRs handling. I rode the Tiger on about 50 miles of the “twisted Sisters” in the Texas Hill Country this morning. These are basically in my backyard. I was at my coffee shop until about 8:30 this morning, rode 160 miles and was home by noon. I ride these roads several times a week.

To say I was amazed by the handling running at a very spirited but safe pace would be an understatement. All the articles on the bike say the same thing. The bike has all the performance features all well equipped bikes have these days. Included is an adaptive and highly adjustable electronic suspension. That along with wide handlebars, quick “steering”, light weight, etc makes for a really fun bike. I really felt like I bonded very quickly on these roads.

I have not run the bike flat out yet, but I’ve run it enough to know it’s fast. The numbers say it should be faster than the FJR. Not by much, but just running with the FJR is a good thing.

The TFT dash has the capability of interfacing with an app on a phone to perform phone, music, turn by turn Nav, and GoPro interface functions. Have not tried any of that yet.

I have not bought luggage for it yet. There are two different types available from Triumph. I’m sure there will be aftermarket as well. I have time to sort that out.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Plant community

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts