Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...as I reported previously my fuel dropped form near 50mpg to under 40 and I have been on a quest to find why. After getting great tips here and trying everything I could myself I took it to the dealer in a last ditch effort and had them check it on the computer.

I am tempted to give a review of my experience...but will hold off. Basically I was treated great, though the shop manager asked me if I were sure I was getting that mileage because it seemed high to him and told me that not only would loading the TOR not solve the issue, he would NOT do it. Later when I was checking the progress of things, I talked to the tech working on my bike on the phone and told him that I had installed a K&N he said well let me try "something with the mapping".

The end result is, he loaded the TOR map, (not sure if the mgr knows or what) and told me after test riding it, "This bike runs FANTASTIC, and if it were mine I would happily ignore the 40ish mpg and just enjoy it. Its one of the best running bikes I have ridden". Now...maybe it was a pitch and maybe he was making me feel good...but hey it worked, because I do! lol Total cost $45

The bike has MUCH better throttle response, more power, and runs about 300 rpm lower at any given speed. At 75 on the highway it gets 41 mpg and that’s pretty good overall. Will I ever find out why I was getting the results I did before? its seems...no.... what to do then? I think I am going to take the tech's advice...time to TWIST that throttle!

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
.........The bike has MUCH better throttle response, more power, and runs about 300 rpm lower at any given speed. !

.... its great that they sorted it out but if its running at lower rpm as you say - (assuming in the same gear) - he must have changed a sprocket as well to gear it up which is unusual.This would usually tend to give more sluggish throttle response.

You should check with him again just what he has done - sounds like a good modification;)

Grant:cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no sproket change...(not for $45 hehe) I think the K&N needed a better feul mix and the TOR mapping, some throttle body, and idle adjustments he made seems to have gotten it right. Good mix is making more power...better speed at less rpm. :)

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
Hi M,
thanks for the report back.

It does sound like a bit of a mystery and I am not one of the resident tech genius's here.

What is good is that the bike is running so well.

Just out of curiosity do you run a high grade of fuel or a low grade?

cheers and enjoy twisting that throttle:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
no sproket change ... better speed at less rpm. :)
The only way that works is if the uploaded TOR tune also had a change to the speedometer calibration. Which is possible I suppose, and might explain why my speedo is about 10% high.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The bike has MUCH better throttle response, more power, and runs about 300 rpm lower at any given speed. At 75 on the highway it gets 41 mpg and that’s pretty good overall. Will I ever find out why I was getting the results I did before? its seems...no.... what to do then? I think I am going to take the tech's advice...time to TWIST that throttle!
Around 41 is what I have gotten with my Sprint since it was new. The only time I saw over 50 was while in high altitude areas of New Mexico and Colorado last year on my trip. At first I was a bit envious of those getting high 40's low 50's but have since learned to live with it and just enjoy the ride.

Speed Safe,
Don

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was getting 50+MPG on my 07 when I first got it. Actually for the first few months. Then, I started reading this forum and my MPG dropped to the low 40s. :mad:

·
Registered
117 Posts
As a reference to a 955 Sprint (2004) I have a race can and off road tune with free flowing airfilter and usually get around 50mpg if not going too hard.

Cheers,
DaveM:cool:
I think 2004 was a good year Dave... I get 50-53 with Trident and TOR on mine, also "normal" riding. Even taking into account my (apparent) optimistic speedo, that's 45-48 worst case...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks to all the helpful people on this board, I found out that my 1050 guages were reporting miles and imperial gallons. Once I set the guages to miles and us gallons my mpg indicator corrected from 50+ to low to mid 40s. I have recorded 48 mpg (actual) once using the gallons used vs miles driven method, but to get that I almost never went over 5500 rpm for an entire tank of gas.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I wonder if that is the op's problem. Maybe a surge or something reset the imp/us mpg settings.

FYI my 05 with TOR and IXILs 5.3L/100kms on the highway and about 5.9L/100kms in town.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few answers to posted questions and comments:

DaveM: I use low grade 89oc., which is what I have always used even when the miliage was registering near 50 mpg. I never have a pinging or hesitation problem wiht it. (yes I know mid grade is the perscribed fuel :)

DEcosse: Strange as it sounds. 75 mph = just at 4400 rpm before the TOR...now its just above 4000ish. I have no explaination for this.

kredge: I took it to NCY in San Marcos, Ca

Gearhead_42 & DaveM: yep I was hopeing to get back to that magical 48ish...but ah well...whaddya do?

1050STrider: Speed Safe....I have noticed...how much FASTER "slow" is now...lol. Glance at the speedo and I am doin 95mph hummin along...and say ...ooooops.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
.... Good mix is making more power...better speed at less rpm. :)
More power cannot change the gear ratio Mmagus - the engine rpm and speed are definitively coupled at a fixed ratio, regardless of the power produced. You could add a turbo or NOS and the speed/rpm would still be identical.

The only way that works is if the uploaded TOR tune also had a change to the speedometer calibration. Which is possible I suppose, and might explain why my speedo is about 10% high.
Except there is no speedo calibration factor in that gen of tune (like there is in the later models)
10% high is pretty typical error on the Triumphs

I know what happened--they adjusted his clutch cable!! ;)
This one has some credibility!!!!

.... Strange as it sounds. 75 mph = just at 4400 rpm before the TOR...now its just above 4000ish. ...
Just not possible - other than perhaps a previously slipping clutch suggested by radix99 - or you just discovered 6th instead of 5th :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Of course all of what DEcosse has said is right, but also remember that MPG or Lt/100km is only relative.

Maybe Mmagus was riding careful when he first got his bike, then as he got more comfortable with it, started to open the throttle more. The harder you ride the more fuel you're going to use... But also the type of riding you do.

My 03 RS ranges a fair bit. I do a lot of city riding combined with blats thru the twisties on days off and usually average about 6.3Lt/100kM. But when I'm touring, with gear or without, I usually do better than 5Lt/100km. My best ever was getting to 380kM before the fuel light came on (@16.5Lt or 3Lt left). It's all relative.

And fuel type does make a difference. I never run anything less than 95 octane (if I can help it).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry DEcosse

...was just trying to answer the original question from Mmagus, I did realise what you were talking about, and again you're right, it's impossible to have a mph change without changing something mechanical.:eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts