Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Muffler Options for newer tbs?

Seems kinda sacriledge around here to even suggest, but I did buy some headers to possibly replace my 3 into 2 '99 stock, right side stacked exhaust with the left/right split. Don't get me wrong, I love'em both but I've always been a kind of dual pipe guy on bikes. Couple questions.

First, has anyone done this before and is mounting the muff on the left side a big deal for my older tbs?

Next and primarily, these newer tbs models seem to use the longer (not reverse cone) mufflers. What are some good options as far as these go?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I haven't done this to my TBS but a few notes on what you'll have to deal with.

The 1998-1999 TBS rear pegs are higher than all of the other models. The Legend/Thunderbird/Adventurer exhaust mounts for the mufflers are lower, the difference is in the subframe.

The original Legend/Thunderbird/Adventurer pipes would be your best option, but you would have to make some brackets to attach the mufflers to the subframe.

I can't recommend any aftermarket replacement chrome finish mufflers. In my opinion from what I've seen the chrome finish will not last, and is not a deep finish. What I recently did to one of my bikes was install a header from a Sprint and mufflers from a newer model Thruxton. I am extremely pleased with the result, looks good and sounds great. ;)

If you are considering selling your stock TBS exhaust consider me first in line :D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It can be done

Stock TBS headers for double sided year, muffler mounting brackets again from a double sided model, and muffler conversion adapters for the newer twins to mount old style exhaust. Walla, dual exhaust. I switch back and forth between my EPCO's (which I understand are no longer available) and 3 into 3 D&D's. Since my "Bumble Bee" never had the stock one sided system I decided to experiment.........

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, guys.

GBC, I like what you've done there with yours. I assume, however, I could mount them lower and similar to later stock tbs if I had an extended muffler hanger from the passenger pegs?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys.

GBC, I like what you've done there with yours. I assume, however, I could mount them lower and similar to later stock tbs if I had an extended muffler hanger from the passenger pegs?
Absolutely, regardless the procedure is going to require some fabrication, good luck.......

George

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seems kinda sacriledge around here to even suggest, but I did buy some headers to possibly replace my 3 into 2 '99 stock, right side stacked exhaust with the left/right split. Don't get me wrong, I love'em both but I've always been a kind of dual pipe guy on bikes. Couple questions.

First, has anyone done this before and is mounting the muff on the left side a big deal for my older tbs?

Next and primarily, these newer tbs models seem to use the longer (not reverse cone) mufflers. What are some good options as far as these go?
I recently purchased a set of stock headers that do the left/right split. I decided to keep my tbird sport 2 on one side after all. I'm looking to sell the headers if you're interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts