Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just road some wet roads, no rain, and I’m filthy. I desperately want something to keep the mud off of my back and tail pack. The GIVI mud flap looks perfect, but two folks who installed them have pointed to durability issues, so I’m a little hesitant.

Does any one have any recommendations for a good method of keeping Street Triple rider‘s back reasonably clean and dry?

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I broke down and ordered the Givi mud flap. it is scheduled to be here Friday, so I should have it installed this weekend barring bitter cold. I’ll post an update once done.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
There was light to moderate rain on my way to work yesterday, and enough fog/mist both ways today for the roads to be wet. The Givi mudflap appears to work as advertised. My back and even my tail bag show no evidence of splatter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great to hear. Thanks for sharing. I tried to install it this afternoon but realized that I don't have a 27mm socket. Worse, I don't have a 1/2" torque wrench. Now I'm deciding whether or not to buy another torque wrench and socket or pay to have it installed.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
Buy the tools. You need them to adjust the chain.

Tools are the self-gift that keep on giving. Always buy the tools.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took your advice and I'm glad I did. A 25" breaker bar made quick work of the axle nut. After that, it only took a couple of minutes to install.

Thanks very much for the advice and help.

A quick off-topic aside: I picked up a $12 breaker bar and a $16 torque wrench from Harbor Freight (after coupons). I've seen numerous reviews and conversations even here on this site discussing it. I have two Pittsburg torque wrenches and I can say that they do work. The problem is that they are not calibrated properly out of the box, despite the included "Certificate of Calibration". They are recalibrated easily enough, though, if you have a vise and some weights.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
That's exactly where I got my torque wrenches. I'm 100% positive any real mechanic wouldn't use one of them as a door prop, but for lug nuts, axle bolts and other things that don't require dead nuts precision, I think they are good enough, and they keep me from snapping bolts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed, though I would still suggest that anyone buying one of these wrenches test/calibrate it before using it on anything. My 1/2 was reading about 20% high (under-torquing) and my 3/8 was crazy low (over-torquing).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts