Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to recent events I wanted to re-introduce myself and my bike to the forums.

My name is Chase I am 26 years old have just recently obtained my motorcycle license. I obtained my license because many years ago my grandfather gave me his 1983 Triumph TSX. My grandfather bought this bike brand new and after many moves and traveling across the country the bike found a home under a car port with a majority of the parts sitting in a tub in a station wagon.

A few years before my grandfather passed away he asked my mom to take the bike and put it away until she felt I should have it. Now that I have grown she felt it was a good time to give it to me.

It has been sitting inside out garage for almost 15 years and have been touched but once or twice. My step dad took it to a friend’s shortly after we picked it up and managed to get it to run but since then it’s just been sitting. (I threw a huge fit that someone other than me was touching my grandfather’s bike and I think my step dad appreciated that so didn’t touch it again)

Here are some pictures of the bike at my parents’ house and on my trailer ready to take the ride from Kansas to Illinois.

Here are some more pictures from when I got it home

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm sure you know the rarity of this machine, and restoring it will not be easy...but well worth it! Best of luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first thing I did once I got it home was try and piece this puzzle together by putting what parts I could onto the bike and begin to make a parts list. Here is the aftermath.

And because I told my fiancée I wouldn’t be working on the bike for a while she thought it would be fun to catch me in my lie and post it on Facebook.

Since getting the bike I have created a large list of parts I know I need because I am missing them as well as a list of parts I need because they are obviously broken (still adding to this list).

Ill list these just in case anyone might have some laying around or might know of where I can get them for a great deal. As of right now I cannot afford to be spending any money on parts until likely after Christmas.
Parts List
• 06-8058 Tail Light lens
• 14-0401 lock nut x2
• 30-3616 oil filter “O” ring
• 57-2330 Kick start Pedal rubber
• 57-2331 Pedal Rubber x2
• 60-4265 Air Filter x2
• 60-7172 Flasher lamp
• 60-7215 twinseat lock assy w/keys
• 60-7249 Mirror
• 60-7315 Indicator Grommet x4
• 60-7318 solenoid starter switch
• 60-7400 rubber (carb to head) x2
• 60-7527 connector pipe (carb to air box) x2
• 60-7626 Master Cylinder (rear)
• 60-7657 petrol cap (w/lock and key)
• 60-7658 nut cap
• 82-4228 spring
• 82-9063 distance tube
• 82-9353 retaining strap
• 83-4776 badge cenntre
• 83-4931 steady rubber x2
• 83-4932 mounting rubber x2
• 83-4934 rubber centre mounting
• 83-5448 air intake – left
• 83-5449 air intake – right
• 83-7256 footrest rubber LH
• 83-7259 footrest rubber RH
• 83-8052 brake rod end x2
• 83-8244 cover – left
• 83-8246 cover – right
• 83-8259 brake rod
• 83-8278 chain guard
• 97-5061 badge grommet
• 99-9980 headlight and frame grommet

Along with all the parts listed above I need an assortment of nuts and bolts. I made a list of all the bolts, nuts, washers, and bearings/bushings on the bike using my parts book and figured I might order a few of all of them because the one I have are either chewed up or aren’t worth the cost to have chromed later down the road.

I also need a battery and maybe a original toolkit if I can find one.
From the research I have done the MotoBatt MBTX14AU is the battery I’ll be getting because it is a sealed system and is the replacement to the original battery. I know this battery is pretty high priced at about $100 but I feel if I do all this work just to have a cheap battery leak all over it I’ll be kicking myself later down the road. Once the bike is up and running I also plan on getting a decent maintainer for those times I’m not riding.

Currently I have found all the parts at LP Williams, The Bonniville Shop, Big D Cycle, Andy Gregory, Klempf’s Garage, and Baxter Cycle Parts. Before I buy ill also send my parts list to the few places who do not have an online inventory such as Reg Allen’s, BritishSpares (they don’t list prices), and a few other places I can’t remember off the top of my head

Currently my plan is to
1. Buy the parts I know I need in one lump purchase to save some on shipping since I have so many parts I know I’ll need
2. Once I have the parts ill work on getting the bike running and figuring out what else I’ll need
3. After I have all the parts I need I plan on getting it repainted, chromed, and having the engine and trans looked at by a professional
I may end up changing plans and trying to get it running first to ee if I need any other electrical/mechanical parts I am unaware of first.

I also have to get one of the tabs on the forks for the side lights welded back on and have the foot stand welded back together as well. I have heard the tabs on the forks have a tendency of breaking because they just weren’t strong enough so I might have a shop replace both tabs and have them beefed up a little before it get chromed.

I know all of this will take time and a lot of money and I should have been saving a long time ago but well family first and right now my savings have been a little depleted.

Sorry for such a long introduction I’ll try to keep updating this thread as much and as soon as possible

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
Shoot, it looks like you put a battery and some gas in it, and try to fire it up!

hee hee

If I get time, I'll split your parts list into TSX-specific parts, and standard/interchangeable parts.

Check around the forum (search) for parts suppliers, several very good ones are mentioned in the forum.

I think TRat.Net does not allow editing your posts till you reach some minimum. I'm a moderator, NOT admin, so can't help you there.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
95% of the bike is standard parts.
A very small amount of t140 parts is no longer available, and it is surprising what was made in large quantities ( as spares before launch) just because the bike is a tsx does not make a part more or less unobtainable by rule of thumb

Never throw anything away.

Things like the brembo brakes and bing carbs were off the shelf components. The trick is to find the original manufacturer's number and x reference it to anothe bike ( bmw bikes used bing and moto guzzi used brembo )

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My step dad did hook it up and ran it at one point in time and according to him she ran flawlessly however I don’t know what all he did while she was running.

I am starting to lean a different direction in the restoration process and this is what I feel I am going to do.

In about a month or so I should have everything done around the house and ill begin disassembling the bike and taking loads of pictures the entire time.

I’ll put parts that need painted in one bin, parts that need polished in another and so on. While labeling all the parts, screws, nuts, washers and so on.

I will likely get it painted this winter because I have a co-worker that owns a paint booth and has restores many vehicles who is willing to paint it so long as I purchase the paint and do the stripping. Then I’ll just need the graphics and pin striping painted on.

Ill also be working on each piece of the bike until it’s finished. I know this can take a good amount of time but I feel it’s the best way ill know what I need to buy. Once it’s all done ill buy the remaining parts (if I don’t purchase the along the way) and spend a weekend getting her all back together.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
That is a recipe for failure.

ok to disassemble the bike, but keep it in big chunks. The bigger the better.

Do the forks. then the frame. then the engine, whatever, but as soon as a large component becomes several small ones, the risk of them being lost magnifies.
Ho do you think the parts you are missing disappeared?

don't get anything painted before checking it actually fits

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand that doing it the way I feel is right for my case is not necessarily the professional way however I like at it this way be it right or wrong.

The only parts not on the bike that will need bolted to the frame are the rear master cylinder and the chain guard the rest of the parts I need to order are small bits and pieces like the petrol cap, and the center badge for the tank, and the tubs between the intake-carbs and carbs-head, as well as other plastic bits and pieces that are bad.

To get the bike rolling ill also need to buy a battery and new tires. I find this pointless because I don’t know when the bike will be done, it could take 2 years or another 10 years but needless to say the battery would be no good then and the tires will begin weather rotting and will likely need replaced by that time as well.

I know the bike runs because it has been started a few times since we have had it. I am trying to find out how mechanically sound it was when it was started but from previous conversations im lead to believe is sounded great and the transmission worked just fine.

If I had a spare battery I would start it up now but I don’t and just can’t justify buying one just to reinforce the knowledge I already have that it runs.

As far as why it’s missing parts.

The bike has been sitting for at least 20 years and during that time it has made several moves. It went from Kansas to Oregon in pieces, while in Oregon it went to my grandfathers to his brothers in a semi rebuilt state multiple times, and then it came back from Oregon to Kansas where my step dad attempted to do some work, now I finally have it making to trip from Kansas to Illinois.

So yes its missing parts but for traveling almost 4,000 miles in pieces I feel my missing parts list is pretty short in comparison. Many of the parts I need are just replacing old worn out parts.

As far as paint goes. For me paint will be cheap considering all I need to do is pay for the actual paint since a friend will spray it. Ill likely need to do some manual labor to offset his time but that is something he really enjoys. If for some reason the rear master cylinder doesn’t fit I’ll just have to disassemble and repaint the frame which yes will set me back a bit but because I’ll be doing most of the work myself ill just be kicking my own ass and yall will say ha told ya so.

I am still not dead set how I want to proceed but for my situation this is the best plan I can think of thus far.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
my point was that you said you planned to disassemble the bike and then do work piecemeal

the safest place for parts is bolted to the bike

the tyres will age. Just pump up the ones you have.

a battery in the UK is £40-50. Buy a glass mat one

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you not going to flush the engine and attempt a start-up first?
I am going to try and get it started. Just need to check over a few things, borrow a battery and give it a try.

Still reading over a few articles as to the best way to start the engine on an older bike.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I if the bike started before, it will hopefully start again without too much hassle.

Check there is a spark and fresh fuel.

I would leave the electric start well alone. They had a tendency to self destruct if the timing was off.
Rule number one is to ensure that the oil returns to the tank within a minute or two.
Personally I' d drain the oil and add fresh before starting Some people wouldn't

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I if the bike started before, it will hopefully start again without too much hassle.

Check there is a spark and fresh fuel.

I would leave the electric start well alone. They had a tendency to self destruct if the timing was off.
Rule number one is to ensure that the oil returns to the tank within a minute or two.
Personally I' d drain the oil and add fresh before starting Some people wouldn't
I actually just come from downstairs. Took the tank and seat off the bike to access things better. The throttle cable and choke cables are all a little finicky and will definitely need replaced.

I checked the bottom of the bike and i believe (without looking at the book) this image is the sump.

But again i havent looked at the books and the bottom side has a few other plugs along with that one so no sure ill read more.

I did the evil dead bash me now but i did kick on the kick starter about two times and i had no resistance and had compression from both exhausts (to me this is a good sign)

So ive heard people say "Don't start with the kick starter" and now i have people saying "Don't mess with the electo start" so confused.

Now bash me again for asking but can i hook the leads to a car battery for a quick start?

I have seen it done before and have heard both people saying do it and don't do it so just asking.

The rubber between the carbs and heads is pretty much useless so i am going to try and find something at work that will be good for temporary use.

The inside diameter is about 1 6/8" and its about 1" long on the short side and 1 1/2" long on the longer end.

Any other suggestions? Any suggestions for a cheap and easy test fuel bottle?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts