Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
Well just clocked up 1000Km's on her.

This is my first Triumph, must say very happy with the bike. Bit twitchy / bouncy on the front, will look into that.

Got Bar end mirrors and shorty levers coming as well.

And the bike it replaced for road duties

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Nice. Tight up the front and you'll be set.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How do you like the Akras? - that has to be my next major purchase. Had a set on my last bike (Shiver), and the overall quality, tone and high up weight loss alone were easily worth the (high) price of entry.

·
Registered
620 Posts
What do you weigh mate? I fixed the front end of mine by changing to 5wt oil and 100mm gap instead of 80.

So much more responsive at the front now, and actually matches the back!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you like the Akras? - that has to be my next major purchase. Had a set on my last bike (Shiver), and the overall quality, tone and high up weight loss alone were easily worth the (high) price of entry.
Love them, I got these over the Arrows. They weigh bugger all and superb quality. Fitted myself in no time... Get them, no regrets here. The baffles have a tac weld on the nut, easy to break the tac weld and unscrew the nut. Then took out the baffle.

Got a sample of how they sound here

Did you buy or make that inspection tag plate on your swing arm? I like that much better than sticking it on the shock
That's just a stock cover I bought from local Automative shop, few dollars for it.

What do you weigh mate? I fixed the front end of mine by changing to 5wt oil and 100mm gap instead of 80.

So much more responsive at the front now, and actually matches the back!
I weigh around 75- 80KG's

What is the gap you are refering too?

Oh question for anyone, whats is the normal Idle speed. My Speedy seems to be idling around 1600 rpm when it's warm!...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Nice bout the same as me then. The 100mm gap is how you measure fork oil level mate. Local shop will know what it means. Mines so much better now

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my bike got towed back to the service centre today.

Was on the way to work and gear change was sloppy and eventually not engaging.

Turns out a screw pin that connects the shift leaver to the rest of the gear changing parts has come loose and fallen off.

It was only serviced 4 days ago and they tried to tell me it must have been from vibration. Load of bollocks!.....

Then I also questioned them on what it should be idling at? Around 800 RPM I was told, so I then questioned why mine is in excess of 1600RPM and wasn't noticed during the service, I also then questioned what else could have been missed!

Needless to say they came and collected the bike. See what they come back with.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The shift linkage coming loose is a fairly common problem actually so just keep an eye on it for the future. Also, 800 RPM seems really low, though maybe the earlier models were different? My idle is set around 1300, higher when cold.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shift linkage coming loose is a fairly common problem actually so just keep an eye on it for the future. Also, 800 RPM seems really low, though maybe the earlier models were different? My idle is set around 1300, higher when cold.
It must of been loose from when I picked it up, changing gears is 100% better now...
Good to know, something to keep an eye on.
My idle is now around 1200 - 1300 when warmed up. So I'm happy with this, I did think 800 was a bit low.

Good to know somone elses idle speed to confirm.
Cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
Certainly didn't take you long to lose the chicken strips ( barely run it at 600 miles) thought it was all straight roads in Aussie. Great looking bike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not many straights where I live.

Bar end mirrors fitted, my shorty mirrors arrived. For copies they are made very well. Only problem is they sent me the wrong year model. I'd say they are for 2010 models. Apparently the place online where I bought them is going to refund my money and I get to keep them. Anyone in Oz want a cheap set of shorty levers, Pm me..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts