Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the editior's page in the most recent issue, the print version is going away. Typical excuses about seismic changes in the world of print publishing, so they have to end it. Great history, but no future?

Is it not true that there are hundreds of print magazines that are doing just fine? If it was a lack of readership for Motorcyclist magazine, they didn't say so. The last issue had plenty of full page advertisements, but they whined about the ad dollars.

I once had a boss that told me, Excuses are like a**holes, everybodys got one.

It's always easier to quit, but maybe John Bloor will buy the name and keep it alive. John are you there??

Adios, with best wishes,

Weedie:surprise:

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
Is it not true that there are hundreds of print magazines that are doing just fine? If it was a lack of readership for Motorcyclist magazine, they didn't say so. The last issue had plenty of full page advertisements, but they whined about the ad dollars.
As usual, my thoughts on a topic like this are complex and probably too deep. But here goes...

I think the problem is with what corporate America considers successful. Does it seem that readership and advertising is less today than it was for this magazine twenty years ago? Forty years ago? Why was it considered successful then and not now? Magazines used to be run by enthusiasts, not corporations. I imagine the corporate perception of success has more to do with this than any real success.

I still like to hold a physical magazine in my hands and read an article on paper. But magazines that were once sacred now suffer through changing ownership, mergers, restructuring, and finally the press being shut down. It is truly sad.

Magazines are not the only ones suffering this. Newspapers and traditional news channels are shuttered almost daily now. Local radio stations are bought by national conglomerates and the local character sanitized out in favor of generic programming. A few executives make a killing without a single care for how the end product serves the local communities.

I am sorry to see Motorcyclist Magazine go. It has gotten me through many flights while on business trips.

Sean

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I took my LAST issue of Motorcyclist out of the mail box when I got home minutes ago.
Agree with the above, commented in the past thread when the quarterly issues were announced in place of monthly.
Had already said goodbye to Cycle World and Popular Science for same reasons (all from the same publisher).

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Motorcyclist and Cycle World became garbage in my view. Stopped receiving both many moons ago. For me it was the change in Editors and personnel. There's no replacement for talented writers. The only rag I get is BIKE from the UK. Expensive for a mag, but I like. Especially the across the pond perspectives and language.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I gave up on Motorcyclist when it became a hipster magazine instead of a motorcycling magazine. UK Bike is fantastic, often funny, always relevant and a pleasure to read, if expensive. My wife gives it to me for Christmas each year, and I pass each issue on to my riding buddy who gets just as much enjoyment from it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
......and I pass each issue on to my riding buddy who gets just as much enjoyment from it.
And therein lies one of the problems.

Anyone remember 'Cycle'. In my opinion the best of the US magazines especially through the 1970s/80s when Cook Neilson was at the helm.

And what an editorial team. Gordon Jennings, Phil Schilling, Kevin Cameron, LJK Setright, Ed Hertfelder, Jim Greening, Steve Anderson et al.

Never really understood why the publisher closed Cycle to concentrate on the lower rung Cycle World. Ad revenue no doubt.

In a masterstroke of irony some of that team contributed to the slow death of their potential employers when, in the early 90s, Anderson, Jennings, and Kevin Cameron started "Wheelbase," an on-line subscription-based electronic motorcycle magazine way before the majority of the world was even aware the Internet existed.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The motorcycle magazine business pretty much killed itself. They just turned in to 77 pages of advertising that they expected the reader to pay for. Staff on these publications no longer have any writing talent whatsoever. No effort is any longer made to make things interesting. Reviews on bikes just became "riding impressions" by journalists who are too young to have a viable opinion on anything. Sorry young people, but you need some experience in life before your opinion is based on anything. I just quit reading all of them a few years back. ...J.D.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I really liked the new format they had. I thought they did a good job to interest younger riders. Minimalist. Cycle World is doing the same thing. I like having a mag on the coffee table or the crapper, lol.

Too bad it's going away after so many years in continuous publication. 1912, did the say?
I will say that there are so many choices to go to read about motorcycles online. Plus with small laptops, netbooks, tablets and smart phones, it's as comfortable to sit on the couch and scroll.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sean

"What corporate America considers successful" You nailed it there man - in my experience with the corporate world, the decision making is the classic mystery wrapped in a riddle. It all goes along with the death of common sense.

So, they sent me a post card with the epitaph, and will fill the rest of the subscription with issues of Cycle magazine. Bonnier Corp. gets the "grey ribbon" award for fourth rate customer relations.

Gee thanks!

Weedie

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love paper magazines...i just love them. I used to pay for some to come from europe. They are awesome.

I buy many motorcycle subscriptions just because i think they are so affordable, i buy them as gifts for my friends for bdays etc. I think they are the best gift you can get your friend instead of something silly/useless

I specially like to buy them for my friends who are on the fence or slightly interested ? and i DEFINITELY buy them for those folks who like to faint interest like during a business meeting or something

For me it s a way to support print press. I dont read everything i get, but i feel good if i read a story or two and the editorial

with that said, i store them, i have a lot, i love when suddenly i m interested in a specific bike, i can go back and read with much more focus about it, as opposed to the reading i do when i m just casually going tru the paper

I have issues from the 80s and 90s and even older that i bought from older fellow riders ?

·
Super Moderator
1,997 Posts
About the only cycle magazine I read anymore is MCN. It's usually pretty good and does not have all the advertising.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a current CYCLE WORLD subscriber--just renewed--and subscribed for several years to the magazine under the old monthly format. I'm sure that if they could have survived under the old format they would have continued under that formula forever. The old magazine was pretty much made to be read and thrown away, while the new one is artsier and quite a bit nicer in terms of the photos and writing for the average article. So, I guess I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I enjoy both versions. I'm a 48 year-old who likes ADV bikes and Triumphs and craft beer, and am not so much into sportbikes or Harleys, so the relaunch is probably aimed right at me.

If I was running the CYCLE WORLD show, I would have alternated the new "glitzy" issues with the old-school "trashy" issues (they could have called it CYCLE WORLD RETRO ;)), so as to satisfy people who liked it both ways. I know advertising people would laugh at that as blurring your brand, but the brand's pretty blurred already--motorcycle sales are declining generally, with an older base of fans that isn't into change.

Still, though, when both MOTORCYCLIST and CYCLE WORLD went to that quarterly, glossy format, I was pretty sure there wasn't going to be room enough for both magazines. Trouble is, there's really not much demand for any magazines at all, so CYCLE WORLD, with either model, is probably not more than a year away from being DOA.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I was running the CYCLE WORLD show, I would have alternated the new "glitzy" issues with the old-school "trashy" issues (they could have called it CYCLE WORLD RETRO ;)), so as to satisfy people who liked it both ways. I know advertising people would laugh at that as blurring your brand, but the brand's pretty blurred already--motorcycle sales are declining generally, with an older base of fans that isn't into change.

That's actually a really cool idea

·
Registered
69 Posts
* The Caviar of Two Wheels.

I think this one in particular is interesting, it's dated April 1977 and it was advertised as the new "Cafe Racer"
most people think the Cafe Racer is a new phenomenon or at least that it has never been re-visited since its initial creation.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I think this one in particular is interesting, it's dated April 1977 and it was advertised as the new "Cafe Racer" most people think the Cafe Racer is a new phenomenon or at least that it has never been re-visited since its initial creation.
Based on the 1974-1977 R90S. :p

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't miss magazines, can't remember the last time I bought or looked at one. You can go to their YT page and get a lot more information and entertainment. Seeing on the newpapers die, especially the ones around here that were never a reflection of their readership's leanings, has been especially delightful.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts