Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st, I'm a newbie to this forum and the bike, but I did search first and couldn't find any posts of having the same issue, so please be patient if I missed something.

Quick rundown: I just bought a gently used 1998 t509 Speed Triple, love the bike, but previous owner had removed indicators. I am trying to be as safe as possible, so I mounted some Motrax LED Dinkywinkaz in the front and Motrax LED Mini Ovals in the rear. Wired them up and am only getting 4 of the LEDs on the front lighting (very dim at that) and nothing on the rear. Put voltage meter on wiring to test and both signals started working fine. Remove meter, back to same problem. Yes, I know the quick and easy would be to just leave the meter on, but not really the answer I'm looking for :p

I have tried changing the indicator relay to the EP36 mentioned in other posts and only got dimmer lights and have added load equalizers inline and got no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Breaux

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like there may not be enough load to keep the flasher engaged long enough to fully light them. Have you swapped to an electronic "LED rated" flasher? I'd try that first, they're ~$10 @ NAPA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VWTim,

Thanks for the suggestion, but haven't had any luck yet. The NAPA parts guy was clueless and so far I still haven't had any luck.

You wouldn't happen to have the part #, would you?

Joemamma,

The ground is good enough to work with the multimeter inline, so I am assuming that is not the problem, but again, I'm no electrician...:cool:

BP

·
Super Moderator
21,825 Posts
An electronic relay will not work properly with LEDS on a T509 without modification because of the way the incandescent dash panel indicator light is wired.
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/71658-l-e-d-signal-problem-help.html

As far as basics not working, ensure that you have them wired up correctly, with correct polarity.
When using load resistors, one common misconception is to wire them in series with the lamp (i.e. between the + wire & the LED +)
That is incorrect - they connect in parallel -ACROSS the lamp connections (between the + & -)
Using load resistors you should not require an electronic relay (although it won't hurt) and you won't need to mod the indicator light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts