Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
One thing I will totally agree with UKTRI being more hands on fine detailing a bike is like doing a routine maintenance check since u r going through the whole bike anyways. so while fine detailing your bike it gives u a chance to inspect and check for anything thats loose or needs adjusting, u can spot leaks u would normally not spot until u get into or under the chassis When detailing.
and truthfully if it wasn’t for the fine and thorough detailing that I do on my bikes there would of been surprise issues that could b avoided That I would off never known about till it happens. i Have fixed or prevented many issues on my bikes over the years thnx highly to fine hands on detailing.
besides dirt bikes and Harleys and street cruiser bikes while I was progressing as a biker in my earlier years i wasn’t the best at detailing and bike maintenance. it wasn’t until 1987 when I got my first GSXR1100 it changed me completely as a biker again in my life, the Gixxer created this passion of a luv relationship between me and a machine that I never experienced and I felt privilege to own one back then they were the rave when they hit the streets. They were the Biker God,s bikes of choice back then to rule and run the streets.
I couldn’t keep my hands off the Gixxer it always had to b on point, I enjoyed detailing the bike as much as ryding them. I became one of the best detailers in the crew and scene back then, next thing I knew I was being paid real good money for detailing my homies bikes which I enjoyed doing and would do it free, but it was a win win!
i was highly trusted with their machines where they would leave them with me or I would pick them up. Trust between bikers is the hardest to get besides respect..
If it was night or slightly bad weather at the time and a bike homie needed there bike detailed I had a nice set up in my garage and I would strictly hand wash and towel dry and detail their bike over night and have it ready by morning. Got to detail a lot of nice motobikes over the years so I feel very lucky for that.
Of course then Detailing lead me into maintenance and repair which lead me to bike building which lead me into doing Motorcycle Shows And that’s where I am at now.
in the last 7 yrs I have shown 4 of my personalized custom detailed bikes in 8 shows and abd won 9 trophies, placed high in every show with mostly “best in show in class in division or overall” thnx to fine detailing. I am so anal now when detailing I even use qtips to get the smallest of spots and areas, like I said fine detailing…lol and if I do work on Anyone’s bike at my place they automatically get a outstanding detail job on their machine, I don’t tell them ahead of time so they r really surprised and happy when they pick up, what motorcycle shop would do that for u after servicing your moto ?
heres some pics from 30+ yrs ago of the first bikes I started detailing that were part of my biker home crew I road and hung with. My place was the hang out for the crew back then so there was always bad azz bikes and bikers in my driveway and garage, those where the best days for me in the game On my sportbike side, my Harley side that’s another story, I can only share so much ;) .
Sorry the pics are old if they are off, First pics are of my son around 10 then who is 40 now in detail mode on my first custom 7/11 gsxr 1127cc I was already instilling in him my biker life style to respect, appreciate and take well care of a motorcycle, it’s not just about riding only…FTG View attachment 765141 View attachment 765142 View attachment 765143 View attachment 765144 View attachment 765145 View attachment 765146
The Mid 1980's were a pivotal moment in time for Motorcycles Globally, but especially in America...
Harley Davidsons extreme dominance over the US motorcycle market started to really be impacted by Japanese Bikes, for the first time.

Thanks in no small part to Hollywood & motorcycles such as the 1984 GPZ900r.
Surprisingly.... became very popular once you stick Tom Cruise on one & get him to race an F-14 during take off -
Sky Vehicle Automotive tire Cloud Automotive lighting

Once that door was open, Jap bikes were here to stay -

Really interesting history piece by Donut Media.
Worth a watch!

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's the Internet... there has been & always will be... delicate snowflakes.

More so if the average age demographic can only be described as "Fossil"

I put a -Disclaimer- in the OP, hopefully alleviate the issue. 😁
What age is Fossil currently ( totally and honestly curious). When I was a teen, 30 seemed old. When I was 30 48 was old, Now I'm --older--likely a fossil and feel young of mind--the body--well that's another story. That all said, riding brings me great joy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What age is Fossil currently ( totally and honestly curious). When I was a teen, 30 seemed old. When I was 30 48 was old, Now I'm --older--likely a fossil and feel young of mind--the body--well that's another story. That all said, riding brings me great joy.
40+yrs = Old Fossil

At present around 1980.
You would have grown up in an era - Before the Internet, Before mobile phones....
When Betamax Vs VHS were the technological talking points of the day.

Basically if you can recognise one of these.... You are indeed a Fossil 😁

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
485 Posts
Thanks a lot. Now I feel old. :(

I remember a time before the internet. I also had a beeper in high school, back before cell phones. My family had VHS, not Betamax.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,305 Posts
i guess I am a fossil too, these were my method of communication before they ever had pagers and beepers And cell phones, they worked great …lol. what was that Version saying "Can U Hear Me Now"...lol...FTG
Gesture Sharing Music Event Photographer

·
Registered
454 Posts
40+yrs = Old Fossil

At present around 1980.
You would have grown up in an era - Before the Internet, Before mobile phones....
When Betamax Vs VHS were the technological talking points of the day.

Basically if you can recognise one of these.... You are indeed a Fossil 😁

Oh man! Thanks--I like the Fossil memorabilia by the way. Yeah went from correction ribbon type writers, to IBM selectric, Apple IIs, original Mac, IBM PC, Gateway, mimeo machines, 3/4" video, Range Finder cameras, Photo stops, smilely buttons, pet rocks, answering machines with cassette tapes, 8 track tapes, Laser videos, napster, Compuserve, dial up modems, rotary phones, transistor radios, Mr.Coffee, Pong, Atari, Vegas, Pintos, Mattel Thing Maker, Chemistry Kits (toy), car seats moving to the back seat, seats in cars in the very back, Simon, Merlin, battery rechargeable tools, LED bulbs , Quisp, Quake, good lord I am a fossil.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh man! Thanks--I like the Fossil memorabilia by the way. Yeah went from correction ribbon type writers, to IBM selectric, Apple IIs, original Mac, IBM PC, Gateway, mimeo machines, 3/4" video, Range Finder cameras, Photo stops, smilely buttons, pet rocks, answering machines with cassette tapes, 8 track tapes, Laser videos, napster, Compuserve, dial up modems, rotary phones, transistor radios, Mr.Coffee, Pong, Atari, Vegas, Pintos, Mattel Thing Maker, Chemistry Kits (toy), car seats moving to the back seat, seats in cars in the very back, Simon, Merlin, battery rechargeable tools, LED bulbs , Quisp, Quake, good lord I am a fossil.
I asked my Nephew last year at a family BBQ if he had ever built A Camp, a Fort or a Tree House, whilst he was growing up, with his mates.
He said Nope!........
I asked if he had ever climbed a friggin tree....... Nope!

That's not to say the kid is lazy, he plays more then one sports an is still in secondary school, in the UK - High School.

The environment kids grow up in now days would be entirely foreign to us.
Seem like the most important thing to youngsters today is their digital footprint, social media & Fortnite.

The world I grew up in simply doesn't exist anymore. The Interwebz changed everything!

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,129 Posts
2014. Air cooled, but EFI. No riding modes, no ABS, just simple honest motorcycling. That is FAR more fun than the spec sheet would lead one to believe.

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
170 Posts
Motorcycling math:
  • Current age + 5 = fossil
  • Hot summer = use 50W oil
  • Current + 1 = optimum number of bikes
  • Winner = 1/10th sec or 1 day. Doesn't matter.
  • Lean angle > than you believe
  • Half inch wrench ≠ 13mm wrench
  • Form > function
  • Gas OR beer = fun
  • Gas + beer = stupid
  • Octane ≠ power

·
Registered
2021 Street Triple R
91 Posts
You guys are not fossilized yet but I almost am.
My proof: A photo of me on my new 745cc Norton P-11 Scrambler in 1967. I was 23!
Then and now, all of my bikes are hand cleaned without H2O...:cool:

Wheel Tire Smile Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
454 Posts
2014. Air cooled, but EFI. No riding modes, no ABS, just simple honest motorcycling. That is FAR more fun than the spec sheet would lead one to believe.
I feel that way about my 2001. Carbs, simple brakes. Definitely no riding modes. I look up--will it rain. I look at a thermometer. leathers, wool sweater, thermal underwear, wool socks. Kick the tires, open the gas tank, good to go.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I asked my Nephew last year at a family BBQ if he had ever built A Camp, a Fort or a Tree House, whilst he was growing up, with his mates.
He said Nope!........
I asked if he had ever climbed a friggin tree....... Nope!

That's not to say the kid is lazy, he plays more then one sports an is still in secondary school, in the UK - High School.

The environment kids grow up in now days would be entirely foreign to us.
Seem like the most important thing to youngsters today is their digital footprint, social media & Fortnite.

The world I grew up in simply doesn't exist anymore. The Interwebz changed everything!
I was just thinking about that. A "what if". What do we carry from our era that this era would really benefit from--we're still here. When my elders talked of forfeiting train and bus fare to have movie money I thought wow. Mostly they did price talk. The world did not index for inflation relative to wages. Resilience though--though I didn't think it then--we I think had it--walking to school in snow, busses still running in snow. Building things, chemistry kits, erector sets with sharp edges, definitely tree houses, forts, jack knives, not riding bicycles with helmets, no seat belt laws (some of this innovation likely does save lives here and there). One phone in the home wired to the wall with a rotary dial. Writing letters and post cards Mostly I think of the down side of social media--if we were out in public years ago, we talked to people, never had a phone or gadget to check in with or stare at, everyone was a tad bit more comfortable being alone...ah and reading books, comics, LPs...the play list was a stack of vinyl that got changed, talked about, stared at with Album art. That's not to say I don't like many of the innovations. I click a button and I'm talking to Asia on video no less (cool). I want to cook something new, I look at a video, try to repair my bike, videos forums help. Learn guitar---same.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks a lot. Now I feel old. :(

I remember a time before the internet. I also had a beeper in high school, back before cell phones. My family had VHS, not Betamax.
Not too old. Beepers/ Pagers I remember those. Yup on VHS, video discs. I'm from rotary phones and a big long curly cord on the receiver in the kitchen. Wonder what a 6 year old today will say in 60 years--holograms , VR, yeah electric vehicles across the board, virtual college and voc school for at least parts of the education....I do hope instant pancake mix , Pringles and Ramen noodles hold.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i guess I am a fossil too, these were my method of communication before they ever had pagers and beepers And cell phones, they worked great …lol. what was that Version saying "Can U Hear Me Now"...lol...FTG View attachment 765216
Love that and we had a couple little rascals style forts with pulleys to open doors and haul buckets up to the roof and a similar elaborate telecom system.

·
Registered
2021 Street Triple R
91 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Mid 1980's were a pivotal moment in time for Motorcycles Globally, but especially in America...
Harley Davidsons extreme dominance over the US motorcycle market started to really be impacted by Japanese Bikes, for the first time.

Thanks in no small part to Hollywood & motorcycles such as the 1984 GPZ900r.
Surprisingly.... became very popular once you stick Tom Cruise on one & get him to race an F-14 during take off -
View attachment 765150

Once that door was open, Jap bikes were here to stay -

Really interesting history piece by Donut Media.
Worth a watch!
Have you ever seen the tie-down straps holding Tommy onto the flatbed?
Photograph Product Gesture Font Screenshot

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,305 Posts
Curverider that is so cool the then and now pics…FTG

21 - 40 of 53 Posts