Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Just a quick question, just got this new Bonnie, 2008 EFI version, what should I expect mpg wise please, just for re-fueling references,
Thanks
Terry

·
Registered
306 Posts
mpg

Hi Terry,

Well that depends mostly on how hard you ride it. I have seen reports from as low as about 35mpg to as high as 55mpg. I have an 06 790cc carbed bonnie and average about 45mpg. I have not seen reports of the EFI engines being much different in mileage than the carbed versions. I can go somewhere about 130 miles to reserve. My mileage was better when I was running non-ethanol fuel but now that is not usually available. On my first tank I would stay close to a station after I hit 100 - 120 miles and just see how far you go beyond that. That would give you a good benchmark.

Pops

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for that Pops, I think your gallons are a bit smaller than ours, I rode it home the other day on a 250+ mile trip mostly motor way, leaving it at about 90ish miles between fill ups, partially because I did'nt know the tank range, and also where the petrol (gas!) stations were, I was surprised how much I had left in the tank.
I read on an eBay add a seller says he got 62mpg riding 2 up, but I think that may be a bit optimistic! (to say the least;), after all, he's selling it!)

·
Registered
306 Posts
62mpg?

If he was getting 62mpg and 2 up, he must have been riding really slow on country roads with no traffic. That is not much fun, might as well be peddling. :p I believe your gallons are larger than ours come to think of it. I have been riding interstate speeds of 80+ with the little riding I have done the last few months and have not checked my mileage. Reserve would put me about 1/2 way to work on the interstate so I usually fill up at about 110 miles when I am doing that and putting in around 2.2 - 2.5 US gallons.

Pops

·
Registered
630 Posts
62MPG is possible if you are talking imperial gallons, I've seen a best of 60MPG during highway travel at a steady 65MPH but that was not 2 up. Mines a carbed bike and I suspect the EFI bikes would be even more efficient so 62MPG is quite believeable even 2 up. In fact, if I tried real hard, I reckon I could go damn close to doing that on my carbed bike now that it has 10,000 miles on it.

Your MPG will improve dramatically as the engine loosens up, at least that's been my experience. Best MPG is achieved using high octane fuel as well (95 RON here in OZ).

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Before I made a few changes to mine (jets, mufflers [silencers], no snorkel, etc) I was getting around 46 - 48 MPG US. Since I changed a few things, I am now 38 - 40 MPG. With that said, I am also at 6200 feet above sea level, which is probably robbing 1 or 2 MPG's from me. As you get more familiar with the bike, your MPG's are going to drop, I beleive. When she's new, you treat her nice and when you figure her out, you start to treat her right?

I'd count on at least 130 miles before you hit reserve. But also, be aware, once you hit that reserve, you most likely have about a gallon of gas left in the tank. It won't all be available to the engine unless you slosh it around a lot when riding. Unless you are in the absolute middle of nowhere, I think you'll always have enough to get to the next station, once you hit reserve.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Terry - I managed 50mpg out of my efi Bonnie or roughly 110/115 miles till the red light

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have done 1000 miles on the EFI Thruxton
Topped up the other day with 7.25 litres after 75 miles
= about 10 miles to the litre
Which with a tank capacity of 16 litres
= 165 miles
This is over motorway, A road - and not exactly cruising to maximise fuel consumption
Problem is - the red light comes on at about 12 litres - which panics you into buying petrol
Plus even at 'empty' there is fuel swilling around that cannot be used
Ergo - the real range of these bikes before trouble kicks in?
= 140 miles - no more

·
Registered
138 Posts
= about 10 miles to the litre
I was wondering what you used for fuel consumption figures these days. I see many Brits still use mpg which is a little bizarre considering you buy your fuel in litres. Who still uses Imperial (UK) gallons?

In Oz (& presumably Canada) we use litres per 100 km like most of the metric world, although many cannot cope with this despite metric units having been in daily use for over 35 years.

For those that don't know the difference, the UK gallon is based on 20 fluid ounces (or the volume of 10 pounds of water), whereas the US gallon is based on 16 fluid ounces (or a volume of 3" x 7" x 11" = 231 cubic inches)

Here endeth the lesson.

DaveO

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
62 sounds impossible to achieve unless it is going at 35 in 5th on an endlessly straight road.
Thrasher is right - the whole litre / gallon thing is confusing.
Based on my calculation, I reckon I am getting 47mpg per 3.5 gallon tank. It is easier to set the trip and log the number of litres required to take it to the brim - then divide that mileage by the number of litres just put in the tank.
BTW there are 4.54 litres per Brit gallon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
BTW there are 4.54 litres per Brit gallon.
If you wanted to be really anal about this, you could claim that the UK gallon was defined by Act of Parliament in 1985 to be 4.54609000 litres.

Overall, that is by calculating all the fuel I have ever put in my 09 EFI compared to the odometer, I have used 4.687 litres per 100km, with a best of 4.4 and a worst of 5.0.

Pomspeak: Average: 60mpg; Best: 64mpg; Worst: 56mpg

Yankspeak: Average: 50mpg; Best: 53mpg; Worst: 47mpg

DaveO

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a good trip out yesterday, 175 miles on Motorway, A roads, town etc, a good mix, and just on 15 lts, which I though was pretty good.
I went from Bath across to Alton in Hampshire, using the A303, then back down to Eastleigh on the M3/M27, A36 up through Salisbury, onto warminster, Trowbridge and home to Bath, so as I say virtually every type of road covered except dirt track!
Cost me about £13.50 total.:)
I did'nt cane it as its still only got just over 800 miles on the clock and still running in, but it was doing steady 70's plus a bit, so I'm quite pleased.:):D

·
Registered
47 Posts
my 2008 efi bonnie with 3000 miles on the clock gives me between 110 miles and 128miles between full tank and petrol light coming on!
Average fuel consumption is 50 mpg (UK gallons)

·
Registered
355 Posts
my carbed 865 gets around 52 imperial MPG...my 1969 Bonnie gets over 60...my 1968 TR6P used to get 70 on a trip 30 years ago...all imperial MPGs...funnily enough my 865 gets worse consumption on back roads at slow speeds (meaning unsealed roads at 60-80kph)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
60 plus mpg, Jesus.
Got a 2009 efi bonnie with 1500 mile on it and I get between 37 to 40. Light starts to play at about 110 to 120 miles. Was worse before I put the TOR's on it and had it remapped.

Bike runs strong and I didn't buy it to save gas. I certainly thought I would have gotten 45 mpg or better, though.

Anything over 40 is a keeper.
When I bought it. light came on at about 85 to 90 miles, or about 30 mpg.

The bonnies look good enough to forget the mileage.
Just fill it up and enjoy!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just worked mine out, 54 to the gallon, thats not bad, as I say I'm being a bit gentle as its running in still, but even after that I doubt if it will alter much.
Thanks for all the relies, I did'nt expect this thread to run this long!:wideeyed:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts