Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
When I lived in Italy in the early 70s, the left lane was used exclusively for passing or high speed travel, signaled by the left blinker remaining on as long as that vehicle was in the left lane. I've always thought that was an elegant solution and wondered why it's never been adopted in the US. (The answer is all too simple, it'd just be another law to ignore.)

I had 2 cars, a late 60s Fiat 850 and a newer more powerful Fiat 127 (all 900cc's worth). Neither vehicle could get out of its own way let alone out of the way of a Ferrari or Maserati or Merc or Bimmer thundering past in the left lane. I didn't want to be in that lane unless I absolutely had to to pass something slower than me (say a Fiat 500 or Citroen 2CV) and the road was clear for a good distance fore and aft.

Even HOV lanes get held up. I've driven through the Salt Lake Valley at midnight and people are plugging up the HOV lane. Most individuals wishing to make time through SLC ignore the HOV lane and simply pass everything everywhere else.

Me? I take the back roads as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
We get lots of Hispanics here that really don't know that the left lane is for passing...got behind one yesterday...took a couple of flashes of the brights in the Sprint to get him to move over. As for the cell-phone using, Starbucks-swilling, low-brain-utilization percentage soccer moms and biz types, the below might work better.

Derswede

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,503 Posts
I don't really mind that much. If someone wants to go slower than I do, and they happen to be in front of me, that's life. They probably have a good reason for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This article really burned my A$$. I cant stand these whining crying babies who want everyone to get out of THEIR way screw them. If someone is going to slow in your lane go around them its really not that hard. Let be honest here those people arent using the left lane to just pass they just want to drive faster thats all its such a crock. Its just pure selfishness to expect people to get out of your way cause you need to go faster makes me sick.

I average around 75 on the highway and still get tailgated constantly and get pestered by aholes flashing their highbeams at me, its dangerous and causes more problems than it fixes. This article basically encourages more people to act like morons. I understand that if I dont want to go faster than go in the other lane.....yeah only problem is the cars in other lanes typically do 60-55 on a 65mph zone and all the semis travel in those lanes too. I have to say I enjoy driving fast too but I do it where its meant to be done, on a track. It dosent take a lot of skill to drive fast on the highway.

Lastly not knocking anybody who posted earlier, more annoyed at the article in general and wanted to rant

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I average around 75 on the highway and still get tailgated constantly and get pestered by aholes flashing their highbeams at me, its dangerous and causes more problems than it fixes.

Tony:
I laughed when I read your response, you and i both know being from Boston if you average 75 on the highway it must be early morning or late at night. If the left passing lane is clogged the break down lane or any other lane that's open is just as good. Know one from Boston crosses the T's or dots the I's when it comes to driving. We wrote the book when it comes to whining cry babies who want everyone to get out of their way.Ask the guy from BOSTON...lol.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I saw that article too...

It would be nice if CA started doing that...

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
This article really burned my A$$. I cant stand these whining crying babies who want everyone to get out of THEIR way screw them.
From the article:
"A few states -- for instance, Kentucky, Maine Massachusetts and New Jersey -- permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left."

It's the law. Move to the right or floor it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Okay, here is what annoys me. Somebody flashing their lights at you to move over when there is a line of 50 cars in front of you going the same speed and no room to move over. Often the norm in Seattle. I stay out of the left lane often because it moves the same speed as the other lanes but it is where the tailgaters live. Admittedly there is nothing less considerate then two cars side by side at 50 mph and nothing but clear road. That doesn't happen here very often. Why I should move over so somebody can move up one place in the line escapes me. Chill out you will get there. If you want to have fun stay off freeways. Why are people in such a hurry to get to work or wherever.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I work with a woman who absolutely insists that it's legal to travel in the left lane, and was told so when she got her license here in MA (she came from Michigan). After telling her that a state trooper friend of mine said that it was illegal she simply said that he was wrong. Telling her to look it up on the computer brought the reply: "Well, they've changed the law since then". She still will not accept the fact; I should tell her that MA is going to enforce it now according to the newspaper last night, but she'd probably just say it was a misprint!! Fattony, the reason that they are "pushing" you at 75 is because most of the left lane is going 85; I use 495 a lot, and that seems to be the mean left lane speed. WELCOME TO MASSACHUSETTS...........WILD IN THE STREETS!!!

You know, it can be fun, though: Jim

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ever since I started riding, I learned to have a bit more patience when it comes to travel....but, when I am in the left lane, I'm moving 80. Sorry 75MPH left lane guys....you should still get out of my way :p

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
..free membership for paying attention? :p

·
Premium Member
17,503 Posts
Absolutely! Print out the forms, fill our four copies (one in black ink, one in blue ink, one in green ink, and one in the color the sasquatch's spleen), and deliver them to Tbird in person on the third full moon of next February.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hey guys, yeah I know all about the "left lane laws" and we all know nobody follows them including me. I ever get yanked over for traveling in the left lane ill accept a ticket with out arguing. Like I said I average 75 I didnt say I just sit there and do 75 to be a $#@*, keeping up with traffic is important. Also I dont have any problem getting out of the way if the other lanes are open

what annoys me is idiots who fly up your A$$ out of nowhere, ride an inch from your bumper, and then think its perfectly fine to blast by you and then swerve in front almost nailing you . No I dont put up with that S ever. Saw a guy in an escalade last year roll over going 90 with his whole family in the car doing the same crap.

Jim: ha yeah it gets pretty interesting out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts