Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl is getting old and she's got some chips in the paint and in addition the paint is fading from the Florida sun. The Imperial Green just isn't as deep as it used to be.

I'd originally thought of a new paint job but I thought maybe having her wrapped like some of these cars/sport bikes I see around might give an interesting look.

I've got green Galfer lines on her so I thought about keeping green in the wrap in some manner

Any opinions or ideas??

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My brother in law in Myrtle Beach, SC has done some. Not easy over a tank, but it is possible. I'll call and see if he can give me a range of $$ for such a deal. One note...some are "heat shrunk" on...think of a big torch near your tank and you see why lots of folks don't do it.

The vinyl is printed upon, so most any color that an inkjet printer can do can be wrapped...he has done BOATS before....I imagine that such would be a bigger challenge than a bike.

He does several bikes before the Bike Weeks in MB, so he has some experience, and he rides as well. I'll see what he says.

Derswede

·
Registered
128 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it. The big appeal of the classic triples is their vintage/traditional styling with the spoke wheels, etc. A vinyl wrap is a wild departure from classic motorcycle paintwork, and I can't imagine it would look very good.

I say have it repainted, it's not that expensive if you tear down and prep the parts yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
You should be able to cut back the dead oxidised paint using a cutting compound, although that won't help with the chips.

And you can get polymer polishes that claim to provide UV protection and prevent weathering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts