Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would NEVER use a pressure washer on a motorcycle. Too many places water under pressure can go where it can cause troubles.
Depends if you are inept & don't know what you are doing mate ¯\(ツ)
I have been cleaning & detailing bikes since the late 90's... Am yet to damage one in the process.

Besides, this particular Pressure Washer has been specifically designed for Motorbikes -

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,296 Posts
Well u have been doing it a long time with no issues that’s great, Thnx for sharing your method, machine and product u used. I still like the old fashioned way of hand washing the bike and detailing. Your method just seems a little over accessive but each to his own when it comes washing and bike detailing and care, So don’t stop now. but I was speechless watching the first couple minutes…lol I felt like the bike was being tortured by means of water boarding.…lol Wouldn’t it b easier just to drive it through the car wash..lol just pulling your leg a little bit 😉 the bike looks great and have a great day!.. FTG

·
Registered
2022 Street Twin Matt Ironstone
65 Posts
Depends if you are inept & don't know what you are doing mate ¯\(ツ)
I have been cleaning & detailing bikes since the late 90's... Am yet to damage one in the process.

Besides, this particular Pressure Washer has been specifically designed for Motorbikes -

I am not inept and I have owned bikes for 50 years so I assume my knowledge base is as great as yours "mate".

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,127 Posts
Boy, it's amazing how easily a thread can turn into a pissing contest.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it is a good thing "they" have locked all you "mates" up.
No idea what you're talking my friend?
U seem angry.

Here is another prospective from a more well known source regarding this product...

I believe he used to own a body shop, in fact his video was the reason I purchased this particular pressure washer.
It being safer for bikes...

·
Registered
2022 Street Twin Matt Ironstone
65 Posts
No idea what you're talking my friend?
U seem angry.

Here is another prospective from a more well known source regarding this product...

I believe he used to own a body shop, in fact his video was the reason I purchased this particular pressure washer.
It being safer for bikes...
I am not at all angry. I just do not understand why calling people inept is acceptable. Refrain from being rude, understand that?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not at all angry. I just do not understand why calling people inept is acceptable. Refrain from being rude, understand that?
No I don't understand that.
I never said you were inept my friend, u inferred that all on your own...

I agree with you, there are indeed "places water under pressure can go where it can cause troubles."
However, you can mitigate those issues & concerns by being careful, using the right equipment & not doing something inept, such as -

Spraying directly into the exhaust
Spraying under the tank (AirBox)
Spraying directly onto the TFT Dash
& Spraying into the Air Intake, on the nose

All of which I point out, more then once, in my video.

To completely dismiss a product out of hand without watching the video. Or looking into the aforementioned specifics of that product & finding out -
Why it might be more suitable for our beloved bikes
I
s in my opinion, short sighted...

20+ yrs ago when pressure washers first hit the consumer market they were equipment taken directly from the industrial sector, used in construction sites with little to no care given to how powerful the pressure of the lance was & if it could strip paint or even cut through your own skin...

This isn't one of those, Muc-Off Pressure Washer has been designed for MotorBikes to be much more gentle overall where a more conventional / powerful washer might, as you said, "cause troubles."

If nothing else I employ you to watch Stuarts video -

He is better then me at articulating the benefits of this product...

Lastly, I am sorry you got Angry... 😜

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I think pressure washing a part that gets particularly greasy and dirty might be OK. Thinking of the rear wheel just now. But it seems like overkill on the rest of the bike. What's wrong with a hose and nozzle? That's enough pressure for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think pressure washing a part that gets particularly greasy and dirty might be OK. Thinking of the rear wheel just now. But it seems like overkill on the rest of the bike. What's wrong with a hose and nozzle? That's enough pressure for me.
Everything to do with convenience my guy, at least for me....
I ride all year round, as you can imagine the UK in the winter is wet, cold & miserable. Salted / Gritted roads due to ice & frost mean the bike is often CAKED in road debris & crap.

With this pressure washer I can get the worst of the road crud off in seconds, no muss no fuss.
And then get back in the house where its warm. 🥶❄🥶⛄

Don't mind the bike being wet, but covered in SALT & Road Grit is not good. You want that **** off asap!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Calm down everyone. We are all bikers, so let's show some respect for each other shall we?

Personally all that "muck off" product is a very expensive waste of money in my opinion. I use standard washing soap, mixed with kerosene, 70 parts soap 30 parts kerosene.

I do use a pressure washer, but only on the fairings, with them removed from the bike. I clean the bike in 5 stages.

1. Fairings are cleaned off bike, using the kerosene/soap mixture. And pressure washed front and back.

2. Chain and sprockets cleaned using pure kerosene, blow dryer with air gun and a light coating of ACF 50 is applied.

3. Engine, wheels, and components are washed using a pressure washer on the lowest setting, soaped up with my homemade cleaner, rinsed off and then start the engine to evaporate the water residues.

4. Air line blow down, blow down all the switchgear, standing water with bike running then turn off engine and apply ACF 50 to the engine, suspension, forks, frame etc..

5. Then give the fairings a light polish with autoglym. Detail any black parts etc, polish the exhaust system with a bit of brasso. Etc. It should take around 3 hours for a proper clean.

In my opinion the muck off foam stuff is a lazy way of washing and cleaning your bike, it won't remove all the trapped dirt under the fairings, because the fairings are covering the engine and frame etc. Washing you bike regularly should form part of your safety maintenance schedule, you get to check all the parts of the bike and see what sort of condition they are in.

😀😎

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,127 Posts
Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire

No, it didn't look like that for long.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,296 Posts
One thing I will totally agree with UKTRI being more hands on fine detailing a bike is like doing a routine maintenance check since u r going through the whole bike anyways. so while fine detailing your bike it gives u a chance to inspect and check for anything thats loose or needs adjusting, u can spot leaks u would normally not spot until u get into or under the chassis When detailing.
and truthfully if it wasn’t for the fine and thorough detailing that I do on my bikes there would of been surprise issues that could b avoided That I would off never known about till it happens. i Have fixed or prevented many issues on my bikes over the years thnx highly to fine hands on detailing.
besides dirt bikes and Harleys and street cruiser bikes while I was progressing as a biker in my earlier years i wasn’t the best at detailing and bike maintenance. it wasn’t until 1987 when I got my first GSXR1100 it changed me completely as a biker again in my life, the Gixxer created this passion of a luv relationship between me and a machine that I never experienced and I felt privilege to own one back then they were the rave when they hit the streets. They were the Biker God,s bikes of choice back then to rule and run the streets.
I couldn’t keep my hands off the Gixxer it always had to b on point, I enjoyed detailing the bike as much as ryding them. I became one of the best detailers in the crew and scene back then, next thing I knew I was being paid real good money for detailing my homies bikes which I enjoyed doing and would do it free, but it was a win win!
i was highly trusted with their machines where they would leave them with me or I would pick them up. Trust between bikers is the hardest to get besides respect..
If it was night or slightly bad weather at the time and a bike homie needed there bike detailed I had a nice set up in my garage and I would strictly hand wash and towel dry and detail their bike over night and have it ready by morning. Got to detail a lot of nice motobikes over the years so I feel very lucky for that.
Of course then Detailing lead me into maintenance and repair which lead me to bike building which lead me into doing Motorcycle Shows And that’s where I am at now.
in the last 7 yrs I have shown 4 of my personalized custom detailed bikes in 8 shows and abd won 9 trophies, placed high in every show with mostly “best in show in class in division or overall” thnx to fine detailing. I am so anal now when detailing I even use qtips to get the smallest of spots and areas, like I said fine detailing…lol and if I do work on Anyone’s bike at my place they automatically get a outstanding detail job on their machine, I don’t tell them ahead of time so they r really surprised and happy when they pick up, what motorcycle shop would do that for u after servicing your moto ?
heres some pics from 30+ yrs ago of the first bikes I started detailing that were part of my biker home crew I road and hung with. My place was the hang out for the crew back then so there was always bad azz bikes and bikers in my driveway and garage, those where the best days for me in the game On my sportbike side, my Harley side that’s another story, I can only share so much ;) .
Sorry the pics are old if they are off, First pics are of my son around 10 then who is 40 now in detail mode on my first custom 7/11 gsxr 1127cc I was already instilling in him my biker life style to respect, appreciate and take well care of a motorcycle, it’s not just about riding only…FTG
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Photograph
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Photograph

1 - 20 of 45 Posts