Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO yesterday I started my Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. Its been very fun, I've learned quite a few things I thought "I didn't" need that would have prevented my crashes last year. The bikes are junk but hey I get a license when its all done so thats cool.

I would highly recommend to every one to take this course, its $25 so why not.

Wondering if any one has any experience with the test we have to take and any tips.
Thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Took the class, learned why (always the first question I ask), practiced what was taught, took test - aced same. It is the best money you will spend to protect yourself in the future. Well done!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heck its cheaper than the road test alone and you get a nice insurance discount to boot.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
MSF in Canada is 400 bucks and as of this February they don't issue you a license anymore....

Booooooo!

Good on you for taking yours!

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
It is the best money you will spend to protect yourself in the future.
Here in Hawaii, the MSF Basic Rider Course is not subsidized by the state and costs $200.
Still the best money you could spend.

As for advise on the final evaluations, work on your clutch control for the first one and make sure you keep your head and eyes UP.
DO NOT look down and look through the turns.

Many students are nervous about doing the U-Turns part, but you cannot fail by not doing that part perfectly.
If you cannot stop, turn or avoid a hazard, you will or certainly should fail.

The Final evaluation is no harder than and not asking any more of you than you will do in the earlier exercises.

Dont sweat it and enjoy.

Once you have a few more miles in the saddle, go back and do the Experienced rider course. It is a one day affair and it will teach you even more.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I took the MSF course many years ago, and what always stood out in my memory was the instructor telling the group about the "mental exercise" portion of riding, and not just the physical skills that need to be developed. Having ridden for years before taking the course, I think the classroom portion of the course was equally if not more important than the basic operating skills we were shown.

denoose

·
Registered
42 Posts
MSF in Canada is 400 bucks and as of this February they don't issue you a license anymore....

Booooooo!

Good on you for taking yours!
I teach in Calgary, and the course (every school I've checked) is right around $600, plus it costs approx $125 to take the test. In Alberta they just changed the test to a road test this year. Probably a little more than the country average because everyone in our city has too much money for their own good.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
my wife takes hers on the 27th of April through Alberta Safety council and it was 400 for the weekend course.

It's killing her. She just bought a Triumph TT600 and she is very anxious to get going.

·
Registered
56 Posts
$25!

I was trying to get my wife in as well and the cheapest is $175 all the way up to $300-400. The former being at the MVA and latter(you guessed it) HD!

Our registration opened late Feb and filled in less than a month through the WHOLE year. I found one MSF ERC in Sep.

glad you got in and your taking it RED.

Hope I'll have better luck next year................

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Or...............you good just join the Marine Corps get yourself posted to Hawaii and you will most likely get Wombat training you for nothing! :)

Wombat forgot to mention he is also an instructor:p

DaveM:cool:

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
...I would highly recommend to every one to take this course, its $25 so why not....
More than 10X here in CA - good for MI subsidising to that degree.
Like you say, Tom, why wouldn't anyone take advantage of it at that, with the associated benefits beyond the primary objective?

Michelle aced hers with very little real world riding experience, and felt it was invaluable.
She said the best thing she learned (as far as the testing part goes) was for the manouvers (figure 8's etc) to look where she wanted to go rather than at the bars.
She was first to lead off each test after the instructor demo & led the way for the rest of the class to match her scores.

Looking forward to some nicer weather so we can get out & enjoy some trips together.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I took the expirienced riders course about 6 months ago. I think the courses really help to reinstate the necessary skills to keep you alive while riding. The place I went also offers a "sport bike" course as well and I will be attending that as soon as my schedule aligns with theirs.
There is always something to be learned from these courses...even if it is something you already know, you should come out of it with a bit more experience.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't get it. What's included in MSF?
What you guys are speking about sounds very much like what's included in traffic school over here, a obligatory school to get your license. Involves learning all the traffic rules and laws, learning about the vehicle, learning about traffic and behavior.
Then when you have learned this you have all the practical riding lessons where you learn to handle the bike, maneuvering at very low speed (less than 5 mph), breaking at low and high speed, maneuvering track at low and high speed, riding at open road and in city traffic.
Depending on how fast a learner you are this takes about 5-10 theory lessons and 4-15 riding lessons, each lesson about one hour long. Then there is a theory test 80 questions long and you have to get 76 right to pass and after that a practical riding test going through all the above.
This is just to get the driving license.
Now you have a basic license for a bike with less than 25kw and no more than 0,16 kW/kg, then if you managed to stay clean for 2 years and are over 21 you can take the riding test to upgrade the license so you can ride any bike without restrictions.

I don't know what's involved in getting a driver license in other countries but is it something similar?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I took it when I lived in Iowa. Easiest way for someone without a bike to get a license. I ride and raced dirt bikes for years so I was very comfortable with the Honda 200's we were using. There was alot of basic drivers ed type stuff in the class room. Once we got on the bikes though you could see where first time riders would benefit. There was alot of how to ride instruction going on. For me personally I found I had alot of bad habits (Not covering the clutch, not looking far enough ahead). The instructor could also tell I had a dirt bike background just from my riding style. Anyway I got a 100% on the riding test and 1 wrong on the written test. I thought riding those little hondas was great, I would not want to take the same exact riding test on a big Harley, my Sprint or any other sport bike. Some of those turn arounds were very tight and there is no way a bigger bike could turn that sharp

·
Registered
329 Posts
lazarus
In the US all one needs to do is pass a very simple written test and a simple riding test from the DMV (department of motor vehicles). As an option one can take (and pass) the MSF course in lieu of the DMV "road" test. This gets you a 'full' cycle license that allows you to purchase or ride any street legal mega horsepower bike. Actual procedure varies somewhat state by state. Now in other countries...obviously such as yours...the basic requirements to get a riding permit are much more onerous and involves a level of instruction that we associate with the MSF courses. Here in the US most any idiot can get a drivers license or motorcycle license while showing a bare minimal capability or brain functioning. Some European countries i understand have a more rigorous process. What we take as going a step above (ie MSF course) probably equates to less than what is required in your country to get the initial riding permit.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Man, here in Alberta it is ridiculous. Your regular drivers license allows you to purchase and ride a motorcycle without any prior knowledge or even ever having been on one. The stipulation is that you have to ride with someone with a valid full motorcycle license. I also think you can't exceed 100kph.

For Mrs. Calliway she went and paid the money to go take her MSF. I am not going to teach her my bad habits plus she has no standard transmission experience so she can go cook the clutches of the MSF bikes and not her Triumph.

After her course we will head down to the DMV where she will get her full license. Can't wait. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
I agree with you Calli,

no amount of driving a car helps much when riding a motorcycle.

That is a dangerous piece of legislation you have there in Alberta that allows such foolishness.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
In California you can get a motorcycle learners permit by just passing the written motorcycle test. Then you can ride during the day light but without a passenger and not on the freeway ... Then when you are ready you can take the driving test at DMV - or take the MSF course instead. In either case, you have to pass the DMV written test ... But I do agree, the MSF course is the way to go. I know many who get their learners permit and then never take the driving test at DMV ... and just drive with an expired learners permit until they get tagged ...

Paul

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks guys, that explains it.
Knowing what you do about how to get a license over there, aren't you scared sh**less of being in traffic, I know I would be. :eek:

·
Registered
890 Posts
SO yesterday I started my Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. Its been very fun, I've learned quite a few things I thought "I didn't" need that would have prevented my crashes last year. The bikes are junk but hey I get a license when its all done so thats cool.

Wondering if any one has any experience with the test we have to take and any tips.
Thanks
Tom
Here in Austin, TX it's around the $180 range. But you can also take it at the local community college and it's about 1/2 the cost. Not sure why it's cheaper, I can only guess the instructors are "students" training to be MSF instructors perhaps...? shrug...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts