Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 2003 Bonneville T100, and when on its kickstand on flat and level ground, it doesn't lean to the left as much as Bonnevilles I've sat on at the dealer, which take a typically firm pull to the right to get it upright. It doesn't take much of a push to get my bike off its kickstand. I'd say my bike leans about 3/4 of the way compared to the ones I've sat on. I'm concerned because if I park outside in the wind, it seems that my bike will easily tip over. My bike's suspension is stock and unmodified, and I don't see any mods to the kickstand. Any idea why my bike leans more upright on its kickstand than other Bonnevilles? What can I do to make my bike lean more on its kickstand?

·
Registered
915 Posts
You might want to remove the bolt attaching the kickstand to the frame, to see if it is bent. Also, it just may be loose. If not, then either the lug where the stand attaches is bent or the stand itself is bent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My america has the opposite issue.. it has always leaned heavily but just had a new front tire installed that is one size larger than stock and now it looks down right scary sitting on the side stand.
Often find myself putting a block under it or parking on an incline.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I bet the other bikes you sat on had the rear shocks adj up higher or yours has more sag in it the higher the bike the more lean you have on the stand.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Triumph Off Road mufflers (TORs) by the way if that makes any difference. i'm thinking of getting a center stand anyway, wonder if the bike would be less prone to tip over in the wind on a center stand....

·
30,318 Posts
No the TORs do not make any difference to the way the sidestand works.

You should check the sidestand mounting bracket like someone else said - maybe it's bent.

The centerstand can be a useful accessory. Some like them, some don't (same as everything), I have one and I like it. The bike is very stable on it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
side stand

Are the Scrambler side stands longer to accomodate the extra travel suspension, if so may be someone fitted one to your bike.

Just a thought.

Clive

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Tires can make a difference. I put on a 130/90 in place of the stock 130/80, and it leans over farther on the side stand. It's also very easy to get it up on the center stand, and the tire almost touches the garage floor on the center stand.

I calculate the difference to be 13mm, or ½ inch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you park your bike on its side stand with the handle bars turned full lock to the left , the chances of it falling over are minimal ,
with the handle bars straight or to the right it has a high chance of rolling off the stand .If you're still worried leave it in gear with handle bars full lock to left
The pictures seem to show a suitable amount of lean for the bike to be safe imho
cheers staf

·
30,318 Posts
I don't see anything wrong there to be honest - that amount of lean doesn't look that abnormal to me. My bike leans about the same on a level surface.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Looks alright to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
here are pics of the bike lean with handlebar turned all the way to the left, and of the kickstand... Anything look abnormal?
jet987 you are right! your bike seems to lean way far upright than my 05Thrux.
It was my concern also for opposite reasons!(i was worried that my bike lean to much to the left and worried of something went wrong at assembly line!) i was check other Thrux and Bonnies at my dealer and ALL OF THEM seems to be the same !way to lean.But no one afraid of that.
Now in the garage i have a woodblock to put under so i bring my bike to yours height!!
pretty funny dont yoy thing
i want your sidestand now!
can we change???pls??!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Check the sidestand

I may be able to shed a little bit of light on this but I don't know the complete answer.

We have a pair of T100's, a 2004 and a 2007.
When we purchased the 2007 I was immediately struck by the extra lean angle when on the side stand and wondered why.

Examination of the side stands on reveals no obvious differences in construction or assembly, indeed, according to PartsBandit.com they both have the same part number for the sidestand.
However when each bike is supported on the sidestand and viewed from above, it is obvious that the sidestand arm on the 2007 is further rotated to the front of the bike than that on the 2004, thus lowering the effective supporting height of the mechanism.
Looking down from above the tip of the arm is in line with the peg on the gearchange arm on the 2004 and on the 2007 it is is about an inch and a half further past the gearchange peg.

What causes this extra rotation is the bit that I cant work out.
If I was keen enough I would swap over the sidestand arms but honestly I couldn't be bothered.
I can only assume that the stop block on the frame has been slightly relocated at some point in the design of the frame.

The extra lean angle of the 2007 is quite noticeable, perhaps an extra 2-3 inches from the vertcal and looks excessive to my my eye, but then again perhaps I'm used to the more upright stance of the 2004 bike.

So that's my observation - can anyone provide a solution?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wooly, interesting comparison, thanks so much. I may try to dremmel down the nub that stops the kickstand so it swings out further forward. This is what we did to my friend's Suzuki after he lowered the suspension 3", more lean on the kickstand and doesn't blow over in the wind like it used to. I live in Chicago, the "windy city", I need more lean to keep my bike stable when parking outdoors.

I may be able to shed a little bit of light on this but I don't know the complete answer.

We have a pair of T100's, a 2004 and a 2007.
When we purchased the 2007 I was immediately struck by the extra lean angle when on the side stand and wondered why.

Examination of the side stands on reveals no obvious differences in construction or assembly, indeed, according to PartsBandit.com they both have the same part number for the sidestand.
However when each bike is supported on the sidestand and viewed from above, it is obvious that the sidestand arm on the 2007 is further rotated to the front of the bike than that on the 2004, thus lowering the effective supporting height of the mechanism.
Looking down from above the tip of the arm is in line with the peg on the gearchange arm on the 2004 and on the 2007 it is is about an inch and a half further past the gearchange peg.

What causes this extra rotation is the bit that I cant work out.
If I was keen enough I would swap over the sidestand arms but honestly I couldn't be bothered.
I can only assume that the stop block on the frame has been slightly relocated at some point in the design of the frame.

The extra lean angle of the 2007 is quite noticeable, perhaps an extra 2-3 inches from the vertcal and looks excessive to my my eye, but then again perhaps I'm used to the more upright stance of the 2004 bike.

So that's my observation - can anyone provide a solution?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had a 2002 and now I have a 2007 and honestly the lean angle on the stand seems the same to me. Of course I no longer have the 2002 to do a direct comparison.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts