Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For work I design training programs for the US Military aviation community. Yesterday I was working with a pilot on one of our high definition F-18 simulators. We were seton up a training scenario to be simulated over Switzerland. We were flying in the mountains over Interlaken. The terrain was set at half-meter resolution, so we could see clear details of roads buildings, vehicles, etc.

The countryside was magnificent and I couldn't help looking at the roads,which were everywhere, and imagining how much fun it would be to ride them on my Sprint. The terrain imagery is extremely accurate and realistic. I think I may have tripped over my dream vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
well think you need to have a work trip over there to verify that the simulator is up to date with the roads and verify they are as fun as they look

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already working on it! Unfortunately, pilots seem to be more in demand than instructional designers! LOL

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I have an email friend off this site, and Englishman in Switzerland. He and I struck a chord because he loved his '95 Speedie and now wants something smaller and sharper - he's considering a Kato. We have a few overlaps in terms of likes and dislikes.

He convinced me that if you want to be spayed, but are reluctant to visit the doctor, speeding in Switzerland could be an alternative option.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
The countryside was magnificent and I couldn't help looking at the roads,which were everywhere, and imagining how much fun it would be to ride them on my Sprint. The terrain imagery is extremely accurate and realistic. I think I may have tripped over my dream vacation!
Don't have to imagine it. I've done it The whole Alps region is stunning and even better are the Dolomites in the south Tyrol(north east Italy) Get there hire a bike do it.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
When I lived outside of Geneva, my friends and I would spend every weekend up in the mountains. The Alps, As Nickwiz just said, are stunning. Truly spectacular.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
...if you want to be spayed, but are reluctant to visit the doctor, speeding in Switzerland could be an alternative option.
As a counterpoint to this, I lived in a little French town just over the border from Geneva for five years. I sped everywhere, got flashed by Swiss traffic cameras many times and never once received a ticket.

My best guess is they couldn't be bothered to track down a set of French plates to issue the ticket.

So when you go, don't take a Swiss-plated bike.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
One of my top ten rides was when I was in Austria and my buddy got me a R100 "Classic" and we rode the Alps in Austria for a day. I was great!!

I recommend it for any rider who wants great roads and spectacular scenery.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
As a counterpoint to this, I lived in a little French town just over the border from Geneva for five years. I sped everywhere, got flashed by Swiss traffic cameras many times and never once received a ticket.

My best guess is they couldn't be bothered to track down a set of French plates to issue the ticket.

So when you go, don't take a Swiss-plated bike.
When I was down in Switzerland a couple of years ago on the Scrambler I got flashed without realising it and got a ticket through the post to Germany. €60 for 5km/h over the limit. My German plates didn't save me. Personally I prefer Austria (although they're also pretty tough on speeding) or best of all, as Nickwiz says, Northern Italy.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Look for the Furka Pass and the Fluela Pass.

There are videos on YouTube.

Great riding, zig zag roads up one side then more of the same down the other side.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
When I was down in Switzerland a couple of years ago on the Scrambler I got flashed without realising it and got a ticket through the post to Germany. €60 for 5km/h over the limit. My German plates didn't save me. Personally I prefer Austria (although they're also pretty tough on speeding) or best of all, as Nickwiz says, Northern Italy.
Either I'm charmed or you have bad luck. Sorry to hear about your ticket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts