Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The model N73CG from Maplins at 19.99 will do everything you've ever wanted on a bike. It has useful things like an audible continuity tester, temperature probe and diode tester, as well as the usual volts, amps and ohms ranges. It says also that it has a battery tester, although I think that'll be for small dry cells.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
You Europeans crack me up. I rewired my whole bike by just twisting the sparky wires and taping the rest..

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Fifty-four quid??? I'd expect it to do the crimping and soldering as well for that money.

You can get a perfectly serviceable multimeter for under a tenner. I bought mine from a local battery dealer, and it has lasted me 10 years. Go fancy if you like, but for basic electrical work you don't need anything more than ohms, volts and amps.

Having said that, an audible continuity feature is convenient, as you don't have to keep looking at the display. For that purpose I usually use a test lamp.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
You Europeans crack me up. I rewired my whole bike by just twisting the sparky wires and taping the rest..
Perfectly reasonable approach, but twisting wires and taping isn't much good at continuity testing, checking resistance in a coil or alternator output, measuring current drain ... all useful things for the DIY mechanic.

And where do you get this idea about Europeans? Look at any thread where people are obsessively discussing the minutiae of different oils or brake fluids - I think you'll find the majority of posters are not the Europeans.

:)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My old dad said do a job properly or don't do it at all :)
I was more than happy to do the same but i want to do this right and not have a potential fireball on my hands and a funny story to tell my mates down the pub.

Thanks for the info guys

http://www.maplin.co.uk/automotive-digital-multimeter-with-inductive-pickup-222059

looks good to for a few quid more

and year £54...... I just walked away lol

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Well you can almost guarantee that anything from Halfrauds is overpriced unless it's on a special offer. Maplins is generally reasonable value.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
LOL,how true.. Anyway,here's my meter,and whats left of my wiring harness..:D
Ah, that's a Fluke. The finest multimeters (and American too). We have many of those in our factory, some are years old and still extremely accurate and virtually unbreakable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts