Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on the news tonight. Glad to hear that this Iraq Vet Rider survived this accident. The driver of the car that hit him did not have a license or insurance.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Glad he survived although from the video he definitely looks like he was in pain.

It looked too as if he locked up his rear tire. Whether or not he was crushing the front brake with the same intensity is not evident. I'm not sure I can fault him because, he was merely a victim of something already happening. However, he had options. Seeing things developing sooner and adjusting his speed to give more time to maunuever, swerving to the right or left. Being more aware of the car behind and allowing for his bike's ability to stop in a shorter distance than any car.

Don't get me wrong. It looks scary and happened very quickly. I'm just thinking what the rider could've been done differenly.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yeah its good to look at this as a learning experience for the rest of us. I know seeing a video of a guy getting rear ended at a light taught me to position myself for an escape and keep my hand in the throttle.

A situation like this I'd hopefully handle it like I think he should've. Also agree, the blame is not on him.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Motorcycle Android Ap

·
Registered
256 Posts
This thing has been on TV news the last couple days around the country. My wife is using it as another reason to harp on me about commuting once a week in rush hour traffic 35 miles each way.
But it does get you thinking about what you can do to avoid something like this. I really don't think he had time to react for a lane split. The car was far enough behind him it didn't pose an immediate threat (car driver had plenty of time/space to stop)
Personally, I'm thinking about getting a flashing LED strip by the brake light to draw attention to it. And maybe even a hi-vis vest when I do the rush hour commute.

BTW, I believe the bike was a Daytona. He was wearing a Triumph shirt in his interview

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Looks like the driver behind wasn't paying attention or braking at all, so this may not apply. But it's a good idea in traffic like that to ride with plenty of space in front so that you don't need to panic stop (like the biker did), but can consider options and steer accordingly. Regardless of the guy behind, the rider wasn't really in control of the situation. The smoking rear tyre shows that.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't you mean Motorcycle Rider Should have Avoided This Accident?
Sure we can all judge looking at the video where we have a bigger perspective of what's going on... but why are you trying to blame the rider when it was clearly the cagers fault

Sent from my HTC Evo using Motorcycle Android Ap

·
Registered
39 Posts
The rider.during his interview stated.....That he was behind the car that hit him and noticed that the cager was playing with his radio,dancing around in the car,and tapping his brakes.........So the rider decides to go around the inatentive cager......NOW THE RIDERS BIG MISTAKE......He passes the cager and gets in front of a cager that he knows is not paying attention.............I would have put as many cagers between us as i could...BUT YOU DECIDE!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
No, I don't mean that at all.

The cager that plowed into him was at fault.
Yeah, but it was his life on the line. I don't care how guilty the other guy is, if it is my ass at stake I'm going to protect it.

beerzerker;1882354How do you avoid a car to hit you from behind?[/QUOTE said:
a) watch your six

b) if you are in an emergency braking situation expect to get hit from behind, it is under the course catalog of duh 101

c) watch your six

d) prepare for an escape, extraordinarily easy to do on a multi lane limited access highway.

e) watch your ass

f) don't lock up your rear, it is easier and safer to manage a locked front than rear. I'm not saying not to use your rear brake but be wary of it, you lock it up and you are not getting out of the way of anyone (much less your own bike should you highside).

g) watch your ass!

Yes the cager was at fault. yes the rider could've avoided it. No the cager wasn't going to get injured being at fault here. yes the rider could've been killed here.

In the end it doesn't matter who is right or wrong, only who is left alive. You want "well, at least it wasn't his fault" on your tombstone? :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sure we can all judge looking at the video where we have a bigger perspective of what's going on... but why are you trying to blame the rider when it was clearly the cagers fault
How big is your perspective when you are riding? Is it big enough?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ummm, the cager was going so fast that he hit the car in front of the motorcycle.

The rider had plenty of room in front and that is what kept him alive.

He had a white truck to his right and jersey barriers on his left.

The rider just got back from Iraq, so I am sure that he knows all about watching his six.

Like I said, I am glad he survived an accident.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's not like we can't split lanes huh? Excuses, apologists, all ride in the the same lane.

Shoulda coulda woulda are what the couldn’t didn’t wouldn’t crowd say after the fact. I can't tell you how many cager attempts on my life I've averted by being alert and ready for anything.

And if his reaction abilities are that of a soldier...... I wonder if he went out without his flak jacket as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't you mean Motorcycle Rider Should have Avoided This Accident?
Skitt's , I have to agree. I see alot of blame to pass around and the rider should have a big pile of it on his plate. If he had taken all the energy he applied to the rear brake and applied it to the throttle and moved about 5 feet to his left, we probably would not be watching this video and his hospital bills would have been non existent. One of the things that incensed me about this video is the car driver was no license, uninsured. I believe also no charges have been filed against him.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
"Blame" and "fault" are useful in deciding legal and insurance outcomes but are otherwise of no relevance.

All such incidents should be examined, especially by any survivors, in order to improve their handling next time. If you are content to say "well it wasn't my fault" you're also saying "and next time I'll get hurt just as badly".

The rider in this incident was lucky. Hopefully next time he'll have the skill to survive as well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've avoided "accidents" like that by swerving into adjacent lanes. By "accident", I mean negligence. When I brake hard and there's a car following me, I always assume he's going rear end me. Did you guys see tire smoke coming from the motorcycle's tires?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
"Blame" and "fault" are useful in deciding legal and insurance outcomes but are otherwise of no relevance.

All such incidents should be examined, especially by any survivors, in order to improve their handling next time.
Couldn't agree more. Ride to survive: rights and wrongs are meaningless. If anything happens to you (or almost happens), then study it, learn from it - unless you are content to be the victim of other people's incompetence.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Wow, was he ever lucky on that one. Do that one another 25 times and you'd probably be kiiled 24 times.

I don't live in a busy metropolis or have any 5 lane type super highways like that shown in the footage, good thing too as I would defintely not be a motorcyclist in those conditions, ....too too dangerous man! Too many ways to bite the bickie in busy urban scenarios that are impossible to defend against even if your head is on a swivel!

G

·
I find it interesting that some question why the rider didn't do this or that to get out of the way. He was using the back brake to hard meaning he was speeding or he didn't know a car was coming up on his six why not?

The guy is lucky to be alive. The cage driver ran through him and hit the car in front and I didn't see any smoke from the car drivers tires. Why aren't we questioning his driving ability? Why hasn't he been charged with a crime? Oh yea, stupidity isn't a crime. Was he mad at the rider, talking on the phone, running from some one?.The video is 10 seconds long? How would any of us reacted in that split second?
It is to bad his old lady runs his life though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The video is 10 seconds long? How would any of us reacted in that split second?
I was on my favorite twisty two lane road yesterday. Along this road are two quarries and an asphalt company. So you have to watch road surface constantly (luckily they all head west away from the good bends).

Coming towards me a dumptruck. RIGHT AS HE IS ABOUT 40 METERS FROM ME HIS ENTIRE LOAD OF ASPHALT SPILLED OUT! I managed to get away unscathed from this and from the poor cage that tried to swerve into me to avoid the mess.

Why did I survive this? Because I was prepared for it. I saw him coming, always fearful of these big nasty trucks, and was already far over from him and even still managed to swerve further still away as I was passing him.

Always expect the unexpected and you won't end up as a video on youtube.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts