Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 1999 Tiger last week and I am trying to sort things out before summer. I am looking at the right side stock pannier and would like to modify it to gain more room. My thought is to install a lighter exhaust that would mount under the pannier. I don't want to make more noise, I want more room in the pannier. The space looks large e-nuf to store a tent! Looks like I can save some weight also with an aluminum or carbon exhaust. I would leave the boom box on the exhaust and modify the exit and run the exhaust close to horizional.
Any one do this mod, or am I thinking too hard and just ride it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds like a fine idea. THe 955 Sprint ST's had you lower the exhaust before mounting hard bags for the very reason you mentioned. I guess on the Tiger that would seriously cut into your ground clearance when venturing off-road, but if you're not doing that it should be okay.

The other way to go would be Touratech or Moto-Sport panniers where the pannier mounting frame sits outside of the exhaust. Makes it wide in the back, but you get a proper pannier without the exhaust cut-out!

·
Registered
240 Posts
The other way to go would be Touratech or Moto-Sport panniers where the pannier mounting frame sits outside of the exhaust.
SW-Motech pannier frames sit outboard the silencer too. I have recently fitted a set for Kappa/Givi Monokey luggage. The frames are also detachable in 30 seconds or so with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Take less stuff?

It's a radical thought, but just take less gear. Yes, the right "comedy" pannier is small, but it's big enough to still be useful if packed carefully.
When the missus and I go away for two weeks of touring , she has the left pannier, I have the top box, the bike has the right pannier for the locks, waterproofs, tools, oil etc, The tank bag is for documents, camera and so on.
Over the years, we have just got used to taking minimal clothes. We each take one pair of shoes, one pair of trousers, a couple of shirts, A jumper, underwear and thats about it. Take really old stuff which you can throw away (or recycle!) before coming home. Anything else you need can be bought on the road. The bike handles better for having to carry less weight too!

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm with Tiggerdave,take the minimum on tour.We have toured 2 up for 2 weeks with the 2 panniers and topbox and no tankbag.It is a challenge,especially when the missus insists on carrying a hairdryer etc. We will be even more challenged as my new 1050 Tiger with Triumph luggage arrives tomorrow and the luggage capacity is less than the 955. So we'll have to take even less or opt for the tankbag,which I'd like to avoid as it is inconvenient at petrol stops. Anything is possible.I've toured solo for 10 days with just a tankbag.A big help is to wear allweather gear as then you don't need space for waterproofs,although I do prefer wearing leathers for comfort and fit. It's surprising how few clothes you need,especially if you're doing big mileage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's not the clothes that are the problem. It's room to pack the tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, cooking gear, water bucket, food etc. Like myself, Timbercruzer goes where motels and hotels don't exist. I manage to tour two up, with camping gear for two, using the standard bags and a U-Bag on top. Forget the top box, it is too heavy and has too little capacity. My wife likes the "armchair" security the U-Bag gives her. For solo touring the U-Bag can be reversed and used as a backrest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd love to see an exhaust option for the Tiger which would keep the plumbing under the bike, or at least under the panniers. Never did like the upward trend in exhaust pipe placement over the last decade or two.
At least a few manufacturers are now going the other direction. The "under the motor" muffler is one of the things Buell, and Kawasaki with the Versys got right, in my opinion. Seems to me that with some clever engineering a muffler tucked under the Tiger motor wouldn't take away any more ground clearance than the stock collector.
A small diameter pipe could still be routed up high for those who actually do ride through deep water.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really liked how they re-routed the exhaust for the 1050 ST (triple exhaust under the seat). Solved the problem of lowering the exhaust for panniers on the 955 ST's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The exhaust taking away pannier space doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is that it routes UNDER the MOTOR which is a terrible design for anyone taking these beasts offroad. If someone designed an exhaust to go off to the side of the bike I would be ecstatic. Nothing like another good THREE INCHES of ground clearance to up the heart rate!

·
Read Only
296 Posts
I think this is a good idea too. I would like to use my throw over panniers without them burning or being lop-sided (just plain ugly ;) ).
I've been looking at parts fiches and from what I can see I think the exhaust system for a 955 sprint st will do the job. It would need a little creativity with the mountings but I think a low level exhaust could be achieved. When I have cash I might start playing :D

Wayne

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Under Mount Exhaust

I picked up a Remus muffler this weekend at a local bike swap meet for $25. I had to act fast because of the good prices on things. It looks like it could be a good match, except my bud noticed it is made for a left mounting location, not a right as needed. I do have access to tools for a mod but I really wish it was for the other side. I have a trip planed for the end of May which I will be camping, one up. I have a drybag that I will strap to the rear rack to hold my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and chair. I have a tank bag that will hold mics. items like cell phone, camera, glasses, water bag. Tools, extra tube, rain gear and cooking stuff will go into the right paninier and the left one will hold my clothes. I like to pack as light as possible, down low as possible. I will know better after this trip if it's worth the bother for me to make the mod to lower the exhaust.
This is one top heavy bike for a guy with short legs.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It's really no problem solving things like this IF...you throw enough money at the problem.
The steamer headers run to the side of the engine but the engines have different spacing between the exhaust ports but you could adapt one...probably.
Go to a custom shop and see if they would be prepared to make the headers to your spec. then you can fit the muffler of you choice on the end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help

SW-Motech pannier frames sit outboard the silencer too. I have recently fitted a set for Kappa/Givi Monokey luggage. The frames are also detachable in 30 seconds or so with a screwdriver.
Hi there chazzy, dont supose you have the original tiger luggage frames in your box of bits do you, thanks Steve

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi there chazzy, dont supose you have the original tiger luggage frames in your box of bits do you, thanks Steve
My Tiger didn't have luggage frames, hence my purchase of some. In the UK, Triumph only fitted them as standard during the model run-out period (I think)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
All we use the Tiger for is long distance travel and holidays,otherwise it stands in the garage and use something else,and we've never had to use panniers,big tankbag and 50lt topbox,waterproofs on the top.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts