Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been suggested to me to replace the master cylinder on my '02 Sprint with a larger Nissin unit from a Jap bike. This person even gave me the master cylinder off of a wrecked Honda. It appears that it will fit fine.

The theory is being a larger piston, it will push more fluid thus firming up the brakes. My bike already has the kevlar lines and has been bled fairly recently. Will this help or just make the brakes engage faster but still be mushy?

On a related note, my local dealer recommended changing to a different brake pad. Mine are original stock with plenty left.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm also thinking about this mod for my RS, after reading several threads including this one:

Click here

Sounds like a 5/8" master cylinder and a pair of pot Tokicos is the way to go. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sorry, Gamecock, that link doesn't work! It was a post dated 31/10/06, title:NEW BRAKES!!!! by Seattleducati. Comes up when you type Tokico into the Search facility.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Gamecock,
Before you switch, have you tried to exercise the caliper pistons and clean them? Always good for 3 to 6 months for me.

I have an 02 Sprint ST with dual Spiegler lines from MC to caliper, Carbone Lorraine A3+ pads, 675 teflon pistons, a 5/8" MC and speedbleeders at the caplipers and MC. Yes it is rock hard now, but it was hard when I cleaned and exercised the pistons. IMO, if your pads aren't glazed then new pads won't gain much. Just another observation, we have yet to have anyone with a long term status report on the 675 pistons or the Tokico caliper mod.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My six piston Tokicos are as firm as when I put them on. I would have needed to exercise the pistons once or twice in that amount of time with the Triumph calipers.
I started a thread on my swap a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
I know the solution. :pkit:

Just change your tyres really often for new ones and then your pistons will get plenty of excersise and you won't have spongey brakes! :idea:

Well it works for me :-D :-D :-D

Davem :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-23 02:10, DaveM wrote:
I know the solution. :pkit:

Just change your tyres really often for new ones and then your pistons will get plenty of excersise and you won't have spongey brakes! :idea:

Well it works for me :-D :-D :-D

Davem :cool:
So that's your secret!!!!! Well i'll be :-D
Cheers Dave, real clever mate :chug:

Russ

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-23 05:34, DaveM wrote:
Russ,
it's less technical but much more fun than doing all that spannering!!!! :-D :-D :-D
Well now I know wy I have the spongy brake problem. I get 8000-9000K out of a rear and 16000-18000 out of a front. So of course my calipers are gonna get full of crud and go spongy.

So the secret is to throw $500 of tyres at the beast every 6-8 weeks and get a free brake clean from the dealer..... Dunno why I didn't think of it <doh!>...

I agree, definitely more fun than working on the bike!

What will you kiwi-scots come up with next :-D

Catch ya!
Russ :-g

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got about 9000 miles on my 6-piston Tokico swap. No problems to date and a nice firm feel with good feedback on every stop.

I wasn't that thrilled with the EBC organic pads I used initially (came with the calipers), especially in the wet, so changed to Ferodo Platinums about 3K miles ago. They also do not have that initial "bite" you get with a sintered pad, but have great modulation. Have not had them in any serious rain yet so the jury is still out on those. Plus they are expensive.

I see no signs of unusual wear on the rotors and my brakes are just a non-issue. Haven't even bled them other than the dealer should have back at the 12K mile service interval, which was almost 6K miles ago.

I am using the stock lines and stock master cylinder, though the one that came on my bike has a "5" in the casting so I think that means it is a 5/8, not the 14mm.

Any long-term updates on the 675 piston swap? That looked like an interesting fix as well. I wonder if Triumph might have worked that into the '07 models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts