Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know of any members from Japan? There used to be a guy posting here, oh, about a year or more ago, nicknamed 'kjcool' I think, but he's not listed anymore. :???:

I'm asking because I'm moving to Japan in a couple of months (last lived there back in '91-'93) and I'm trying to decide whether it makes more sense to sell my '05 Rocket and buy one over there, or if they're so expensive (like so many other things in Japan) that I'd be better off paying the couple thousand dollars to ship mine. I tried looking on the web, but my Japanese abilities are pretty much limited to the spoken word. I'd love to ask someone familiar with that market what the going rate was for a used Rocket. Also, from time to time it'd be nice to have a riding buddy...

I can put the California emissions junk back on to get it in country, and I suppose that would do. (Is anyone's a_s tighter than California's when it comes to emissions?)

Thanks for any names, info, help, prices, or whatever!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey onefreeborn, good luck on your "change of lifestyle". Hope all goes well & you do get the info you need on the Rocket issue, whether you take your's along or have to purchase at the other end of you travels.

Take care, & post when you get settled on the other side of the ocean.

[ This message was edited by: rusty on 2006-12-10 09:34 ]

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Free Born be safe and enjoy the move over. Is this a permanent move or just for a couple of years? You definetly need to post what it is like to ride over there. Take care

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the send off guys. Lee, this is for at least two years so I've gotta have a Rocket. The prospect of being without my Rocket is analogous to being without sex; and I'm determined to ensure I lack neither.

I'll keep you all posted on riding there. I'm sure a lot has changed since I last blasted around Japan on a crotch rocket (fresh out of university) some 13 years ago. Outside Tokyo, and other major cities, there was some really nice riding. But I'm afraid traffic in Tokyo has likely become even worse. When I last lived in Tokyo, my commute to work via the subway was 20 minutes, while the same via my bike (even with the advantage of increased mobility and lane splitting) was twice that.

However, as one would expect, riding in general was usually far more exciting! 140 Mph alongside the Sumida river through the heart of the city at 3:00 in the morning is a rush that only a stupid young man does... I knew him.
:hammer:
:-D

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Rocket will be a little tougher getting thru traffic as I have seen done on videos. Some of those individuals are really defying death (as you stated you must have done).

Be careful out there onefreeborn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Large bikes are a pain in heavy traffic in Japan. I would have one small scooter and your RIII for the road since some smaller bikes are restricted to certain lanes etc. But, smaller bikes commuting in a crowd makes sense and gas milage is a must as well.

Here is a hint of what's up.. http://www.thejapanfaq.com/bikerfaq-classes.html[addsig]

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point HotRod, you're right.

Don't worry about the stupid riding. Those days are over, due to many lessons learned over the years. However, unfortunately as you all know, it's not only me that's risking my own skin when I ride these days.

Last year is a perfect example, I spent a couple of weeks in University Medical with collapsed lungs, trashed shoulder and ribs, etc. after a woman nailed me and my 1st Rocket (totalled it - so had to get another, heh heh) from behind on I-15 expressway right here in the middle of Vegas at about 11 in the morning. Traffic had come to a dead stop... and she didn't. The 40 mph impact blew me from the fast lane into the center barricade. Then, insult to injury, while I lay on the concrete, she backed up, and drove within 6 inches of my head while attempting escape as traffic started to move. I thought I was somewhere out in the middle of the freeway; thinking, "Why are there car tires zipping past my face?" (I was wearing a short helmet, but I've FINALLY wised up to a full-face only... everywhere, all the time.)

Anyway, she cut across to the right-most lanes and pumped it up to 90 zipping in and out of the Flamingo & Tropicana exits headed for... what... 250 miles of open desert before Los Angeles??? Sheesh! heh heh. However, the Nevada Highway Patrol, with cars and a helicopter, was soon on her (what ARE these idiots thinking when they try to outrun a bird) and they hauled her to jail, for reckless driving & hit and run, after her ruptured radiator finally caused an engine seizure. Of course, she was convicted.

Insurance? She had the bare minimum... $10,000 vehicle, and $15,000 for medical (hah! useless.) Of course, my insurance had to cover everything.

But, I'm blessed; I came out of it and feel confident I've recovered fully... if not just a tad paranoid any time I stop. I might look a bit like a bobble-head toy with my cranium bouncing back and forth between the stop-light and my mirrors. :wink:

Well, although a bit long, I hope I haven't bored you with my story.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If anyone has been riding for any length of time, they most likely have one of those accident stories to tell. I also had a dramatice accident in my past but still love the riding experience. Hope you are able to make the arrangements you need to have a Rocket in Japan

Good luck to you, & do plenty of neck excercises to get ready for the road.

My father always told me to stop well behind the vehicle in front of you when at a light (or sign). That way, you leave yourself a bit of room to manuver (escape route) to possibly get out of the line of fire. Come to think of it, I should practice that more. "Thanks Dad!"

[ This message was edited by: rusty on 2006-12-13 06:02 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts