Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I new here and am wondering if I could get some pointers. I have had this bike for a few years now tinkering with it off and on. I have not messed with it in a while and am thinking of getting it going again. The problem I was having was I could not get the full rpm range out of it. I can adjust the air/fuel mixture at the carburetor and can either get it the rev high and not idle or idle and not rev that high at all. I have cleaned out the carburetor and am unsure what else could be causing it other than it needs an additive in the gas or something. I am just using regular pump gas at the moment.

thank you for any help you can give me

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do you have a shop manual? If not, you need one. The local library might have something that applies. Carb adjustment procedure specific to your engine should be found there.

Do make sure your valves are properly adjusted, and timing is set correctly, including point gap and spark advance functionality.

How did you clean the carb? Are you sure all the little passageways are clear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Yes I have the manual for it and I am pretty sure the little passage ways are clean. I used some kind of spray carb cleaner and wiped out everything I could with a clean rag. I have not checked the timing or valves I did check the spark plug and it was good.

I will check the valves and timing on it in a few weeks. I just moved away from home int the past year and the bike had to stay sadly but I am finally able to bring it up to my new home if i can get a weekend I don't have to work and am trying to trouble shoot everything I can remember so I have a battle plan for when its here. I really appreciate all the tips you have given me. Thank you

·
Registered
223 Posts
You're welcome. Hang around here for a while, and we'll have you thinking like a mechanic. If you are going to mess around with vintage bikes, you will need to develop that skill.

But basically, don't assume anything. Always start at the beginning of the diagnostic process, and that means making sure all your basic adjustments are correct. The problem you are describing could have a number of causes, and perhaps more than one issue will need ot be resolved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts