Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'd like to try an MRA Vario windscreen. Anyone have one they would like to part with, or a lead on a bargain? Hoping to get it shipped to 80303 (Colorado, USA).

Cheers, -Joel.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Hi,

I think you might be disappointed with it, in my opinion it doesn't do the job it is intended to do. I found it was no better than the standard or taller screen. If you're looking to stop the infamous 955 buffeting, you have to have something tall enough to deflect the wind over your helmet.

Good luck with your choices though :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ii still have the old Tiger bought in 2001 although way down the food chain nowhere days...but still the only bike I have ever done a 1000 mile day on, and that was 2 up with my wife on the back...what screen you use has as much to do with you being one up or two up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I am not expecting great results but I did have some success with a laminar lip on the screen I eventually settled on (a modified GSXR double-bubble). However the lip is not very sturdy so I am interested in the more solid-looking MRA setup.

·
Registered
2001 Tiger 955i, 2009 Street Triple 675R
84 Posts
I’m curious as to how the GSXR double bubble fits on your 955? Any pics? I have a Powerbronze smoked screen currently but I still get buffeting 70mph+

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
As a few of you will already know, I did a lot of experimentation back in the day getting rid of the dreaded 955 buffeting. I tried all sorts of tall screens and a vario, non of which worked for me at 6' 2". The only way to get rid of the buffeting is to have a screen tall enough that takes the wind over the top of your helmet. The only thing that worked for me was my homemade vario screen, made from an original Triumph tall screen with a homemade vario on top. I cut this from some perspex, heated it in the oven and shaped it to fit the tall screen. This set-up worked perfectly, and eliminated the buffeting completely :) . Only trouble was.....all my food tasted of perspex for a week or two :p

Golf cart Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive mirror

Plant Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Plant Window Motor vehicle

Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Land vehicle Plant Tire Vehicle Window

Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting Green Automotive tire

Green Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fender

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to get rid of the buffeting (like rapid-fire snowballs of air hitting you) but now I am working on the wind blast in general. Buffeting was the worst with the tall touring OEM screen and much better with a shorter than stock option with a larger "bug duct" which is what I call the bypass air that throws bugs up behind the screen and into your face.

My GSXR screen is cut and modified a lot.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

I may try making my own larger laminar lip. My goal is something more like my stock VFR, where even with taller bars I can go 85mph with a slightly open faceshield and not too much wind roar. The modded tall screen looks great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Palmer does a better job than the Vario, but it's a bit clunky. Best thing I've done regards buffering, is getting rid of the huge, non-aerodynamic mirrors.
They're a major contributor.

·
Registered
116 Posts
They are Suzuki - maybe SV650 IIRC? My friend was a Suzuki Main Dealer and they were a customer return - he gave them to me, didn't require much adjusting to fit...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
At 6'4" tall, I went with the Madstad screen. Works perfectly. rode from California to North Carolina and back. It work so well, if I didn't have eye pro, it wouldn't have mattered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a genuine touring screen with Puig Multi-adjustable clip-on visor added with Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards with spoilers and the MOST important thing: Tiger 800 mirrors, which seem to be a perfect fit. Almost no buffeting and I can drive with the visor up most of the time. Used to have MRA Vario Screen with my previous 955i as well as Touratech hand guards with spoilers and original mirrors. More buffeting than now, but less than without Vario Screen. So I would not call Vario Screen useless, but one needs to change mirrors and hand guards as well. BTW, I'm 183 cm.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Hmmmm.....I'm not convinced about the mirror thing ?? :unsure:

When I was doing my "get rid of the buffeting thing", and bear in mind this was before the buffeting issue had been resolved, I used to ride at my normal cruising speed of about 60 - 80mph, put my left hand out in front of me and "feel" where the airflow was hitting my helmet. It was always off whatever screen I was using, and the mirrors had little influence at all. I personally think the mirrors are a red-herring and stand by my findings that you need a screen tall and wide enough to take the airflow over the top of your helmet. The taller you are, the harder that is going to be, but at 1.86m (6' 2" in old money) it was certainly achievable for me :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed the difference, but like said, it's an individual thing. Seat height, handlebar height, mirrors, and screen all can make the difference. And my Schuberth E1 is not one of the smallest helmets around. Btw, I also installed SW Motech bar raisers which can have some effect nowadays. I used the same method to find out the wind flow back in 2009 with my 2005 Girlie and MRA worked just fine. You might even find my old posts about it, but with different nic. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts