Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last week I went down to the local dearler to get the OTD on a Street Triple R. I was just wondering if there are any of the accessories for the bike that you owners would consider a must have.? I was considering the fly screen and I am going to get a set of frame sliders if I get the bike.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The fly-screen and smoked glass (plastic) is a must in my book. It makes long distance riding that much more enjoyable.

Personally, I think the belly pan and seat cowl are really sweet looking on the bike too. But the 100% must have would be the fly-screen and visor.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'd strongly recommend you get the GB Racing sliders and engine case set. Dealer won't have it though, unless you are in Europe. The GB Racing stuff is expensive but is very well engineered and looks like it's actually part of the bike. Now's the time to get it too since the Pound/Dollar ratio is closer.
The GB Racing sliders use a 2-point mounting bridge and a sturdy aluminum bar. The crash bung itself is a 2-part bung that rotates, so that makes it very hard to just break off, it can absorb more shock.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I am most likley pick up the fly screen and start with that. The seat cowl and belly pan are nice but something I can add on as I go.

The GB Frame sliders for some reason look like they are located in an odd position. I think I heard that they can be troublesome for the vertically gifted. I was looking into the LSL sliders.

The Arrow 3-1 can wait for me. I don't think as a new rider more power is going to be needed right away.

I did put a Street Triple R on hold today down at the local dealer. I am just going to hit the Cycle World Show and see if anything else is as comfortable, even though I doubt it.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ronin, A Throttle Meister and maybe after market levers. My TM and Pazzos made my bike MUCH more comfortable and I have no qualms in stating that the adjustable Pazzos have made the bike safer f/ me as the levers are right where I need them f/ fast action.

You may also want to consider a tank or tail bag at some point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Call me crazy but isn't part of the attraction of a Street Triple the idea that it is a naked bike?

That was a big draw for me. Once you start putting on belly pans, flyscreens, and seat cowls I think it actually takes away from the aesthetics. I understand the aerodynamics aspect but c'mon, who's racing for money or records here? If so, buy a Daytona. Frame sliders I understand. Those are basically insurance "in case" the unfortunate happens.

I mean, naked hooligan bike means that, naked. To each his own though. I guess I prefer things I ride to be naked. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nekked

Good point MauiBuilt !

I really fought with myself regarding whether or not to get a flyscreen. But then I thought I'd probably end up getting a bellypan and then a seat cowl and so on. I think once I start kitting her out I won't be able to stop and before long I'll end up with something which resembles a PanEuropean ;)

In the end I decided to keep my bike pure naked. IMHO if you add some bodywork parts and not others the whole thing starts to look unbalanced. So I find myself constantly sitting on my wallet saying "no, you're not buying any bolt on bits for your Street" :)

I'll put up with more wind turbulence on motorway runs, something which I generally try to avoid anyway. I'll try and keep the pure naked look for as long as practically possible. Practicality depends of course on what you use the bike for. For me it's just a toy for kicks but if I had to commute to work on it I'm sure it would be a different story.

Naked or clothed it's still one of the coolest bikes on the road today. Rejoice and pin it !

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well, I agree with the let the naked be naked until I rode my bike on the free-way at 80-90mph for 10-12 miles strait without the fly screen and visor. I also flogged around town without the head unit for a week or so waiting for it to come in. Then when it came in and I installed it all and got back on the free-way doing 80-90 I knew it was a good choice. It takes so much wind off your chest and head and just makes those higher speeds cruising much more comfortable. I would say it’s probably the one absolute must have on the Street Triple. It’s relatively small and really good looking and it really does a lot to get you out of the wind.

-Aaron :motorbike2:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Care to go into more detail? I had a hell of a time lubing my chain this weekend on the ground.
Most bikes that do not have a center stand (Striple included) come with pre-tapped bosses to screw in spools. Spools look like thread bobbins and provide a spot to support the rear frame off the ground. Swing arm stands usually have a hook to catch these spools. Having the rear tire off the ground will let you do all the maintanence required.
The ABBA stand is a rather smart design - instead of spools it supports the bike by the pivot point. The only drawback is availability - seems the only place to find them is from a UK shop. I have a Pit Bull forward-lever rear stand and like it, but if I were to do things over I'd bite the bullet and get the ABBA stand.

Neat video at bottom of page.
http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1

Neanderthal

·
Registered
582 Posts
That ABBA stand looks like the hot ticket. I sent the US Dealer an Email seeing what it would take to get one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that a naked bike should be kept to the minimalist attitude that it was designed for. I was was just curious as to peoples opinions. For some reason I think the fly screen adds to the look of the bike along with being handy for highway and longer rides. The gel seat also might be worth it from what I read in other threads. I am going to reconsider the GB Racing sliders as well.

Thanks for the reminder about the stand. After helping my friend work on his bike I know how handy they are to have.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use this rear wheel stand: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/75/7532/ITEM/Vortex-Rear-Stand.aspx it's available in the US and works great! Comes with both pads AND hooks (for spool/non-spooled). I just made one mod to it, though... Spayed "Plasti-cote" (could use rubberized undercoating spray as well) on the hooks so it doesn't muck up my swingarm in case it touches. About $100 bucks and makes chain lubing a snap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Flyscreen

Re Aaron's comment. Absolutely, I have to be honest and say that the flyscreen is the one thing I would seriously consider compromising my Street's nakedness for. At the moment I am avoiding motorway riding and just using the bike in the mountains for entertainment. Apart from on particularly blustery days I haven't had any problems with turbulence so I continue to "hold the naked banner high".

I am planning some longer trips with friends in the summer where there will be some high speed cruising on motorways. I think after that I may finally be convinced to fit a fly screen after all. I'm just putting it off for as long as possible ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's something easy to put and and remove again too. I think it's only 3-4 bolts and about 15 minutes to put the fly screen on. The visor install takes a little longer because you have to drill the holes but again, it's really easy to put on and take off again down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Came here to ask about drilling required to mount the flyscreen, but it seems its already answered! Is there a major difference in between the snout screen and the tinted fly screen addition? I really wouldn't want to hack up the lower fly screen because I really like the look of without the upper screen.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I found that with the visor (tinted screen) on that it kicks the wind up higher and smooths it out a little more when it's hitting your head.

To install the visor you do have to drill 3-.125 I think it was holes on the snout. If you remove the visor you'll have the holes sticking out.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts