Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well I’ve been kicking around the idea of creating a new thread in an attempt to keep things a bit more structured but why start now. I will say that I do plan on going thru some of my original posts and cleaning them up/possibly adding shortcuts to newer threads, re-uploading some images just general clean up.

With that being said I wanted to post yet another update and I am hoping this one will be long and start getting things rolling yet again.

Since my last post I have ordered quite a few parts (It doesn’t look like much but my wallet sure felt it).

On top of those items I also managed to come across a set of Paioli shocks. But those are for another day when i get back to working on them.

In the last post i also mentioned the I wont begin more work until my garage is done and well i am at a point where i am happy and by this post you can assume i have decided its time to begin work. But to be a little bit of a tease here is the garage. Their is still quite a bit of work to be done and organization to be completed.

Now if you look in that garage hard enough you'll see a crate, a frame, some rims, and many other boxes that contain motorcycle parts in them and with that we start tearing the engine apart.

Now that i am happy with my garage i wanted to begin something so i pulled out my books, some tools and began work tearing apart the engine.

As you can see i used the crate i made a few years ago as a bench figured it would be a decent height at least until i get the head and barrels off.

Now to be honest i haven't read everything their is online about this bike, the engine, the trans, or anything so i am going slow and i have the books with me I was also flipping back and fourth between Lunmad and Lowbrow customs on YouTube for some suggestions along the way.

now i have removed the rockers once before when i first got the bike in an attempt to check things over before i tried to get it to run and i don't recall seeing anything a miss aside from a few missing washers here and there but that was years ago and back then i was rushing thru this process.

Tonight as i removed the rockers and the push rods were making their way out i ensures i kept track of what was where but the last push rod i pulled out didn't look like the others and unfortunately it is very bent.

Now as I said i do not recall having a bent push rod last time and the bike only ran for about 10 seconds when she did finally start but if yall remember their is a backstory of my grandfather and his brother working on the bike and doing something wrong they couldn't fix.

I don't think this is it but were getting the the nitty gritty and i haven't noticed anything so far a miss that the bike wouldn't function properly.

So at the moment we have 1 bent pushrod which no big deal were rebuilding anyways and the bike is 37 years old so its time for new ones anyways.

Now were at a point where we attempt to remove the head from the barrels and it just wont budge.

I have tried soaking it with PB blaster (and will continue to apply it), I have taken a block of wood and a mallet to it to try and force it loose but still nothing so I decided to call it quits before something breaks.

So any suggestions on removing a stuck head would be much appreciated

Not sure when ill be able to work on removing the head again but I currently have everything i pulled off on my bench in order that i took it off and i will need to package that soon to keep thins organized.

Also I have not purchased any specialty tools yet but know ill need quite a few so if anyone has anything extra they don't need, suggestions for alternative methods, or suggestions on what to buy i am all ears.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
If all the head bolts are out - the only thing stoping the head coming of would be a "sticky" head gasket (probably the composite type) -- take either a pice of wood or steel tube that is a fairly good fit in the exhaust port - you will need a few inches at least sticking out - then give it a few upward blows with a hammer - move from one exhaust to the other and repeat -- it should come free fairly easily

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I'd be very wary of using a hammer anywhere near a tsx head.
I'd be tempted to spin the Pistons to the bottom and then stuff string or rope through both plug holes.
Once they are packed as full as you can, then you'll need to secure the engine and use the kick start to turn the Pistons up to tdc.
Or use a socket on the crank to do the same.

So long as the rockers are off, the valves should be safe.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Looks like someone did not get the pushrod seated in the lifter when they put the engine together. Likely down along side the lifter. When you put it together put some grease on the pushrod end that goes in the lifter. That way you can lift up on the pushrod and feel the lifter come with it to make sure it is seated correctly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So i have tried all the suggestions provided to me from many others and i think now its time to take it to a machine shop and have them drill the studs out or weld a nut to the studs in an attempt to pull them out.

As you can see below i have removed the head and barrel as a whole in an attempt to see whats inside and if their was any other underlaying issues preventing me from getting these two separated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dude, are there any updates here? I just brought home a barnfind '83 TSX and I'm following this very closely.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Dude, are there any updates here? I just brought home a barnfind '83 TSX and I'm following this very closely.
Tons of updates since my last post.

As per usual money seems to always be a problem so ive started a side business to start saving more money

I don't post on the boards much but if you Facebook you can follow my build here.

Where did you find a TSX i know of about two for sale just out of my price range.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Here is all the Bing carb info I have compiled over the years. Max BMW is an amazing company and helped me a ton.

I also posted this to my facebook blog as well as a TSX group on facebook.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well since this post has been brought back to life for at the least the time being I guess I’ll provide some updates.

First of all last I left off I was unable to get the head and barrel apart, so I indeed took it to a fab shop and they attempted to weld a nut onto the stud but each time they did and put any torque on the stud the nut would break loose.

They tried this several times and each time failed in some way or another. I found someone willing to drill the studs out but I wasn’t quite ready for that as I felt it was the absolute last result.

One day I was sitting in my garage and noticed I had stored some angle iron from a large package I received sitting around and figured if I fabricated them in a way I might be able to support the barrel on them via the bolt holes that adjoins the barrel to the cases.

I took my angle grinder to the angle iron and cut out a scallop so the piston sleeves wouldn’t get scored by the angle iron. I then drilled holes where the bolt holes on the barrel was and managed to find some bolts that could hold the entire thing together.

I now had 2 rails that were firmly attached to the barrel so I built a scaffolding of 2x4 lumber that the entire thing could sit on upside down and placed a towel under the entire contraption.

I then took and made a 2x4 frame of sorts. The frame consisted of two equal pieces that could sit inside of the piston sleeves and a 2x4 on top connecting them together. I wrapped the 2x4’s that set inside the piston sleeves in a thick layer of towels not to damage anything and with the head and barrels suspended upside down I took my dead blow mallet and began tapping on the 2x4 frame I made.

It took a very long time and a ridiculous amount of force but I did manage to get the head and barrel separated. I was also then able to get a vice grip on the old barrel studs and get them twisted out of the barrel.

Unfortunately that’s the end of the story engine wise as I have plans but don’t have the money yet.

So I began working on other things on the bike.

I purchased most everything I needed for reassembly of the handlebar clusters and as I had them powder coated once before I began working on them however, the powered coat job just wasn’t to my satisfaction. They looked great but in all the stamped locations where theirs letting the powder coat was too thick and though I tried to remove some it just looked like garbage.

20160826_190523.jpg

So I ended up stripping the new powder coat which takes forever and tried to paint them myself. I painted them 3-4 times before I gave up. Each time I learned something else and would need to once again strip them and begin again.

The biggest issue was I wanted to color fill the lettering (putting paint in the indents then wiping off the excess). I have done this before using fingernail polish and non-acetone fingernail polish remover.

I had a beautiful paint job and did the color filling but ended up eating thru the paint I used so I bought chemical resistant paint stripped and repainted. I got to the last piece and the non-acetone remover ate thru again. I contemplated starting over but decided to wait it out.

Most of the color filling of this style I have seen done on guns that have been treated in a number of different medias so I reached out to my powder coating place and they offered cerakoting which is a thin coating they put on guns and holds up well.

This didn’t cost much and came out so much better than anything I could of done.

I tested the non-acetone on the inside of a part and though if I soaked the part it might melt off a quick wipe didn’t hurt it.
71106678_2415959485157908_3256207903316508672_n.jpg

Once that was done i was able to replace all the internal parts. And for those who follow closely early on i lost a part that shot across my work place so i bought a remanufactured handlebar and was able to keep all the original major parts but stole a few parts off the new handlebar cluster i purchased. I still need to clean the cables and polish the break and clutch levers but that will come closer to install time. I even replaced the front master cylinder.

72982483_2473674276053095_1628804718522269696_n.jpg

From there i continued with break parts and rebuilt the calipers. Again these were powdercoated once before but they looked great so i just went to polishing the surface rust off the inside of the piston walls. I debated about purchasing new pistons but they are quite expensive and after taking my old ones and polishing them up i didnt notice any major scratches or scores.

74707206_2480577935362729_3861241037225721856_n.jpg 72749185_2480578062029383_2527035792052715520_n.jpg 74168807_2480577888696067_2561906476910116864_n.jpg 74272800_2480577818696074_7398823045650972672_n.jpg

I do have a few more break parts to purchase but nothing major.

I have also taken the cases and cleaned them really well including all the old gasket material and anything else threat built up over time so i could see what i was dealing with. I am undecided how i want to work on them as i don't want to powder coat them or know if i want to do anything with them however they do have a few scuffs here and there.

Again for those who have followed along for a while know i have had issues with the Paioli rear shocks. Well i finally purchased a new set after 5 years to only be asked by another TSX owner if he could buy them. I managed to talk him into letting me take them apart so i could get the part i needed ad have them re manufactured and i would reassemble the shocks he was wanting with new oil. He agreed so i got my shocks up and running great.

I was also asked by many other TSX owners to make more plastic top shrouds which was an epic failure years ago so instead i had a local shop spin out some in aluminum and then had them powder coated and they look original but will last the test of time.

82171167_10162639933060007_2534284807790133248_n.jpg
New shroud on the left with old on the right.

68999333_2351511158269408_3642089111176609792_o.jpg
My shocks on the left and the sacrificial ones on the right that took me 5 years to find and no time to sell to another owner for a great price.

Aside from the above not much more has happened. As usual money comes hard to find and projects start to die down this time of year.

Next plans are to get the frame,case's, head, barels, and possibly the rims cleaned and repainted or coated in some way to look new. Ill then have a good chunk of money to spend on engine parts but i should have everything to get the rims back together aside from new wheels.

·
6,494 Posts
Hi Chase,

Good to see you back and to read your progress. (y)

calipers.
debated about purchasing new pistons but they are quite expensive
Have you looked at either pattern stainless or anodised ally pistons from one of the Ebay sellers? Albeit usual caveats about Ebay sellers apply.

Or cheapest I've found is simply to have new ones turned from stainless round bar by a local machinist, sometimes he has an offcut he can use, sometimes I have to source a short length from the stainless fasteners supplier I use; the the machinist measures one of the old pistons for dimensions and turns however many new ones I need at the time. (y)

Hoses - If you haven't bought them already, I recommend against standard rubber ones. I make my own from Goodridge braided hose and specifically what Goodridge calls "reusable" end fittings (also in stainless). Let me know if you'd like details.

When you reassemble the brakes, as you've cleaned the parts and are using new hoses, I recommend specifically DOT5 fluid - I use Bel-Ray.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Stuart, I would love thai info as i have decided to do stainless instead old the rubber lines.

Their are stainless hoses on there masonry but i figured i should st last look into making my own.

Ive also decided to use DOT 5 long ago due to its benefits.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Before any painting of engine parts, GET ANY NECESSARY MACHINE WORK DONE FIRST!

Amazing details you've accomplished. At this rate, you'll be able to ride the day you retire.

Seriously, I hope you come into a windfall sufficient to fund the project and get it done MUCH quicker...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Paul, i know tell ne about it. This year is all about getting some things paid off and bettering ourselves.

Not that i am overweight but ive already lost 20lbs since December.

I have started a small side business and almost all old the profit ins going to there motorcycle however ive only recently began to make a profit. Give it a few more months and i might be able to do more with the bike.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts