Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Too sensitive?

Let's accept it, the Bonneville is a great entry level bike. In addition, it is a great multi-faceted bike that is easy to modify to what you want a bike to be within certain limits. You can turn it into a cafe racer, a tourer or maybe just a fun bike to ride. Many riders have switched to HDs only to return. The same goes for several who opted for sport bikes only to return. Personally I would like to have one of each genre.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I took my bike out for its first dusk/dark ride this evening...just a short run. Came upon a guy bent way over on a Ducati Classic and a guy on a Monster. Played a little stop light ballet with the guy on the Monster and he was perhaps fractionally quicker but not enough to matter. The guy on the Classic either didn't know how to ride or his bike was sick as he seemed to be lagging behind.
Aside from the look and handling of the bike...god I love to lean this bike over....the riding position is what I like the best about the Bonnie. I really don't want a bike from each genre as I had my last cruiser and sport bikes as much as I like them have too aggressive a riding position unless you are flying at the track.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
355 Posts
I love this "entry level" tag....I've been riding for over 40 years and its got all the power I can possibly use in everyday riding and handles just fine and has great brakes...entry level is a 175 or 250 so an inexperienced rider can ge the hang of it...a bike that weighs 450lb and does 100mph pretty easily isnt "entry level" by my books

·
30,525 Posts
I don't really care what some namby pamby journalist thinks to be honest. I like the bike, so I ride it. It's a simple system - and you do have to have a system - that works for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its the perfect entry level bike! feels safe, rides like a dream and you cant wipe the grin off.

its my first big bike and my only one for a loooong time couldnt even think of trading up... where is up from here?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Entry level or not, after 40 plus years and 400,000 plus miles of motorcycling on over 20 bikes of all kinds during that time, the Scrambler gets out of the garage more often now because it's just :)MORE FUN!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wouldn't call a bike that can do 50 mph in 1st gear and 70 mph in 2nd gear entry level.:eek:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think we've all become accustom to excess. The Bonneville is enough motorcycle for a typical street rider. Maybe the power would be an issue for 2 up with luggage but for a single rider it's fine. It's only when you compare it to bikes with a power to weight ratio of the space shuttle it looks weak.

There is also more to a bike than power. The feel, sound, and comfort are important to some people (me!). The Bonnie is easy to ride but if it's an entry level bike than there are a ton of other entry level bikes out there too!

It works for me!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love this "entry level" tag....I've been riding for over 40 years and its got all the power I can possibly use in everyday riding and handles just fine and has great brakes...entry level is a 175 or 250 so an inexperienced rider can ge the hang of it...a bike that weighs 450lb and does 100mph pretty easily isnt "entry level" by my books
Think that might be it for quite a lot of us... We've had bikes for years and we (well, I) tend to judge my Bonnie against bikes I had in the 1970s and 1980s. And on that basis, and overall, the Bonnie is faster, breaks better, accelerates harder and is a damn sight more reliable than practically anything I've owned. But there are riders in the UK who regard 90bhp as underpowered and won't look at anything that can't do 180mph.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts