Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if a multimeter would be useful in tracking down the wire carrying the tach signal (in the headlight shell of my 09 efi Bonnie).
Having a devil of a time finding it.
If this is a stupid question please excuse as I have no background in mechanical/electronics or engines what so ever...I do however have access to a meter.
*( the wiring is different on the '09's otherwise I would have been able to hook up my mini-tach using the mini-tach mod thread with pics on the TwinTalk forum.

Thanks guys for any help/advice you can give me in sorting this one out.
Ted.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
If you're trying to figure out which wire carries the tach signal, I don't see how a multimeter would help. What you need is a wiring diagram.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kit, just the information I needed. I will see if i can track down a wiring diagram for '09 efi Bonnie...will the needed diagram contain all the wiring on the bike or just identified wiring in the headlight shell?
Thanks again buddy.
Ted

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
A wiring diagram is usually for the whole vehicle. Anything more specific you'll probably want to ask in the Twins Tech forum, but there's usually a wiring diagram in the back of the service manual. I don't know off the top of my head whether the Haynes manual has the updated diagram for '09, though. Also, somebody in Twins may know which wire you're looking for.

Good luck,
-Kit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts