Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of making custom brackets for a rear parcel rack. Or I should say I've gotten my father in law to use his prowess with welding and his friend with a plasma cutter to make my custom brackets for me in return for a large bucket of my homemade spicy fried chicken. I'm making the brackets out of stainless, soon to be highly polished, and was stumped with how high to mount the rack. Here's a rear shot of my bike:

So, the question is should the top part of the rack be at the same height level as the top of the seat, or at about midway up the seat, which is about an inch below the top of the seat. I'm starting to think maybe about 3/4 of an inch lower than the top of the seat would look good. I was also thinking that the rack should be at the same angle as the seat in terms of parallel to the ground, rather than at an angle sloping up, any opinions on the correct angle?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think I met you last spring on the side of the road by the Titicus Reservoir. I tried to pm you, but I haven't posted enough for that to work. I was on my red tba.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hepco & Becker makes a rear rack for the Scrambler. Theirs is a little higher than the seat, but almost level.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,
Unclecharlie, you're right that was me - hope you're doing well, I just sent you a PM. Orpheus, I didn't know Hepco and Becker made that rack, that's a really nice one, yep I see how it's slightly higher than the seat level. Thanks for the photos and the info. Mine has the backrest, so in that kind of setup, where there's the backrest and the rack both mounted I thought the correct level is either flush with the seat top or slightly lower, leaning towards slightly lower maybe even just 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch but I might go with flush to the seat level. f650blue, the screen is the Triumph accessory "clear fly screen" for the Scrambler, it's a nice balance between looks and function.

·
Registered
581 Posts
GT - the Ventura rack is about the same level as the seat, much like that Hepco and Becker one. Just about 3/4 inch lower would probably look better, I think.
By the way, got my flyscreen last week - a good bit of kit, as you said. Haven't tested it on a long run yet, but seems worthwhile so far - cheers Pat

·
Registered
679 Posts
On 2007-02-21 20:30, DrPat wrote:
GT - the Ventura rack is about the same level as the seat, much like that Hepco and Becker one. Just about 3/4 inch lower would probably look better, I think.
By the way, got my flyscreen last week - a good bit of kit, as you said. Haven't tested it on a long run yet, but seems worthwhile so far - cheers Pat
I use one of the fly screens on mine (color coordinated, not clear) and like it as well.

Fred

·
Registered
40 Posts
On 2007-02-21 18:18, GleaminTwin wrote:
Hey Guys,
Unclecharlie, you're right that was me - hope you're doing well, I just sent you a PM.
[/quote
I tried again to pm you, but I'm still under the limit.
Spring is coming, let's ride!
Uncle Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts