Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Was looking for a solution that allowed me to mount the pillion pegs and still keep my high-mount exhaust. The ultimate goal is more about having additional places to place my feet on really long rides, with a small side effect of occasionally having a second person on board.

Was just kinda goofing around with placement, and came up with the idea of moving the pegs forward in order to clear the exhaust. This is what I ended up with:

I used a length of 1-inch wide, 1/4-inch thick stock, with holes spaced to match the width of the peg mounts. Only threaded the front hole because I felt like it, not because it was necessary. I believe that it is better not to thread the rear two holes since the holes on the frame are threaded and thread alignment could be an issue. The "pass through" holes are 5/16 and not metric since I don't have a metric bit large enough to clear an M8 bolt.

Cleaned and sanded the whole thing, then hit it with some truck bed liner out of a rattle can.
The color is not a perfect match, but the texture is about right.

On both sides, I needed two fairly thin washers in between the bar and the frame in order to clear the weld beads on the frame.
Mounting on the left side was straight forward, no other clearance needed.

On the right side, I needed a little more additional clearance so that the foot peg was not contacting the exhaust. Four more washers was all was necessary to clear the pipe.

I now have about 1/4-inch clearance at every point between the peg and the exhaust. Sorry the pic is so blurry, I couldn't get the right angle to make my phone focus better.

So there it is! I'm not going to say this would work with any high-mount exhaust, but it does work with my two bros. Only thing I have left to do is to source some socket head bolts for all the the mounting points so it doesn't look so happenstance.

Overall foot clearance between the pegs (back-->front) is barely sufficient to clear a second set of feet, provided the passenger is on the balls or mid-sole of their feet and not their heels. For me riding solo, however, the placement is great. It offers me two more comfortable positions to put my feet: full on the rear pegs, and heel/rear peg-->toe/front peg.

·
Super Moderator
21,954 Posts
Have you actually tried it with a passenger yet?
I know with my Rizoma rear-sets it definitely would not work

The solution that was supplied with my high pipe was a couple of longer bolts and stand-off spacer dowels for the right side, which just moves the peg outboard, but not forward at all.
Mind you, the position of those two mounting points is still over the mid-pipe with my Blueflame exhaust, not over part of the can itself as it would be with yours.

But the ultimate solution - just got my Mrs her own bike! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you actually tried it with a passenger yet?
I know with my Rizoma rear-sets it definitely would not work

The solution that was supplied with my high pipe was a couple of longer bolts and stand-off spacer dowels for the right side, which just moves the peg outboard, but not forward at all.
Mind you, the position of those two mounting points is still over the mid-pipe with my Blueflame exhaust, not over part of the can itself as it would be with yours.

But the ultimate solution - just got my Mrs her own bike! :D
Lucky for me, there's no Mrs...all balls, no chain...:D:D

Any passengers for me, it would be as two strangers, passing [slow moving cars] in the night.

All that said, no, have not tried with passengers yet, the "barely fit" part was based on my roommate sitting behind me stationary on the bike.

Ultimately, the second set of pegs is pretty much all about me, and having additional places to put my feet on long rides, and to that end these pegs are just about right. If they're completely unbearable to a passenger, I might move them to another location, but am pleased with them where they are for now. Time will tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts